Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He did cramp up in the OQ game though.

We are are out of season and it was sunny and 29°C+ and at altitude but still... he seemed to be 95% match fit when he needs to be 100%.

Obviously a gem of a player when on his game though.

If he was 95% match fit then I’d be a little worried, he may have cramped up but he also wanted to play on and Biello didn’t take a chance. He was probably 60% match fit and the second best player on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea but I wonder how much of that was a MDS thing because I’m not sure he’s fully trusting MB.

During one of his q & a's last season, Dos Santos inferred that durability was a concern he had, stating words to the effect that Baldisimo was never available for a full week of training because of one injury issue or another.  Prior to last season, I believe he was out for a considerable chunk of time with injuries.  But I also don't think Dos Santos is entirely trusting of him, either.  He had a good defensive game vs Seattle where his sole job when the Sounders were in possession was to track Lodeiro down wherever the Uruguayan talisman went and he did a good job with it (as pointed by former TSNer Kristian Jack).  Otherwise, he's still a work in progress in tracking late runs and such.  Maybe new Cap assistant coach Ricardo Clark can help him with that area of his game. 

Unlike some others here, I don't see him as a box to box guy at all.  To me, he's best in a deeper lying role where he drop dimes from distance to the flank attackers using either foot.  But he would really benefit playing alongside a big engined ball winner type in a 4-2-3-1.  Last year he had moments where he got caught in possession during the opposition press so as this team progresses and gets game planned by future opposition, I am curious how well his game (and the games of some of the other mids) will rise to the occasion.

As to the Atiba link story, I am somewhat skeptical of the substance but you never know, right?

9 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I'd like to see him establish himself as a starter in the MLS before making the jump though.

Imo I think this statement is overrated. 
The reality in MLS is if you’re not on big money. The chances for you to be a guaranteed starter are very slim. It’s the nature of the league and their roster builds. Then you gotta factor in a team like the caps, who are in “wIn NoW” mode. 

So for me, if any substantial European opportunity comes knocking, and you’re between 20-23. Leave, get outta there while it’s hot. If in 4 years the move(s) hasn’t panned out, they’ll be 24-27 with experience and can always come back to MLS.

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

During one of his q & a's last season, Dos Santos inferred that durability was a concern he had, stating words to the effect that Baldisimo was never available for a full week of training because of one injury issue or another.  Prior to last season, I believe he was out for a considerable chunk of time with injuries.  But I also don't think Dos Santos is entirely trusting of him, either.  He had a good defensive game vs Seattle where his sole job when the Sounders were in possession was to track Lodeiro down wherever the Uruguayan talisman went and he did a good job with it (as pointed by former TSNer Kristian Jack).  Otherwise, he's still a work in progress in tracking late runs and such.  Maybe new Cap assistant coach Ricardo Clark can help him with that area of his game. 

Unlike some others here, I don't see him as a box to box guy at all.  To me, he's best in a deeper lying role where he drop dimes from distance to the flank attackers using either foot.  But he would really benefit playing alongside a big engined ball winner type in a 4-2-3-1.  Last year he had moments where he got caught in possession during the opposition press so as this team progresses and gets game planned by future opposition, I am curious how well his game (and the games of some of the other mids) will rise to the occasion.

As to the Atiba link story, I am somewhat skeptical of the substance but you never know, right?

Yea I don’t think he’s box to box either, and he apparently came into camp on another gear. Ricardo Clark could teach him a lot. If fitness is an issue I have questions for their Fitness coach.

14 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

If he was 95% match fit then I’d be a little worried, he may have cramped up but he also wanted to play on and Biello didn’t take a chance. He was probably 60% match fit and the second best player on the pitch.

Fair enough. My percentage was not supposed to be exact, simply that he looked comfortable, played well, wasn't really struggling but was clearly cramping up and not fully 100% match fit.

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Fair enough. My percentage was not supposed to be exact, simply that he looked comfortable, played well, wasn't really struggling but was clearly cramping up and not fully 100% match fit.

Understood, I wish we were in season because there’s a few guys that I would love to see at their peak fitness. 

On the bright side, for us the games come in the perfect order to grow into the tournament.  We go from the weakest to strongest opponents throughout this tourney. 

Start with ES, build to Haiti, hit form for Honduras, and then go to war against US or Mexico in the semis.   It literally couldn’t be any better for team chemistry and fitness.  

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Heard .. Theo is going to be Besiktas too 

Maybe on loan ? Rumour is Baldi and Theo were recommended by Hutchinson.

If Laryea happens and it succeeds id imagine the Canada-Turkey pipeline opens, like the like Canada-Belgium line that is being established. 

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Corbeanu. 

That would make more sense.

Regardless, Besiktas are not going to sign anyone unless they are convinced they can help. Laryea makes sense to me, he grew up with Cyle, he is experienced, is a player who could clearly grow in a harder pro environment. 

Corbeanu: well if at some point Wolves think he should loan out, that would be fine. But it would also be fine to another 50 different clubs out there as good as Besiktas.

Baldisimo: he's going to have to show a lot more to justify that kind of move.

I like Baldisimo, but I don't see him moving to Besiktas right now, unless it's to be a long term project, which Besiktas doesn't really do. Hutchinson may have mentioned him and Corebanu as players to keep an eye on, but Laryea likely gained traction because he can help them in an area of need today. Besiktas doesn't really need a winger or a center mid right now, but they do need a right back. Hence the apparent Laryea negotiations.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I like Baldisimo, but I don't see him moving to Besiktas right now, unless it's to be a long term project, which Besiktas doesn't really do. Hutchinson may have mentioned him and Corebanu as players to keep an eye on, but Laryea likely gained traction because he can help them in an area of need today. Besiktas doesn't really need a winger or a center mid right now, but they do need a right back. Hence the apparent Laryea negotiations.

They could buy and loan Baldi though

Not that I expect it to happen, and certainly there isn't a link, but wouldn't Hoilett have the type of profile Besiktas are after? Experienced winger with PL and Championship games under his belt, but struggling to get in with his club....

And did I mention he's Canadian? 

Personally don't think it makes sense for someone like Theo to go out on loan in Turkey. He is only 18, and at this point you want him in an environment that will ensure his progress. Sending a promising young player that's just finding their way to fend by himself in a new country with a new culture doesn't seem the best way to set them up for success. Makes more sense for Theo to go on a Championship loan.

11 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Personally don't think it makes sense for someone like Theo to go out on loan in Turkey. He is only 18, and at this point you want him in an environment that will ensure his progress. Sending a promising young player that's just finding their way to fend by himself in a new country with a new culture doesn't seem the best way to set them up for success. Makes more sense for Theo to go on a Championship loan.

Low L1/ high L2 is more realistic for Theo, so I wouldn't be opposed if Besiktas would be willing to give him playing time (which is another question). 

In regards to Baldisimo, if those Olympic qualifiers are the only games you've seen of him, I hope you'll all watch him this season. Even if he wasn't great overall, he showed a skillset I didn't even know he had. If he can add that to the playmaking he's known for, I really don't think a Besiktas move would be that far fetched. 

44 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Only 18?  This is the norm.  What age do you think the double d's left Canada?  Unless you prefer the Fraser / TFC system?

Going out on loan with two other senior Canadians would be a great opportunity. 

Edited by costarg

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Only 18?  This is the norm.  What age do you think the double d's left Canada?  Unless you prefer the Fraser / TFC system?

Going out on loan with two other senior Canadians would be a great opportunity. 

The Turkish Superlig is not particularly known to be kind to young players. Would not be against Theo going to Belgium, Germany, or France, Big difference there.

3 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

The Turkish Superlig is not particularly known to be kind to young players. Would not be against Theo going to Belgium, Germany, or France, Big difference there.

I didn't know the Superlig was particularly tougher for young players.  I agree I'd prefer Ajax or Porto who excel at developing and flipping.  However, I figure with Larin and Hutch around it'll be a lot easier to acclimate.  I see a loan as a temporary and good experience. 

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

I didn't know the Superlig was particularly tougher for young players.  I agree I'd prefer Ajax or Porto who excel at developing and flipping.  However, I figure with Larin and Hutch around it'll be a lot easier to acclimate.  I see a loan as a temporary and good experience. 

Turkey is like the Chinese Super League of Europe.