CONCACAF Nations League

4 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Thing is, I fear we won't have out best teams for the very same reasons used today... (New team, team got promoted want to focus, team has an important game). If we have a full strength squad for these games, I expect we'll win convincingly.... If we don't, it will be tough. Scary tough. 

True, well that's the job of the new boss, see if he can have his players commit and buy in.  We will know this summer I guess.

Edited by apbsmith

9 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Thing is, I fear we won't have out best teams for the very same reasons used today... (New team, team got promoted want to focus, team has an important game). If we have a full strength squad for these games, I expect we'll win convincingly.... If we don't, it will be tough. Scary tough. 

Herdman knows we have to win those games. I'm sure he will continue his policy of "tactful periodization" (thanks @Gian-Luca !) to ensure we have our strongest team when we need it. His future depends on it far more than ours.

• 1 month later...

Infantino wants to force through the FIFA Nations League.  First edition in 2020-21

It describes the format as operating "at confederation level, with different levels/divisions divided into groups of four teams, ensuring six games for each national team. The best teams would then qualify for a "Final 8" tournament (essentially up to three games) in the following year".

If approved, there would be a minimum financial guarantee of $1bn (£700m) for the rights of the first edition in 2020-21.

This would rise to $4bn (£2.87bn) for three further editions between that date and 2033

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43868703

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What do you think the best timeline for announcements like that are?

Or, to pose the question differently, what the puck is the hold up?

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's a little over 6 months out.  Is that really so far ahead?

Take the UEFA Nations League Group A as an example. France, Belgium, Iceland, England and Croatia have "national stadiums", so the games are already announced to be played there. For the other 7 nations who rotate their games only 2 have announced the sites (Germany and Netherlands), leaving Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Poland and Spain as the unannounced. Likewise in League B all 5 nations who rotate (Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Czech and Slovakia) have yet to announce the venues. So yeah...

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's a little over 6 months out.  Is that really so far ahead?

Depends on how well organized you are (apparently not as well as Germany or the Netherlands).  ;)

On 25/04/2018 at 12:54 AM, jpg75 said:

So just so we're clear, our next home game is against Dominica between Oct. 8th-16th and you guys expect the CSA to give you details on it's location as of April 24th?

I may hope for it, but the answer as to whether I expect it is an emphatic NO!

27 minutes ago, admin said:

Where should we play Dominica? 

One home game in Vancouver, the other in Toronto. I don't think it makes much difference which is which.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

One home game in Vancouver, the other in Toronto. I don't think it makes much difference which is which.

Well, it I think it would.    They can't just snap their fingers and get a stadium.  Do we want to play a mid week game against Dominica in BC Place?  Swangaurd perhaps?

Not sure what Toronto looks like with the Argos in October.  Not as much space there time wise between all the games.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Well, it I think it would.    They can't just snap their fingers and get a stadium.  Do we want to play a mid week game against Dominica in BC Place?  Swangaurd perhaps?

Not sure what Toronto looks like with the Argos in October.  Not as much space there time wise between all the games.

You raise an excellent point.

As a guiding principle, I think we need to build a strong base of home support in a couple of locations. But perhaps BC Place is too big for those matches. In which case I would suggest Winnipeg as an alternative.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Hamilton?

I would definitely be in favour of Hamilton. Has the advantage of being in one of those two areas of solid home support that I would like to see us cultivate.

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

After the whole world cup thing ain't nothing coming to Vancouver. These games will be played at CPL locations. Time start putting money in the csb bank account

Vancouver will be a CPL location: Port City FC. ;)

(Not really joking, it could happen, depending on how you define Vancouver.)

Edited by dsqpr

50 minutes ago, johnyb said:

One game in Winnipeg and the other in Hamilton. The two Founding members of the CPL.

Although I love travelling for games in Van because I've got friends there and games in Toronto are easy to get to for me... I would totally be on board with this. The timing would be pretty good for both cities as they probably be just beginning season ticket sales and the synergy between that and these games would be great. It would also be a great to meet some of the SG members and Vs in both cities!