Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Updated Feb 5th 2021

as the 1.0 era of duals closes I believe it’s time to take a look back and how far we’ve come.

So 4 years ago I started this and it’s nice to see how many battles we’ve won, look at how far we’ve come.

hoilett

arfield 

wotherspoon

ferreira

estaquio

sturing

Gutierrez Twins

Ballou

Busti

Aird

leutwiler

Corbeanu 

mitrovic (in progress)

amuz 

bassong

Brym

im surely forgetting more, I’d also like to thank CMNT legend Tesho Akindele who made the brave decision to join us and opened the flood gates for the others to follow, while he’s no longer a star for us he really did start the trend or reversing what JDG and OH did to us, we’ve won many battles while only losing 3 and there is not shame in losing to Italy and England, and we did beat some big nations players and some that are better than us, and let’s not forget that Scotty and Junior would have helped their other options a ton, and I would argue Stephen would push to be involved with Portugal. That’s right Scotland I’m talking to you. While all 3 loses were big ones, I think we can say we got some big wins and one with Theo that may end up being a massive one.

from the current era, the only battles left to fight are those of Kadioglu and Akinola, and we sit at 17-3, with 2 TBD, an exceptional record. Please do tell me if I’m forgetting players or if I can’t count, but at an over 80% success rate this era was a smashing success and credit must go to our nation for the good work they’ve done.

as the 1.0 era closes, the 2.0 era is underway in a future that sees Canada having world class players, plural, in their lineup, while we’re now fighting bigger battles for world class prospects, and some top young talent, so without further ado, its time to talk about the next era:

2.0 Duals world class edition

Marcelo Flores, M Arsenal CAN, MEX, ENG

Lucas Dias M Sporting CAN POR

Chritiru Onduze GK Leicester City CAN, ENG, USA, NIG

please feel free to add other top prospects that we can chase, and I guess Marmoush caliber players ? And if I missed a dual we won let me know.

Edited by Dominic94
Updated title

Lets keep the guys we have first!!   Tabla and Davies need to be on board.  Somebody with the CSA should be helping Davies with his passport paperwork. 

Is TOMORI really gone?  Is that a lost cause? Or can he slink back like some others when England doesnt work out for them?

Edited by Bison44

11 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The big ones are Ricardo Ferreira and Bryan Cristante

It's not worth holding your breath waiting for them to commit, but I think we'll get Cristante eventually. Ferreira would solve a lot of problems but I have a feeling he's less likely. 

Why do you think Cristante will eventually commit over Ferreira. Isn't Ferreira actually born in Canada and Cristante not?

Yeah I could see Cristante if he manages to forge a solid, mid or high level pro career in Europe. There is not a huge bunch of pros to playing for Canada if you don't need the exposure and you're really not from here.

23 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Why do you think Cristante will eventually commit over Ferreira. Isn't Ferreira actually born in Canada and Cristante not?

Ferreira is playing pretty often for a big club and attracting interest from a bigger club while Cristante is struggling to stand out with clubs that are not battling relegation. Cristante has also publicly talked about Canada, considered playing for us and follows Canadian soccer.

28 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Maybe I'm misreading it, but there seems to be fewer people in the depth chart between Ferreira and a cap for Portugal than Cristante for Italy.

That, and the generalization that kids of expats tend to be disproportionately patriotic for their parent's country works in our favour for Cristante but against us with Ferreira. 

I'd say the ship has sailed on him, but Caolan Lavery is another dual national. Played for both our youth and northern irelands, but so far no first team caps.

Andreas Vaikla too. Young Canadian born keeper playing with estonia, has already played friendlies and can still switch.

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'd say the ship has sailed on him, but Caolan Lavery is another dual national. Played for both our youth and northern irelands, but so far no first team caps.

Andreas Vaikla too. Young Canadian born keeper playing with estonia, has already played friendlies and can still switch.

Could be wrong but I think Lavery used his one time switch

21 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Could be wrong but I think Lavery used his one time switch

11 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

He did. He was capped by us at the 2009 U17 qualifiers so he had to use his switch.

19 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

That's my understanding...

My apologies. I wasn't sure and his wiki made it sound like it was only friendlies.

In my opinion why should some of these Canadian players that are playing abroad choose Canada if they got rejected from the provincial or team Canada younger ages  but how they are doing well abroad now Canada wants them

Edited by Offside

5 minutes ago, Offside said:

In my opinion why should some of these Canadian players that are playing abroad choose Canada if they got rejected from the provincial or team Canada younger ages  but how they are doing well abroad now Canada wants them

UGGHH! Whats wrong with the world??  Is that really what these young players think??  If they dont get recognized as the "top prospect" at the youth level they will hold it against the nation later on if they are successful?  What ever happened to late bloomers??  I'm glad Larin doesnt think like that. 

17 hours ago, Offside said:

- because of national pride

- because sometimes not getting picked for a team is part of competitive sports, so using it to hold a permanent grudge seems juvenile

- because, despite a number of false dawns, there is a feeling that we are progressing as a footy nation

- because we are Canadian footy fans and we don't need a rational reason to hope excellent players opt to play for our national team

Yeah, I never understood the logic of "When I was 15 you said I wasn't good enough, now all of a sudden I'm 22 and playing professionally and you think I'm good enough now? Make up your mind!"

When these kids sign an academy deal with a pro team, they don't walk straight onto the pitch with the senior team... because they aren't good enough yet. They don't hold that against the pro team, why would they hold it against a national program? Sorry, there are 20 guys in the country at your age level that in our opinion are better than you at the moment. Better luck next time.

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I never understood the logic of "When I was 15 you said I wasn't good enough, now all of a sudden I'm 22 and playing professionally and you think I'm good enough now? Make up your mind!"

When these kids sign an academy deal with a pro team, they don't walk straight onto the pitch with the senior team... because they aren't good enough yet. They don't hold that against the pro team, why would they hold it against a national program? Sorry, there are 20 guys in the country at your age level that in our opinion are better than you at the moment. Better luck next time.

Well said.  And continuing in the same vein, did the other countries these kids are considering know they even existed before they started progressing on the professional ladder?  Don't kid yourself, kid.

19 hours ago, Offside said:

Who are you refering to?

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars