Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Unless he did two similar interviews, with Wileman and Caldwell, sitting about 20 feet in front of a podium and backdrop, where he talked about another dual national committing, coming from a traditional soccer nation, and it being like Christmas, and Wilemand asking for a hint? That was Feb 11 I think. What video are you referring to?

Herdman did a interview with Wileman and Caldwell earlier this week on TSN after the team was announced..  The link is on here somewhere, but sorry, don't have time to look for it today.  It is near the end of the interview.  Maybe best to go to the TSN site and search it.

41 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Herdman did a interview with Wileman and Caldwell earlier this week on TSN after the team was announced..  The link is on here somewhere, but sorry, don't have time to look for it today.  It is near the end of the interview.  Maybe best to go to the TSN site and search it.

I listened to the interview below which was done with Wileman the other day. They went through the CNL squad but he doesn't mention any new dual nationals. If you do find it be sure to post here! The only other guy I would love to commit ASAP is Tomori, would be a huge addition.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/herdman-on-davies-return-to-national-team-development-of-young-canadians~1633712

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I listened to the interview below which was done with Wileman the other day. They went through the CNL squad but he doesn't mention any new dual nationals. If you do find it be sure to post here! The only other guy I would love to commit ASAP is Tomori, would be a huge addition.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/herdman-on-davies-return-to-national-team-development-of-young-canadians~1633712

Nah, not that one.  He was in studio.  I looked through the related videos and it wasn't there.  Holding out hope for Tomori as well!

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

This was said a few years ago. Replace Gutiérrez with de Guzman and Chile with Netherlands

There is a huge difference between de Guzman and Gutiérrez. If De Guzman was allowed to play for Canada right now, he would be called up ASAP. 

Chile has a young group of talented LB. Gutiérrez is  struggling to get mins now. He needs to move out of Chile soon. 

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

There is a huge difference between de Guzman and Gutiérrez. If De Guzman was allowed to play for Canada right now, he would be called up ASAP. 

Chile has a young group of talented LB. Gutiérrez is  struggling to get mins now. He needs to move out of Chile soon. 

How is that a difference? De Guzman was allowed to play for Canada before he was cap-tied to the Netherlands. That was deschamp86's point. He was called up and was refusing, even though people thought he had no shot at making the Netherlands team, and he could have played with his brother for Canada.

That's not to say the same thing will happen with Gutierrez, but it could and wouldn't be unprecedented for Canada.

And another word of warning for the post (forget who said it) "look how that worked for Teal", on the other side of the coin you could say "look how that worked for Wotherspoon". He switched for Canada and has gotten like 1 friendly? Maybe 2?

Luckily the players that were being talked about are still youth players, so they can make a decision that is right for them now, and they can change that decision (if given the opportunity) when they age out of youth competitions.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

And another word of warning for the post (forget who said it) "look how that worked for Teal", on the other side of the coin you could say "look how that worked for Wotherspoon". He switched for Canada and has gotten like 1 friendly? Maybe 2?

The only difference would be that Teal made an ignorant decision when he could have been a large part of Canada's National program for nearly a decade.  Not that I would pick him for Canada now given our attacking talents but there were many years in the past decade that he would have been contributing to our program.  

Wotherspoon made a smart decision but it just hasn't panned out for him unfortunately.  Unlike Teal, he was never going to be a part of Scotland's National program and he chose the team that would at least give him an opportunity.

Well lets not compare Wotherspoon to Bunbury.  Wotherpsoon just switched a year ago and has gotten 1 game, so too soon to say whether he'll actually get enough games to make it worthwhile.  He was 28 when he did it, there were no other countries banging on his door and it would probably his last chance to play internationally.  

Bunbury took the call from USA when he was 20 and had an excellent shot at getting a lot of caps with canada in the next 10 years.  He switched to usa and got 4 senior games and then nothing, getting no calls though the prime of his career.  To me it look like they both wasted their mid 20's, one waiting on scotland and one because they switched to USA.  Very different.  

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

The only difference would be that Teal made an ignorant decision when he could have been a large part of Canada's National program for nearly a decade.  Not that I would pick him for Canada now given our attacking talents but there were many years in the past decade that he would have been contributing to our program.  

I've come to terms now that Teal didn't make an ignorant decision. The kid wasn't Canadian. He was just the son of a Canadian legend. He sold us a bunch of lies about how it would be wrong to play for anyone else. That was really his only mistake.

We get upset all the time when players decide to play for the birth countries of their parents (yes I know Teal was born in Hamilton, and Alex in Guyana but it's the same point), so we should really by now. It just so happens that he came along when our program had no hope whatsoever. He would n't even factor for Canada nowadays

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

How is that a difference? De Guzman was allowed to play for Canada before he was cap-tied to the Netherlands. That was deschamp86's point. He was called up and was refusing, even though people thought he had no shot at making the Netherlands team, and he could have played with his brother for Canada.

That's not to say the same thing will happen with Gutierrez, but it could and wouldn't be unprecedented for Canada.

Luckily the players that were being talked about are still youth players, so they can make a decision that is right for them now, and they can change that decision (if given the opportunity) when they age out of youth competitions.

There’s a huge difference in talent . De Guzman had options and the Dutch  wanted him. Chile is not  knocking on the door of Gutiérrez 

The Dutch wanted him?? There was a 5 year gap between him playing with the U21 Dutch team and the Senior team. Gutierrez played for the Chile U20 team in 2017, so if he is willing to wait as long as de Guzman did (at a point when we all thought he had no chance, and Julian was constantly telling everyone who would listen about how close Jonathan was to committing to us) it won't be until 2022 when we get Gutierrez

18 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

The Dutch wanted him?? There was a 5 year gap between him playing with the U21 Dutch team and the Senior team. Gutierrez played for the Chile U20 team in 2017, so if he is willing to wait as long as de Guzman did (at a point when we all thought he had no chance, and Julian was constantly telling everyone who would listen about how close Jonathan was to committing to us) it won't be until 2022 when we get Gutierrez

While de Guzman was waiting. He was playing in the Netherlands ( better league then Chile ) then he moved over to the English  premier league where he got notice and join the Dutch national team and went to the World Cup. Huge difference with Gutiérrez where he is Struggling to get minutes with middle of the pack team in Chile. Unless he moves  on from Chile to a better league and lights it up maybe. But even he moves to MLS I don’t think he’ll get picked for Chile. 

Edited by SpecialK

Fine, points taken about the Wotherspoon analogy. It was a poor example. Perhaps I was looking at it backwards. What was the original comment trying to say? If you choose a better team then you might just get cap tied and then never get picked again? If it's that, then perhaps the better comparison would have been with guys (like JDG2 and a couple players we don't name on this site) that they picked the better team and were rewarded by playing in the World Cup.

I want everyone that is good enough to play for Canada to choose Canada as well. But I just don't think we can get inside the heads of players and accurately predict what they are going to do based on how one person got burned by their decision.

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

While de Guzman was waiting. He was playing in the Netherlands ( better league then Chile ) then he moved over to the English  premier league where he got notice and join the Dutch national team and went to the World Cup. Huge difference with Gutiérrez where he is Struggling to get minutes with middle of the pack team in Chile. Unless he moves  on from Chile to a better league and lights it up maybe. But even he moves to MLS I don’t think he’ll get picked for Chile. 

The point is, he's only 22. De Guzman didn't get a national team call up until he was 26. At 22 I don't think anybody thought De Guzman would play for the senior dutch team.

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

While de Guzman was waiting. He was playing in the Netherlands ( better league then Chile ) then he moved over to the English  premier league where he got notice and join the Dutch national team and went to the World Cup. Huge difference with Gutiérrez where he is Struggling to get minutes with middle of the pack team in Chile. Unless he moves  on from Chile to a better league and lights it up maybe. But even he moves to MLS I don’t think he’ll get picked for Chile

Chile has had 21 players in the past 12 months that play in Chile. Gutierrez only needs one good season playing in Chile to get on their radar. de Guzman was having very good seasons in the Netherlands and was still not getting a call even though other guys that were playing in Netherlands and of similar age were getting called. The guy was 26 when he finally got a call

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Chile has had 21 players in the past 12 months that play in Chile. Gutierrez only needs one good season playing in Chile to get on their radar. de Guzman was having very good seasons in the Netherlands and was still not getting a call even though other guys that were playing in Netherlands and of similar age were getting called. The guy was 26 when he finally got a call

I get what your saying and your right one good season or new coach or something could happen and boom he’s playing with Chile. Also though too me, 20-24 seems to be the age national teams are calling up players to play. Teams are going younger than before ( not just Canada ) .

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I get what your saying and your right one good season or new coach or something could happen and boom he’s playing with Chile. Also though too me, 20-24 seems to be the age national teams are calling up players to play. Teams are going younger than before ( not just Canada ) .

Agreed. In my mind if you're over 23 and not getting a crack at the national team, you likely never will. JDG2 was an exception. However, it's Gutierrez that needs to be convinced of this, and if he still has ambitions to play for Chile, he'll likely continue to hold out.

The fact that he almost went to Valour shows he could be close to suiting up with Canada. But other guys have been just as close or even closer. Cristante was supposedly close. Lensky was only a plane ride away...

Akinola was named yesterday to the USA U20 squad for the final camp before the U20 World Cup. Tomori was named yesterday to the England U21 squad for the last or second-to-last camp before the U21 Euros.

I think Akinola is more gettable. He lives and plays in Canada. Both will try to push their limits with their current national teams, but I believe Tomori is a top talent who is good enough to eventually be part of England's senior pool and earn a cap-tie in UEFA Nations League or WC qualifying. Not saying Tomori is good enough to start for England for the next decade but I do think he has the quality to be part of their pool for a while. He's just that good. It also helps his case that he can fill in at right back as well as centrally, so he makes a lot of sense at least as a bench option for England.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I agree we cannot rule out that Gutierrez is eventually good enough for Chile. At least he'll wait a while longer. Chile do not seem what they used to be, and Gutierrez is still fairly young and plays a position that most nations are not deep in. Within the last six months Chile has called up two players from MLS (!) and one player from English League Two. They call up a lot of players from their own domestic league and from Liga MX, which are both likely better than MLS but not a whole lot better. Their youth national teams currently call up a few US-and-raised US Development Academy players, including one who was cut from a US youth team. They do not seem to be on the level of the top South American teams. If Gutierrez has just one good season in Chile, with his age and the position he plays, he might warrant a Chile national team callup.

Edited by ChuckMe92

5 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

Akinola was named yesterday to the USA U20 squad for the final camp before the U20 World Cup. Tomori was named yesterday to the England U21 squad for the last or second-to-last camp before the U21 Euros.

I think Akinola is more gettable. He lives and plays in Canada. Both will try to push their limits with their current national teams, but I believe Tomori is a top talent who is good enough to eventually be part of England's senior pool and earn a cap-tie in UEFA Nations League or WC qualifying. Not saying Tomori is good enough to start for England for the next decade but I do think he has the quality to be part of their pool for a while. He's just that good. It also helps his case that he can fill in at right back as well as centrally, so he makes a lot of sense at least as a bench option for England.

Let's hope that England continues to develop quality young defenders as they have been recently leaving Tomori to choose Canada.  He is getting noticed and being praised for his performances overseas lately.

If England make the semi finals of the upcoming Euro U21 Championship as I believe they should, Tomori may then also wish to represent Great Britain for the U23's at the 2020 Olympic Games.

Just an FYI - At Center Back Tomori (21) biggest competition in England is John Stones (24), Harry Maguire (26), Michael Keane (26),  & Joe Gomez (21)

Also Lewis Dunk (27), Phil Jones (27), Alfie Mawson (25), Conor Coady (26) & James Tarkowski (26)

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

Let's hope that England continues to develop quality young defenders as they have been recently leaving Tomori to choose Canada.  He is getting noticed and being praised for his performances overseas lately.

If England make the semi finals of the upcoming Euro U21 Championship as I believe they should, Tomori may then also wish to represent Great Britain for the U23's at the 2020 Olympic Games.

Just an FYI - At Center Back Tomori (21) biggest competition in England is John Stones (24), Harry Maguire (26), Michael Keane (26),  & Joe Gomez (21)

Also Lewis Dunk (27), Phil Jones (27), Alfie Mawson (25), Conor Coady (26) & James Tarkowski (26)

That's some amazing depth for sure. The young central depth of certain European nations is astounding, especially France, England, and the Netherlands. Absolutely staggering for France when players like Laporte and Lenglet aren't even getting called up. Just have to qualify for 2022, which is entirely possible, then go all-in on recruiting for Tomori assuming he isn't cap-tied at senior level and his England youth eligibility has expired.

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

I doubt there will be a GB team for the Olympics. Should be safe there. 

Unless he returns to Chelsea and starts I dont see him cracking the England line up. There are even more players ahead of him than those listed. 

I'm confident we have a good chance after the summer. Unless he picks Nigeria. The promise of 2026 will be huge though. 

The competition for England is severe.  Tomori would walk on our team and start all important games.  Hopefully this isn’t a        s Cristante situation where a few guys get hurt, he gets a call up and plays his one and only game with their national team.  More likely is that Nigeria makes a big push and we lose him there.  Or he comes to his senses and commits to us and leads our D in the World Cup.

9 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

The competition for England is severe.  Tomori would walk on our team and start all important games.  Hopefully this isn’t a        s Cristante situation where a few guys get hurt, he gets a call up and plays his one and only game with their national team.  More likely is that Nigeria makes a big push and we lose him there.  Or he comes to his senses and commits to us and leads our D in the World Cup.

Cristante has played 6 games already for Italy and just signed to stay with Roma. He’s the real deal and will be a huge part of the rebuild of the Italian team 

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars