CONCACAF Nations League

22 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah our draw is going to be pretty easy...

Already getting the impression this will benefit the bottom 25-30 teams...not the other way around

Remember that this is just the qualifying round. If we are able to advance to League A we will be playing against significantly tougher opponents, and I think we (and other top teams in the region) can benefit a lot from that.

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

Couldn't be an easier draw. See what happens when the pres is Canadian:P(just kidding). The only drawback is playing 2 teams that not independent. I wonder if we get FIFA ranking points and if we could cap tie players in these games?

French Guiana is the only non-FIFA nation we're playing and yes, all official matches cap-tie players regardless of the opponent. And no, FIFA rankings only apply to matches between FIFA nations.

I missed the beginning of the draw. So am I right to think that they take the results of qualifying for the 34 teams, make one giant table, and the top 6 make it to League A (along with the Hex teams), then the next 16 are in League B, and the last 13 in League C? With the one caveat being Guatemala not participating yet.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Remember that this is just the qualifying round. If we are able to advance to League A we will be playing against significantly tougher opponents, and I think we (and other top teams in the region) can benefit a lot from that.

Right but at that point it will essentially just be the same as a Gold Cup really..so i don't see the big difference. And now a lot of our friendly windows will now be filled with matches against Caribbean nations...

So are we REALLY better off? I don't know.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right but at that point it will essentially just be the same as a Gold Cup really..so i don't see the big difference. And now a lot of our friendly windows will now be filled with matches against Caribbean nations...

I'd rather play Honduras/Costa Rica/El Salvador/Jamaica than have some closed door friendly in Turkey against Uzbekistan.

Its not like good European/South American teams are lining up to play us.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Couldn't be an easier draw. See what happens when the pres is Canadian:P(just kidding). The only drawback is playing 2 teams that not independent. I wonder if we get FIFA ranking points and if we could cap tie players in these games?

Are any of the games official "cap-tie" games??  They should be international A games right??  A continental cup, if against a Fifa team..that should be enough to cap tie....maybe?

Just now, mpg_29 said:

Our friendly windows will be competitive games played at home or away, so less neutral site friendlies. As for games against Caribbean nations, it's probably reasonable to expect that League A will include (at least in the first year) Mexico, USA, Canada (hope I haven't jinxed it), the 7 Central American teams (give or take Belize and Guatemala), and a couple of Caribbean nations like Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba. That's pretty good competition for us.

11 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I do wish there were more matches. Two matches in the window instead of one. I guess Canada could schedule friendlies but the CSA is allergic to playing more than one match, if that, in an international window.

This is just the qualifying round.

The actual league would not be like this.

1 minute ago, theaub said:

I'd rather play Honduras/Costa Rica/El Salvador/Jamaica than have some closed door friendly in Turkey against Uzbekistan.

Its not like good European/South American teams are lining up to play us.

And to that point (I forgot to say this in my response to mpg) UEFA is also having a nations league. So we might not even be able to line up Uzbekistan very often anymore.

3 minutes ago, theaub said:

Do FIFA rankings even matter anymore?  Pretty sure the CONCACAF Index or whatever its called is being used for seeding for WCQ.

I think FIFA rankings will still be used for WCQ. UEFA has their own ranking system like this CONCACAF one as well and they use it for Euro Cup seeding, but not for WCQ seeding. I think the FIFA seeding is probably mandated to the regions, even though the regions get to largely decide how they do their qualifying format otherwise.

CONCACAF website is down for articles, but here's a link from the Sportsnet article that is also what I remember seeing in the original article.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-get-first-look-path-inaugural-concacaf-nations-league/

The new Nations League competition will be used as qualifying for the CONCACAF Gold Cup and to determine regional seeding in World Cup qualifying.

Edited by theaub

9 minutes ago, theaub said:

Do FIFA rankings even matter anymore?  Pretty sure the CONCACAF Index or whatever its called is being used for seeding for WCQ.

They will still matter for World Cup and Confederations Cup seeding, but yes I recall it being mentioned in the media that Concacaf were planning to use the new ranking system for sedding the new WCQ process as well.

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, but groups of three in League A implies four matches in the group stage - not a huge amount if each season takes place over two years.

Ah, yes, I was not happy with that either. 

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

I missed the beginning of the draw. So am I right to think that they take the results of qualifying for the 34 teams, make one giant table, and the top 6 make it to League A (along with the Hex teams), then the next 16 are in League B, and the last 13 in League C? With the one caveat being Guatemala not participating yet.

I don't know one way or the other, but what would make more sense to me is if this is just to add more results to the CONCACAF index, and then using the index to seed following qualification.

This is fantastic.. under no illusion that St Kitts or FG will be easy matches. Does this mean Malouda can play?! 

St Kitts away in 2011 was painful.. we probably should have lost I only recall us having a couple chances but we relied heavily on DeRo and Jackson.. I think with our new guys we’ll do better. 

This CLN is great overall though because honestly I dont think one country benefits more than us. The Caribbean nations and Central American nations are just losing their cups iirc.. mexico and the USA are losing their big friendlies and we are the only nation adding competitive matches while losing nothing. Thank you Vic!  Every other nation is better equipped when it comes to competition even teams like the ones we will be facing get competitive matches more frequently it seems. 

Also I think qualifying for the gold cup will motivate us more. It’s been a free ride too long and we are complacent.. the other two sides who qualify automatically expect to win so they have pressure we never have and now we will have laid a foundation for the tourney.  Really excited for this fall! 

My only problem is the one match date per month! Stupid.. hopefully we play the first match day so we can have a friendly after (maybe that was their thinking).