Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Yeah without getting hopes up too high its a big risk leaving not so much Portugal but Europe. None of the current Portuguese squad or recent call ups ply their trade outside of Europe. He is potentially leaving himself a bit off the grid with this move, which would be fine for an established squad member but a huge gamble for someone that would be depth at best at this point of his career, if he does want to represent Portugal not Canada. 

So..

• Moving to a league closer to Canada and away from Portugal
  • Coupled with the previous rumours he might well appear for us by the Gold Cup..

--> Setting myself up for a mammoth fall. ?

Choosing Canada also means #1 at DM once Hutchinson retires ahead of Piette.

At age 22, he knows too well that he'd be virtually a lock to be part of the squad for the 2026 World Cup, which is pretty much every player's dream.

2026 is massive for us in so many ways

For CM definitely Arfield and Osorio are in the starting XI, then Teibert

CDM right now is Hutchinson until he retires then Piette, then Kaye

I'd confidently put Eustaquio in the mix, and in the 18 

Must say he would a great addition; we already have depth in the area and can play both. The more competition the better plus it reinforces the idea of getting younger and preparing for 2026

Atiba (35) is retiring this year and Scott (30) our current captain will make it to 2022 and lead us in this current cycle 

Piette (24), Osorio and Teibert (Both 26) have that perfect balance of mid age experience, being in the prime of their careers 

MAK who's also in that mid age group has been excellent, hasn't had a whole lot of caps for the NT but when healthy and from what I saw in 2018 with LAFC wow, watch out! 

Stephen is Twenty-Two and has so much projection 

Either way personally I feel good about our Central Midfield

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Choosing Canada also means #1 at DM once Hutchinson retires ahead of Piette.

At age 22, he knows too well that he'd be virtually a lock to be part of the squad for the 2026 World Cup, which is pretty much every player's dream.

2026 is massive for us in so many ways

I’d just like to warn against saying someone will be a lock to play for us for more than 7 years. Aird was going to be a lock if he committed, Akindele was going to be a lock if he committed, Wotherspoon was going to be a lock if he committed. 7+ years is a long time for careers to go in various directions, and kids that are 13 or 15 now would be in their 20’s. So let’s just pump the brakes a bit on promising eternal game time to whoever looks to be on the brink of committing to us.

For sure we are all guilty of that a little bit. Dont think that's what he is saying though. I think Anseem is presuming that would be eustaquios line of of thought for committing to us and obviously based on a continued positive career trajectory. 

I think we all have the Canada soccer t-shirt with #LowExpectations on the back :)

Whater

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

For sure we are all guilty of that a little bit. Dont think that's what he is saying though. I think Anseem is presuming that would be eustaquios line of of thought for committing to us and obviously based on a continued positive career trajectory. 

I think we all have the Canada soccer t-shirt with #LowExpectations on the back :)

Exactly. I'm not saying we're making promises but I'm implying that's how he's seeing things

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Stephen Eustaquio is probably making a club-based career decision and not based on his international career. Cruz Azul are probably stepping up and paying the transfer fee that Chaves want and that the big clubs in Portugal may not be wanting to pay and meeting Stephen's salary demands.

Yes this is likely true. The problem in Portugal is the huge gap between the big 3 and the other clubs. He is playing on the worst club in the league and the big 3 clubs may not even be interested at this point even if he is one of the better and more promising players for Chaves. He can transfer to a better mid-table club in Portugal but it might not mean a lot more salary for him or a decent transfer fee for Chaves. With the Mexican league being more balanced in terms of budget and team level there are more opportunities to transfer there and move up club wise and salary/transfer wise for a Portugese player not ready for the big 3.

On the positive side for us, even if possibly playing for Canada was not a factor in the move it is still good for our chances. If he is not ready for the Portugese big 3 clubs he is also not going to be in the picture for the national team and at 22 the chances of that ever happening are diminishing. Being closer to Canada and further from the Portugese picture will also make Canada more likely so unless he absolutely shines in Mexico really quickly I think we have good chances to expect him to switch to Canada though we should always mix that with the poisonous dose of Canadian national team fan pessimism based on decades of disappointment. 

Eustaquio would be in the mix with Piette as our CDM for the next cycle.  He wouldn’t be clear cut ahead of Piette as has been suggested.  Piette is a good player.

Certainly it wouldn’t be understating it to say that  if Eustaquio signed on he would bolster the depth of our midfield to the highest level in the past 15 years.  

The roster depth that we have in midfield and forward is already at a very good historical level for us.  No Unatached FC anymore.  

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Did anyone else notice that the Onduze article said he holds Canadian citizenship ?

Being discussed in an alternate thread too. He was awaiting citizenship/clearance to make him eligible for us as well. It was expected anytime now. So could be confirmation.

Expect it's more likely a generalization and error as he holds residency here. Heres hoping though. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Yipes!  Dont spread this around but is there some sort of curse on duals who havnt choose us yet??  Fence sitters beware!!! Oooooo wooooo!!!!  Just look at the terrible speech impedement (i guess you could call it an accent) OH developed over the years.  

I’ve always thought this.. something bad seems to happen to the majority of guys who choose other nations (I.e major injury or their career takes a massive downturn).  OH, JDG2, Ferreira, Fernandes, Bunbury.. 

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars