Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Pretty disrespectful to our former Captain, and most capped player. But I won’t call you any names for it. 

When you talk about all time greats in Canadian football - Julian De Guzman will and always should be mentioned. 

Lots of folks were pretty put off by the disrespect he showed for the CPL.  For some that is not big deal.   For others it impacted how JDG is viewed in the Canadian soccer landscape.  I understand both sides but personally am in the latter camp.   

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lots of folks were pretty put off by the disrespect he showed for the CPL.  For some that is not big deal.   For others it impacted how JDG is viewed in the Canadian soccer landscape.  I understand both sides but personally am in the latter camp.   

Yea I get it, I didn’t like it either - but isn’t he involved with 1812 or another upcoming Canadian team project iirc...I.e he’s still in Canada, and supporting Canadian projects with his great experience.

Maybe his opinion is valid, and needs to be revisited especially with some of the glaring issues of the CPL. 

We can’t be quick to dismiss the thoughts and opinions of the Canadians who have the experience in the game nationally and  internationally. But don’t question the people who have absolutely no experience running sports leagues or soccer leagues to say the least. 

I refuse to be the fickle guy, that says thanks for your yeaarss of service  through catastrophic times...but yea we shouldn’t mention your name ever again.

I’m sorry but thats BS.

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

JDG2 wasn't a wonder kid and still repped the orange.

Fair, but the current gen of Dutch youngsters are seen as their best ever or are supposed to be. 

in 2010 and 2014 the midfield wasn’t best in world, from 2022 to 2028 is supposed to be. This made it more likely that he would play. This time around the competition is going to be nuts. 

he would have to beat out FDJ, Simmons, Gravenbetch and Ihatteren for starters for a spot. It’s going to be very hard for any player to knock them out for the next decade. Even if one of them doesn’t reach his potential, it’s not like they don’t have 3 others that could be something else.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yea I get it, I didn’t like it either - but isn’t he involved with 1812 or another upcoming Canadian team project iirc...I.e he’s still in Canada, and supporting Canadian projects with his great experience.

Maybe his opinion is valid, and needs to be revisited especially with some of the glaring issues of the CPL. 

We can’t be quick to dismiss the thoughts and opinions of the Canadians who have the experience in the game nationally and  internationally. But don’t question the people who have absolutely no experience running sports leagues or soccer leagues to say the least. 

I refuse to be the fickle guy, that says thanks for your yeaarss of service  through catastrophic times...but yea we shouldn’t mention your name ever again.

I’m sorry but thats BS.

It’s not BS to call him out for actively undermining the league.  He publicly belittled the quality of CPL players (by saying that Bekker was the only guy who would make the Fury team at a time when CPL teams had signed a lot of decent Canadians) and was known to be one of the most active agents in lobbying against Fury joining CPL.  For people who were very invested (emotionally, financially, etc) in the success of the league, those aren’t minor opinions that we can dismiss or debate - they were toxic attitudes against our emerging national soccer league.   

He was a good player and I cheered him on on the red and white, but let’s not pretend that a few “fickle” people lost faith in him over a minor disagreement of opinion.  

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

This is probably more of a dual national version 20.0, but imagine Davies and Huitema had a kid and he was Canadian/French/German?

More likely he ends up, it’s been reported that Davies goes to Paris a lot, I do think France or England would be a destination for him given that they could both live together there and have their careers there.

you’d hope their kids would rep Canada ahahaha.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Fair but he’s at Feyernord and has been for years. I messaged the Feyernord future watch guy on Twitter, we’ll see what he has to say about him

That might mean something, and it might not. It's not like Feyenoord has 100% roster turnover every year to sign all their U19 academy team. For all we know he is there as a favour to his dad, who happened to play over 100 games for the senior team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, Kent said:

Seriously though, this kid just turned 14? Too early to bother getting any hopes up.

Canada U15 and U17. They need to start getting these kids into the program playing games for Canada. 2026 is coming up quick. They way CONCACAF and fifa doing these, we are gonna a ton of players. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:39 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

JDG2 wasn't a wonder kid and still repped the orange.

To be fair, JDG2 has played more games in a top 5 league than anyone who has ever played for the CMNT.  His defection was one of the most impactful we’ve had.  Had he and Hoilett committed  (and possibly Besovic) we would have undoubtedly qualified for the World Cup.  Those were 3 of the best players in our player pool at the time.  It was so painful to watch him in the World Cup that year.

26 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

To be fair, JDG2 has played more games in a top 5 league than anyone who has ever played for the CMNT.  

This doesn't seem true.

He played his most games at Feyenoord which is not in a top 5 league.

35 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

He played 3 seasons in Series A, 3 in Bundesliga, 2 in Premier League and 2 in La Liga.  It all adds up.

So did you actually calculate it?

Stalteri has over 190 games between Bremen and Tottenham alone.

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

So did you actually calculate it?

Stalteri has over 190 games between Bremen and Tottenham alone.

If I am reading transfermarkt correctly Stalteri has 225 games in Bundesliga (170) + Premier League (55). JDG2 has 231 across the big 4. Premier League 71, Serie A 55, La Liga 53, Bundesliga 52. I can't confirm if there is anyone else with more big 4/5 games played. Did a spot check on Forrest and Radzinski and neither have as many.