CONCACAF Nations League

As Al Davis said, "Just win baby!" and the rest will take care of itself.  While we should be dominating our opponents in this tournament, 4 wins and no losses just about guarantees top pool and the big prize.  If we happen to be +15 or whatever that would be great but at the end of the day we need to win all four games and prepare to move on against the top teams in the region.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

On the other side of the coin here are wins you left out since 2011: 

7-0 vs st Lucia 

3-0 vs Cuba 

4-0 vs st kitts 

4-0 vs Mauritania 

3-0 vs Puerto Rico x2

3-1 vs El Salvador 

4-1 vs st Lucia 

4-0 vs Dominica 

Only one game where we scored more than 4. That is revealing.

I feel as though we do have a surplus of attacking talent at the moment but still no finisher. Davies might just be our best finisher at the moment. We are liable to create tons of offense yet still not score very many goals.

(By "finisher" I mean somebody who puts away a high percentage of the chances he gets, which does not necessarily correlate closely with goals scored).

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Only one game where we scored more than 4. That is revealing.

I feel as though we do have a surplus of attacking talent at the moment but still no finisher. Davies might just be our best finisher at the moment. We are liable to create tons of offense yet still not score very many goals.

(By "finisher" I mean somebody who puts away a high percentage of the chances he gets, which does not necessarily correlate closely with goals scored).

Davies definitely isn’t our best finisher.. consistently misses good chances and even ones he scores aren’t good finishes like last weekend or his first couple pro goals.  Admittedly he has put them away for the cmnt 

Cavallini is putting them away regularly and they’re pretty high quality finishes at a high level.  Larin isn’t great but that doesn’t mean he can’t turn it around.

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Davies definitely isn’t our best finisher.. consistently misses good chances and even ones he scores aren’t good finishes like last weekend or his first couple pro goals.  Admittedly he has put them away for the cmnt 

Cavallini is putting them away regularly and they’re pretty high quality finishes at a high level.  Larin isn’t great but that doesn’t mean he can’t turn it around.

I saw that Davies goal and I actually thought it was a good finish because it went in! Also, it was a first-time clean strike on target which the keeper did well to almost keep out.

As for Cav, haven't seen him play recently so I'm just going by what I saw of him for Canada - a handful of very presentable chances and 0 goals. Could certainly be a lot better than he showed there though.

22 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I'll call your 20 and raise to 25. Or 37.

That might be too much to ask from these players, but GOD knows!!!!... I guess it's good to be ambitious and have high expectations, lmfao!!!!... Do you really think we can achieve such a massive goal + differential?... We may achieve the highest in our pot, particularly given the path that has been set forth by us, wonder how everyone will react if such ceiling you are calling for is met, lol

12 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Oh how soon we forget:

Oct. 11, 2011 Canada 0-0 Puerto Rico
Nov. 11, 2011 Canada 0-0 St. Kitts and Nevis
Jul. 7, 2013 Canada 0-1 Martinique
Sept. 8, 2013 Canada 0-0 Mauritania
Sept. 11, 2013 Canada 0-1 Mauritania
Jun. 11, 2015 Canada 2-0 Dominica
Sept. 8, 2015 Canada 1-1 Belize
Jun. 3, 2016 Canada 1-1 Azerbaijan
Jun. 7, 2016 Canada 2-1 Uzbekistan
Jun. 13, 2017 Canada 2-1 Curacao

Mostly irrelevant I guess, as we will be fielding some players that are far more talented than the ones we field during those times!!!

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I saw that Davies goal and I actually thought it was a good finish because it went in! Also, it was a first-time clean strike on target which the keeper did well to almost keep out.

As for Cav, haven't seen him play recently so I'm just going by what I saw of him for Canada - a handful of very presentable chances and 0 goals. Could certainly be a lot better than he showed there though.

Cav and AJH are the best finishers I believe. Davies is actually surprisingly bad in front of goal. I am sure that will develop though. 

I don’t think finishing ability is the only stat we should be looking at though. If it were, Oliver Giroud would be no where near any team in a top league. The guy scores 1 in every 5 chances it seems. The thing is, he create double the chances of many other strikers. I am confident our attackers can get it done.

One thing I don’t think anybody has been talking about in terms of the format of the nations league. I am a bit disappointed that it looks like League B and League C won’t have championship finals like League A. Unless I have misunderstood. It seems like an easy thing to do, the same window is there, and any team that would be in League C is likely never going to win anything bigger than a lower tier Nations League final. It would be great to see in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I don’t think finishing ability is the only stat we should be looking at though. If it were, Oliver Giroud would be no where near any team in a top league. The guy scores 1 in every 5 chances it seems. The thing is, he create double the chances of many other strikers. I am confident our attackers can get it done.

Agreed. I was just commenting on that one aspect but of course total goals scored is more important: we would all rather have a striker that converts an average of 1/3 chances per game over a more clinical striker who converts 0.5/1 chances per game. Thing is, the more clinical guys do tend to score more goals.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

To save me having to read all 27 pages of this topic, could somebody tell me if these are official cap-tying matches for new call ups?  Thanks.

Yes, CNL matches are official cap-tying matches (including this qualifying tourney).

Edited by dsqpr

1 hour ago, HugoDirtySanchez said:

What is this league? Its like champuons?

No, not like Champions League. Champions League is for clubs that qualify by being among the top in their country. This is for national teams that qualify by just existing.

The only comparison is the UEFA Nations League but that hasn’t begun play yet either. Here is the idea really roughly.

Nations of similar quality are grouped into a league. So the best CONCACAF teams go to League A, the worst go to League C, and the teams in between go to League B. Each League has 4 groups. You play each team in your group 2 times, once at home and once away. If you come in last in your group you get relegated. If you win your group you get promoted. In League A the group winners have a playoff to determine the champions.

Oh, and the games are played on international dates over a period of months, rather than being a tournament that plays all their games at once.

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

No, not like Champions League. Champions League is for clubs that qualify by being among the top in their country. This is for national teams that qualify by just existing.

The only comparison is the UEFA Nations League but that hasn’t begun play yet either. Here is the idea really roughly.

Nations of similar quality are grouped into a league. So the best CONCACAF teams go to League A, the worst go to League C, and the teams in between go to League B. Each League has 4 groups. You play each team in your group 2 times, once at home and once away. If you come in last in your group you get relegated. If you win your group you get promoted. In League A the group winners have a playoff to determine the champions.

Oh, and the games are played on international dates over a period of months, rather than being a tournament that plays all their games at once.

Ok. i do not know what uefa nations league is but this sounds like a league for countries. gracias.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 3:57 PM, Treppy2 said:

Don't think anyone has talked about this yet: With one table of 34 teams, each playing just four matches, there are going to be a lot of teams tied on total points at the end of qualifying. If the next tiebreaker is goal difference, there will be no reason to take it easy on the weakest teams. If you're up by 5 or 6 goals at half time against the likes of Monserrat or USVI, better not take your foot off the gas in the second half, as that could cost you on goal difference. This doesn't apply just at the top, but throughout the table as teams try to qualify for Leagues B and C. And I would think qualifying #1 in the table would put a team in a better position for the Gold Cup "draw" than qualifying #10. Or qualifying #1 would be better than qualifying #6 when it comes to seeding for League A. Even teams virtually assured of qualifying should try to fill the minnows' nets.

Could get ugly, but I don't know what the alternative is. Can't really throw out the results against the lowest-ranked X number of teams like they do in UEFA, when there's an unbalanced schedule.

/Treppy2/ 

So are you suggesting bet365.com and SMASH the OVER total goals on "certain games" ;)

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 9:31 AM, El Hombre said:

Oh how soon we forget:

Oct. 11, 2011 Canada 0-0 Puerto Rico
Nov. 11, 2011 Canada 0-0 St. Kitts and Nevis
Jul. 7, 2013 Canada 0-1 Martinique
Sept. 8, 2013 Canada 0-0 Mauritania
Sept. 11, 2013 Canada 0-1 Mauritania
Jun. 11, 2015 Canada 2-0 Dominica
Sept. 8, 2015 Canada 1-1 Belize
Jun. 3, 2016 Canada 1-1 Azerbaijan
Jun. 7, 2016 Canada 2-1 Uzbekistan
Jun. 13, 2017 Canada 2-1 Curacao

This +1, it's new era and new mentality.  Some of these teams, it could be one of their biggest matches in 2-4 years, if you don't think they will be ready to play, we are wrong.  HAMMER DOWN and killer instinct,all 4 games, that's what I want to see.

40 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

This +1, it's new era and new mentality.  Some of these teams, it could be one of their biggest matches in 2-4 years, if you don't think they will be ready to play, we are wrong.  HAMMER DOWN and killer instinct,all 4 games, that's what I want to see.

Thing is, I fear we won't have out best teams for the very same reasons used today... (New team, team got promoted want to focus, team has an important game). If we have a full strength squad for these games, I expect we'll win convincingly.... If we don't, it will be tough. Scary tough.