Jump to content

Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars


Dominic94
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

I think 2001-born Columbus Crew center mid Aidan Morris (and his older brother Jacob too) is eligible for Canada. He has looked good in MLS but is currently out due to injury.

This is the Instagram of Aidan's older brother Jacob who plays lower-level college soccer. Jacob has a Canada flag in his bio so there's no reason to think Aidan isn't eligible too. Jacob also shows an Italian flag so that means Aidan would likely be able to obtain an unrestricted EU passport if he is good enough for a move abroad.

https://www.instagram.com/j_morris3/

Given the USMNT has young CMs who are starters for Juventus, Leipzig, Dortmund, Valencia, Salzburg, and more on the way, Aidan would clearly have a better chance to play for Canada assuming he is eligible. Aidan has played for the US U20s before.

Interesting indeed... one of the parents must be Canadian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2021 at 6:44 PM, Dominic94 said:

So currently we are chasing:

Justin Smith (CB) 18 FRA/CAN

Lucas Dias (CAM) 18 POR/CAN

Marcelo Flores (CAM) 18 MEX/CAN

Daniel Jebbison (ST) 18 ENG/CAN

Ayo Akinola (ST) 21 USA/CAN

A lot to be excited about here, all of these players have the potential to play in Europe and in big leagues. The early reports on Smith are that he would like to don the Red and has been involved in first team training, given France’s talent I don’t think we have to worry. 

Out of this list I can say I really like Akinola and Flores because they are the 2 I'm most familiar with. Akinola has a chance to be capped by USA and also Nigeria. Flores has a chance to be capped by Mexico.

Either way, with the 2 guys I've mentioned, they do have a pretty good chance to be capped by the countries they are descents from. However, best chance either one of them has to be showcased is if they play for Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Interesting indeed... one of the parents must be Canadian.

Not a star by any means but this a solid prospect who probably would have started for the US at the U20 World Cup if it took place or at least made the roster. Looks like he won't be an option for either nation for about another year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Not a star by any means but this a solid prospect who probably would have started for the US at the U20 World Cup if it took place or at least made the roster. Looks like he won't be an option for either nation for about another year.

I dont know, he was very good in college, could have been a GA pick if he didnt go homegrown and played well in the games he did get into last year for the crew.  They are pretty pumped on him.  Funny that someone spots a CDN flag like they did on Leautwiler's gloves and whammo, I like him a a lot better.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know, he was very good in college, could have been a GA pick if he didnt go homegrown and played well in the games he did get into last year for the crew.  They are pretty pumped on him.  Funny that someone spots a CDN flag like they did on Leautwiler's gloves and whammo, I like him a a lot better.   

They have so much upcoming talent though, we’re going to start winning the battles for the minor duals at the USA approaches WC QCF level or talent. I’m not saying the USA will make that stage every year, but it’s hard to deny that they are going to be hanging with the big boys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They have so much upcoming talent though, we’re going to start winning the battles for the minor duals at the USA approaches WC QCF level or talent. I’m not saying the USA will make that stage every year, but it’s hard to deny that they are going to be hanging with the big boys. 

Especially in central midfield. They can't start all of Adams, McKennie, Musah, Reyna, and Aaronson there. Reyna and Aaronson have the versatility to move out wide (Aaronson to the bench because of Pulisic) but that trio of Adams-McKennie-Musah may lock out other CMs for years to come barring injury. Their challengers appear to include Owen Otasowie (Wolves), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional, rumored to Marseille), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg), Richard Ledezma (PSV), Taylor Booth (St Poelten), Chris Durkin (Sint-Truiden), Caden Clark (pre-contract with Leipzig). Even Luca de la Torre was in the Eredivisie Team of the Month. This type of U23 depth is rare outside of Europe and Brazil.

Morris may get sporadic US caps eventually in MLS-only camps or B-team Gold Cups but odds are low he will ever be a regular unless he becomes a starter in a top European league, even then no guarantee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Especially in central midfield. They can't start all of Adams, McKennie, Musah, Reyna, and Aaronson there. Reyna and Aaronson have the versatility to move out wide (Aaronson to the bench because of Pulisic) but that trio of Adams-McKennie-Musah may lock out other CMs for years to come barring injury. Their challengers appear to include Owen Otasowie (Wolves), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional, rumored to Marseille), Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg), Richard Ledezma (PSV), Taylor Booth (St Poelten), Chris Durkin (Sint-Truiden), Caden Clark (pre-contract with Leipzig). Even Luca de la Torre was in the Eredivisie Team of the Month. This type of U23 depth is rare outside of Europe and Brazil.

Morris may get sporadic US caps eventually in MLS-only camps or B-team Gold Cups but odds are low he will ever be a regular unless he becomes a starter in a top European league, even then no guarantee.

I agree, didn’t know they had this much depth and there’s only more coming. Thankfully you can only start 11, but yea if Morris is eligible it’s a clearer path with us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I agree, didn’t know they had this much depth and there’s only more coming. Thankfully you can only start 11, but yea if Morris is eligible it’s a clearer path with us. 

Otasowie is starting in Wolves central midfield today in the Premier League with Corbeanu on the bench. He does not have a clear path to start for the USMNT in the future unless one of Adams-McKennie-Musah is hurt. Cardoso picked the USMNT over Brazil U20s and has been a regular for the second-place club in Brazil Serie A (and a major exporting club to Europe) but he too does not have a path to start for the US. Little room for Morris in that discussion. Even Ledezma and Alex Mendez should consider their Mexico option where they would have a better chance to play long-term when Mexico's old players retire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Otasowie is starting in Wolves central midfield today in the Premier League with Corbeanu on the bench. He does not have a clear path to start for the USMNT in the future unless one of Adams-McKennie-Musah is hurt. Cardoso picked the USMNT over Brazil U20s and has been a regular for the second-place club in Brazil Serie A (and a major exporting club to Europe) but he too does not have a path to start for the US. Little room for Morris in that discussion. Even Ledezma and Alex Mendez should consider their Mexico option where they would have a better chance to play long-term when Mexico's old players retire.

It’s crazy how much depth they’ve added, with more to come. Colwell and Clark look like something special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

It’s crazy how much depth they’ve added, with more to come. Colwell and Clark look like something special.

And a significant portion of their depth was not developed in the US. A midfield of Cardoso, Otasowie, Musah would be entirely developed abroad. All were born in the US by chance then raised in other countries. That is a benefit of being as large and globally connected as the United States is and their federation doing a good/aggressive job of recruiting. To their credit a midfield of Adams, McKennie, Reyna is all MLS academy products so they have developed some good players too. Just luxurious depth when you consider all of them are U23s or U20s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

And a significant portion of their depth was not developed in the US. A midfield of Cardoso, Otasowie, Musah would be entirely developed abroad. All were born in the US by chance then raised in other countries. That is a benefit of being as large and globally connected as the United States is and their federation doing a good/aggressive job of recruiting. To their credit a midfield of Adams, McKennie, Reyna is all MLS academy products so they have developed some good players too. Just luxurious depth when you consider all of them are U23s or U20s.

Agreed, it’s a major advantage but one that will soon bite them. They’re getting the lesser Duals, minus Dest. Eventually they may get major ones, but they’re going to lose a lot of minor ones.

Sadly we will struggle to progress until the Can PL to Europe pathway is established. Teams like Suriname and Jamaica can just recruit a whole team of rejects, we can’t so it’s sucks for us. I do think the new TFC model will bear fruit, and I’m curious to watch the Whitecaps and FootClub model to see what happens. It’s nice to see all 3 taking youth development seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, Yohan said:

24 yrs old and haven't yet to get consistent minutes for A League... 

Well, maybe if he gets some games

Crepeau didn't get consistent MLS minutes until age 25. If he can become a starter in the A League, I think it's worth exploring. He would likely jump Leutwiler on the depth chart immediately and be added to the group of Crepeau, St Clair, Pantemis, Carducci and Hasal that should get calls over the next decade (assuming Borjan has a few years left too).

 

On 3/22/2017 at 10:30 PM, Complete Homer said:

The big ones are Ricardo Ferreira and Bryan Cristante

It's not worth holding your breath waiting for them to commit, but I think we'll get Cristante eventually. Ferreira would solve a lot of problems but I have a feeling he's less likely. 

Cristante is probably kicking himself knowing that he had to spend yesterday being subbed on against England in a Euro Final as opposed to starting against non-FIFA nation Martinique in the Gold Cup.

Edited by Pottsy3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...