CONCACAF Nations League

14 hours ago, dsqpr said:

As much as I would like to see a game in Winnipeg I am pretty sure that much higher revenue could be generated elsewhere. I seriously doubt whether Winnipeg would produce a crowd of 10,000 -- more likely 6-7k, IMHO.

And Montreal has pretty much been a disaster for hosting men's matches in recent years so I would not go there either.

From my understanding, Montreal has a large Hatian population. If we get Haiti in the last qualification game, Montreal would probably draw a crowd. If it's anyone but Haiti, I would stay away from Montreal for the reason you mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

From my understanding, Montreal has a large Hatian population. If we get Haiti in the last qualification game, Montreal would probably draw a crowd. If it's anyone but Haiti, I would stay away from Montreal for the reason you mentioned.

I see you are a relatively new member so you may not remember the angst suffered by many of us over home matches with massive away support. We need to go where the CANADA fans will turn out in force, not the away fans! In the end, that will also be the path to higher revenue because those fans will be there for every match.

If we draw Haiti at home then based on what you have said the match should definitely be in Vancouver!

Edited by dsqpr

4 hours ago, Kent said:

It's been 18 years since Winnipeg hosted the CMNT in a stadium called the Winnipeg Soccer Complex, which I have no knowledge of capacity etc. They played 2 competitive games in Winnipeg that year and one friendly. The friendly drew 6,400 fans against Honduras. The competitive games were World Cup Qualifiers against Cuba (9,000 fans) and Panama. The Panama game only drew 3,000 fans but Canada had already been thoroughly eliminated from qualifying by the time that game rolled around, so I would argue the Cuba attendance would be closer to reality for a competitive fixture, depending on the opponent (a game against a Pot D team for example isn't going to draw many fans anywhere in Canada).

I'd say it's time to revisit Winnipeg, and I would love for potential CPL cities to get national team games to see what kind of interest there are in those cities.

(And just for completeness sake for anyone curious, Winnipeg drew crowds of 28,255 and 14,434 for CWNT friendlies against USA and Costa Rica at Investors Group Field in recent years).

I was also at the 2 games mentioned. You were right the second game was meaningless and it was also on a cold Thanksgiving Day (tends to happen a lot in Winnipeg in mid October). I agree with DSQPR that Vancouver or Toronto would outdraw us, but I do think we would draw over 10 000 on a nice Summer night at IG Field. The 14k that the Women drew for the Costa Rica friendly is a good estimate if the weather co-operates. Holger Osieck commented after the games that he was impressed at how the crowds were pro Canadian (pretty rare for the time) and even mentioned making Winnipeg Canada's home base

Edited by johnyb

27 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

So teams move on if they win their group ? Nvm that question  got a chance to read the full article . 

That article is the first mention I have seen of a big combined table and since it is not an official source I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

I still think it makes more sense to simply update the shiny new CONCACAF rankings with all the results and then use that to seed the new League of Nations. Surely the CONCACAF rankings will be the method used going forward so why not start the way you mean to continue? The qualifying matches will give everybody a fair shot at improving their ranking before the League of Nations begins.

Edited by dsqpr

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Like, is that a sell out? Or were there 6,000 empty seats for that Cuba game?

At the time there were stands on 3 sides there, so it was 6,000 empty seats.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

As for the women, I wasn't trying to compare them, just thought I would post those numbers while I had them readily available. And I'm not sure why you are trying to remember 12k when I posted the number (14,434) in my post, along with the 28,255 against USA.

Sorry, I skim read your post and didn't notice at first that you had posted the official Costa Rica attendance. That said, I tend to be quite good at guesstimating attendances by looking around the stands (mostly from watching football in England where the official number tends to be accurate because almost everybody who buys a ticket actually shows up) and I'm pretty sure the official number for that match is a little high. Not that that is relevant to this discussion.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Just curious, how do you suppose we determine the fan support without having some games there? Are you thinking about using support for CPL teams as a barometer for which cities could be tested with the CMNT? I'm not against that at all, I think that could be one of the benefits of the CPL. I'd just also be happy to see them get a shot before the CPL starts up.

Excellent question. Support for CPL teams would be good way to guesstimate potential support for the national team. In the meantime it is my understanding that we often lose money when the men play at home so my thought is that our priority for now should be to right that ship by building and taking advantage of a good base of support in a small number of locations (but more than one location! so that even just Toronto and Vancouver works for me). Once we have that and are financially viable overall we can start experimenting with the smaller markets.

Edited by dsqpr

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I see you are a relatively new member so you may not remember the angst suffered by many of us over home matches with massive away support. We need to go where the CANADA fans will turn out in force, not the away fans! In the end, that will also be the path to higher revenue because those fans will be there for every match.

If we draw Haiti at home then based on what you have said the match should definitely be in Vancouver!

I understand, terrible oversight on my part. You are right, the entire reason the Voyageurs exist is to make Canada games more "pro-Canada". Apologies if I've missed the point here.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

I understand, terrible oversight on my part. You are right, the entire reason the Voyageurs exist is to make Canada games more "pro-Canada". Apologies if I've missed the point here.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not - but in case it isn't...

It is depressing as hell to watch a game in Canada and feel like we are the away team.  Playing Haiti in Montreal is exactly that scenario - both because of Montreal's sometimes tepid support for the Nats, and the rabid pro-Haiti crowd that would support  (and has supported) their team.  While the gate revenue might be a perk, the damage of having a hugely pro--Haiti crowd in Canada, cheering against us, often on TV, is not worth the extra revenue - especially when there are other venues that can deliver the same numbers but with a far more pro Canada crowd.  

If anything, many V's have advocated for more strategic selection of venues to give us every advantage, especially in important games.  If Mexico gets to play at altitude, and Honduras gets to schedule games under the midday sun, we should be using our Canadian advantage - play the Carribean nations in Newfoundland in the fall, or whatever.  But at minimum, don't play in a location that gives their fans the best chance to come out en masse to support the opposition.

4 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Ha ha, no need to apologize! If you are young enough to not realize that pro Canada crowds at our home matches are a very recent phenomenon then I can certainly see where you were coming from. And the fact is that good away support definitely adds to the atmosphere -- just so long as it is overwhelmed by the home support at matches here in Canada! ;)

So the format is confirmed and will be split into three divisions:

League A will have 12 teams in four groups of three, with the bottom team of each group being relegated and the winner of each group advancing to a playoff.

League B will have 16 teams in four groups of four, with the winner of each group promoting to League A and the bottom team of each group relegating to League C.

League C will have 13 teams in four groups; one of four and three of three, with the winner of each group promoting to League B.

Just now, ray said:

So automatic Gold Cup qualification is done?  Canada have to finish in the top 10 of the initial qualifying rankings to make the 2019 Gold Cup? 

Yes, they have confirmed that the Nations League qualifying process will also serve as qualifying for the 2019 Gold Cup and the Nations League itself will serve as qualifying for future Gold Cups.

Our opening match in September 2018 will be away against the US Virgin Islands.

Our second match in October 2018 will be at home against Dominica.

Our third match in November 2018 will be away to St. Kitts and Nevis.

Our final match in March 2019 will be at home against French Guiana.

Edited by Zem