Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

No. Arfield just basically got tired waiting and went with the girl that would go out with him instead of his dream girl who was ignoring him and showed no signs of ever changing her opinion. 

Seeing as it's that dreaded day today, you reminded me of this. DzWXeKKWkAA9QMO.jpeg.thumb.jpg.508c3fe576e85b8b0492750d8c618b87.jpg

Edited by toontownman

I was thinking Tomori when I watched the video. The "big country" part seems like it's England but I guess Portugal/Chile/Belgium can all apply to that. The Portuguese players both are out for a while so I don't think it's one of them.

Gutierrez like mentioned above would be a bit underwhelming. Bassong would be cool but is he really a "pioneer" for coming over here? Just because Herdman mentioned the word pioneer it sounds like big news, but obviously we have to read a lot into this.

It’s been a while since I waltched the clip but I thought Herdman was saying pioneer meaning the Canadian team will be full of pioneers because it is a team that isn’t historically successful. The current team can blaze a trail into the sporting mainstream for the first time ever (yes I know, 1986, I don’t think Soccer was big enough then for that team to actually be mainstream though).

12 hours ago, Kent said:

It’s been a while since I waltched the clip but I thought Herdman was saying pioneer meaning the Canadian team will be full of pioneers because it is a team that isn’t historically successful. The current team can blaze a trail into the sporting mainstream for the first time ever (yes I know, 1986, I don’t think Soccer was big enough then for that team to actually be mainstream though).

Not as mainstream as today but not off the radar with CBC showing the WC on tv in 82.

500k in streets of Toronto after Italy won. CBC got 1 million to watch the 86 Canada WC match vs France. And Manic/Whitecaps were getting 50k for a handful of matches.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

500k in streets of Toronto after Italy won. CBC got 1 million to watch the 86 Canada WC match vs France. And Manic/Whitecaps were getting 50k for a handful of matches.

This ^ + don't forget in the province of Quebec or the city of Montreal this past summer. Streets closed, shown on big screens, people everywhere cheering for France.  Far surpassed the amount of people in Toronto when Italy won.

Not to go overly off topic, but just look at the "Vince Carter effect" has had on Canada basketball. Of course Vince Carter is not a true pioneer of basketball in Canada but he has often been referenced as one, simply because of his "generational influence" on the sport and the media attention he brought to the sport in Canada.  

I do not believe Herdman is over stepping at all, when he says that about the men's program over the next 8 years can be pioneers.  With social media the way it is today, it will be a lot different for the "22-"26 squad compared to the "86.

Another Chituru Odunze-like prospect has popped up. 17-year-old forward Brandon Cambridge who has appeared for the Whitecaps first team this preseason. He's attended multiple Canada youth ID camps in the past, but was born in New York, and there's little doubt the USSF is aware of him. Unclear whether he has Canadian citizenship.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, ChuckMe92 said:

Another Chituru Odunze-like prospect has popped up. 17-year-old forward Brandon Cambridge who has appeared for the Whitecaps first team this preseason. He's attended multiple Canada youth ID camps in the past, but was born in New York, and there's little doubt the USSF is aware of him. Unclear whether he has Canadian citizenship.

I'm thinking the jacket gives it away, but they were just ID camps so

image.png.775e0af8cfd9e1eb189b6cf89c755dbe.png

https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=5769&t=profile&

An article from September on Tabla had Herdman hinting at Kadioglu. 

Here's the main quote 

Herdman didn’t offer any specific names, but hinted that Ferdi Kadioglu is someone who is on his radar. Kadioglu is a 19-year-old Dutch midfielder who recently signed with Turkish side Fenerbahce. He’s played for the Netherlands at youth level, but hasn’t been capped by the Dutch senior team. Kadioglu is eligible to play for Canada because his mother was born here.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

It fits with the description given recently. 

Doesn't looked like he has played for the first team since his move to Fenerbahce. Fenerbahce went through a youth movement this past summer and as a result they are battling against relegation.

8 hours ago, farrelld said:

An article from September on Tabla had Herdman hinting at Kadioglu. 

Here's the main quote 

Herdman didn’t offer any specific names, but hinted that Ferdi Kadioglu is someone who is on his radar. Kadioglu is a 19-year-old Dutch midfielder who recently signed with Turkish side Fenerbahce. He’s played for the Netherlands at youth level, but hasn’t been capped by the Dutch senior team. Kadioglu is eligible to play for Canada because his mother was born here.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

It fits with the description given recently. 

Doesn't looked like he has played for the first team since his move to Fenerbahce. Fenerbahce went through a youth movement this past summer and as a result they are battling against relegation.

Kinda underwhelming if true 

^^

Sure it's not one of the more exciting names that was being bandied about, but if it is him, it's not a development to be easily dismissed either.   

A 19 yr old, with over 25 appearances in the Eredivisie, now signed to one of the traditional powerhouses in Turkey and who has over 20 caps for Holland's u18-u21 youth teams.

We've come a long way in the last few years when a player with this resume and who has other options for playing internationally potentially might commit to us and the news basically gets eyerolls around here! 

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

Kinda underwhelming if true 

Disagree - this would be a big get because it would appear we have the weakest ties from the 3 nations he’s eligible for.  

A 19 year old Dutch u21 international at a big club like Fenerbahce is anything but underwhelming imo. 

FWIW, I have my doubts that it’s him.  

Edited by Keegan

39 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

^^

Sure it's not one of the more exciting names that was being bandied about, but if it is him, it's not a development to be easily dismissed either.   

A 19 yr old, with over 25 appearances in the Eredivisie, now signed to one of the traditional powerhouses in Turkey and who has over 20 caps for Holland's u18-u21 youth teams.

We've come a long way in the last few years when a player with this resume and who has other options for playing internationally potentially might commit to us and the news basically gets eyerolls around here! 

Absolutely! Ferdi would be absolutely huge IMO. 

I still think we will get the majority of the other names mentioned. Kadioglu wasn't one I would expect, he might have stalled at Fenerbache so far but his age, potential and ability is huge. For that reason it would turn my head more than the other names on the list. 

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Absolutely! Ferdi would be absolutely huge IMO. 

I still think we will get the majority of the other names mentioned. Kadioglu wasn't one I would expect, he might have stalled at Fenerbache so far but his age, potential and ability is huge. For that reason it would turn my head more than the other names on the list. 

Upon further inspection: 

Just checked and he only has one appearance for Fenerbahce as a sub in a cup match.  10 times on the bench in the league.  

6 appearances for their u21 side.  This move has to be a massive disappointment for him and he probably is desperate for football.  He’s not going to get called for Netherlands youth teams at this rate and playing for us or Turkey requires a one time switch.  Playing for Turkey is no guarantee either and he’s probably not too enthused by his time there.  

This may be like the anti-Eustaquio situation where the timing is working perfectly but in our favour.

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Upon further inspection: 

Just checked and he only has one appearance for Fenerbahce as a sub in a cup match.  10 times on the bench in the league.  

6 appearances for their u21 side.  This move has to be a massive disappointment for him and he probably is desperate for football.  He’s not going to get called for Netherlands youth teams at this rate and playing for us or Turkey requires a one time switch.  Playing for Turkey is no guarantee either and he’s probably not too enthused by his time there.  

This may be like the anti-Eustaquio situation where the timing is working perfectly but in our favour.

Purely based on his age and experience already in the game I'd be really shocked it he had committed to Canada so soon. I agree with the situation being in our favour but still looks more like a Cristante than a Arfield and we will be playing the long game IMO. Unless he has a real connection to Canada if I was him I would be at least waiting this Fenerbahce move out and then the club he moves to after before committing to Canada. He has serious time on his side. Would be happy to be wrong it would be a statement for our program!

Another reason I am pretty sure it isn't him is his playing stats this year. Would he even merit a call up above others? He is obviously at a talent level over the last few years that would merit it but no league games this season makes it a tougher call. Would Herdman be all Ra-Ra about someone that hasn't played. Maybe?

He was one of the biggest attacking talents in the Eredivisie, hence the contract with Fener. But it was obviously going to be a huge leap from a low-table EDV club to a Turkish powerhouse. It's a huge leap for Larin who is way more experienced. Still a major talent though we should be lucky to get him. 

However I'm thinking Bassong. 

17 minutes ago, shamrock said:

He was one of the biggest attacking talents in the Eredivisie, hence the contract with Fener. But it was obviously going to be a huge leap from a low-table EDV club to a relegation threatened Turkish team. It's a huge leap for Larin who is way more experienced. Still a major talent though we should be lucky to get him. 

FYP ;)

Anyway, I think Kadioglu would be a huge get. I had classified him in the "pie in the sky" category, so if he filed his one-time switch to join Canada that would be amazing.

Yeah I just wanto echo that getting Kadioglu would be huge for the program. I know he is not getting a ton of time with Fenerbahce but he was linked to some big clubs and from my understanding is a real talented player. 

That said I do not think it is him, I see no reason for him to jump from Holland to represent us at this point.

My money on this rumoured player ready to represent us is Gutierrez, although I do think Eustaquio will rep the maple leaf at some point when he returns to full health.  

5 minutes ago, Fullback said:

My money on this rumoured player ready to represent us is Gutierrez, although I do think Eustaquio will rep the maple leaf at some point when he returns to full health.  

I also think this is the case but it’s concerning that Gutiérrez hasn’t played a match in 7+ months..

Go ahead and file your switch and become cap tied but this player doesn’t deserve a call at this moment.  It would actually be a joke if he got called tbh. 

Anyone know what is happening with his club situation or himself in general? Is he a “problem”?  The one Huachipato match I watched with him and Cordova he was walking off at halftime having a fight with his teams captain. 

40 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I also think this is the case but it’s concerning that Gutiérrez hasn’t played a match in 7+ months..

Go ahead and file your switch and become cap tied but this player doesn’t deserve a call at this moment.  It would actually be a joke if he got called tbh. 

Anyone know what is happening with his club situation or himself in general? Is he a “problem”?  The one Huachipato match I watched with him and Cordova he was walking off at halftime having a fight with his teams captain. 

Although both Gutiérrez & Kadioglu would both likely contribute to CMNT going forward, I can't imagine the hype for two players that basically haven't played all year?

Also, I am in agreement that it seems a bit premature that Kadioglu would make the switch to Canada.  As deep as the Dutch National team, he is 100% on the National team radar and still only 19.  Even Turkey seems like an opportunity he would explore possibly before Canada.  He was not born in Canada and did not grow up in Canada or even play in Canada.  I'm assuming a kid with his talent will exercise every option available before committing to Canada.

I hope I'm wrong.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, Corazon said:

Given the injuries to Fereirra & Eustaquio and the potential upcoming tournaments for Tomori & Akinola, this may be the best educated guess.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think it's Andreas Vaikla.

Since his U21 (under 23) cap with Estonia in October, he didn't get the call to the senior team in either November or January.

Matvei Igonen was called over him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matvei_Igonen

So this means that Vaikla is viewed as 4th (or lower) on their depth chart. With Canada he may be behind Crépeau, Leutwiler, Borjan and Thomas but he can be first choice for the U23 Olympic Qualifying in October (with Busti as 2nd choice perhaps) and he has a decent chance of fighting his way to a roster spot for the WC in 2026.

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars