Changes to the Voyageurs Cup

Zem

Seems like this kinda flew under the radar a bit, the CSA has officially announced some changes to the Voyageurs Cup as part of its scheduling announcement on Tuesday:

http://canadasoccer.com/canadian-championship-kicks-off-10th-edition-in-may-with-more-canadian-content-p160637

Notable changes that will take effect in:

2017: All clubs will be required to have at least three Canadian domestic players in their starting XI for every match in the CC.

2018: The previous year's L1O and PLSQ league champions will qualify to play in the Voyageurs Cup (the Inter-Provincial Cup will be abolished as a result).

I'm glad they finally added a domestic roster requirement, although I feel like it's a bit lax. The fact it's only a starting XI requirement is also a bit disappointing to me because it means a team could still theoretically finish a game with no Canadians on the pitch. That said, Canadian content has hardly been a major issue so far in the Cup's history, so hopefully that doesn't change any time soon.

Obviously 2018 is a year on the minds of most of us Voyageurs, so it's interesting to see them coming out to say they're adding two more teams that year to *theoretically* make it 7 total. It's pretty much impossible to structure a cup competition in a reasonable way with that number of clubs, so we can probably assume that the CSA is planning to add more as-of-yet-unannounced teams to the competition. Of course this isn't exactly earthshattering, and they could even be adding the champion of the proposed BC D3 league instead (if it launches by then). Moreover, even if it is the CPL it doesn't change anything we already knew, i.e. they're planning to launch it in 2018. Still an interesting nugget I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Zem said:

Of course this isn't exactly earthshattering, and they could even be adding the champion of the proposed BC D3 league instead (if it launches by then). 

Since the BCRT3 is announced to launch in 2018, they won't have a champion to compete in 2018. This does create a good setup to have them added for 2019 though. It also gets around the league's short season (May - July), which excluded them from the Interprovincial Cup.

24 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Since the BCRT3 is announced to launch in 2018, they won't have a champion to compete in 2018. This does create a good setup to have them added for 2019 though. It also gets around the league's short season (May - July), which excluded them from the Interprovincial Cup.

True and true, dunno how I didn't realize that; CPL 2018 confirmed I guess! (/s, sort of)

9 hours ago, Zem said:

...so it's interesting to see them coming out to say they're adding two more teams that year to *theoretically* make it 7 total. It's pretty much impossible to structure a cup competition in a reasonable way with that number of clubs, so we can probably assume that the CSA is planning to add more as-of-yet-unannounced teams to the competition...

The winner from the previous year gets a bye into the semi-finals would be the obvious way to handle it, so I don't think anything deeper should be read into that. There is talk of the Whitecaps selling their USL franchise and moving to having an affiliate, so they might get an eighth team that way by the start of the 2018 season. Beyond that I think, if anything, this announcement points to the new domestic pro league not launching until 2019 at the earliest, because it would probably have rated some sort of mention otherwise. I think this announcement suggests that another CSA executive meeting has passed by with no big "CPL" related announcement (which would explain the recent days away tweets from Anthony Totera and his subsequent silence and the 45 day timeline that John McGrane had mentioned in the Hamilton Spectator). Hopefully eventually, the format will be something like Australia's FFA Cup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_FFA_Cup

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Beyond that I think, if anything, this announcement points to the new domestic pro league not launching until 2019 at the earliest, because it would probably have rated some sort of mention otherwise.

A perfectly logical conclusion to draw. Of course it makes complete sense for the news release to be "The schedule for the Canadian Championship is out!!! P.S. our pro league will launch next year with these 6 teams."

I already thought they were burying the lead with regards to L1O and PLSQ involvement in the Voyageurs Cup. Slipping in the CPL announcement as well would have been crazy. Even doing it the other way around, having the Voyageurs Cup schedule announced as the sub-story in the CPL announcement news would have been weird.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

A perfectly logical conclusion to draw. Of course it makes complete sense for the news release to be "The schedule for the Canadian Championship is out!!! P.S. our pro league will launch next year with these 6 teams."

Not seeing the wood for the trees. The phrasing of the press release isn't what is important. It's what's missing amongst the decisions that the CSA has just reached that is quite telling:

On 3/10/2017 at 3:28 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The winner from the previous year gets a bye into the semi-finals would be the obvious way to handle it, so I don't think anything deeper should be read into that. There is talk of the Whitecaps selling their USL franchise and moving to having an affiliate, so they might get an eighth team that way by the start of the 2018 season. Beyond that I think, if anything, this announcement points to the new domestic pro league not launching until 2019 at the earliest, because it would probably have rated some sort of mention otherwise. I think this announcement suggests that another CSA executive meeting has passed by with no big "CPL" related announcement (which would explain the recent days away tweets from Anthony Totera and his subsequent silence and the 45 day timeline that John McGrane had mentioned in the Hamilton Spectator). Hopefully eventually, the format will be something like Australia's FFA Cup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_FFA_Cup

i would like to see the whitecaps re name and move Whitecaps 2 to Burnaby and play at swangard for the CanPL

17 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

i would like to see the whitecaps re name and move Whitecaps 2 to Burnaby and play at swangard for the CanPL

It sounds like the door has been shut on the MLS2 team idea. Which is good IMO if they actually have enough teams fully committed to get by without them

18 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

i'd rather see TSS Rovers move up to CanPL personally... and change their name and brand to Burnaby.

they've got a cool ass flag and unique colours, please don't stay black and red ffs

490px-Flag_of_Burnaby,_BC.svg.png

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

i'd rather see TSS Rovers move up to CanPL personally... and change their name and brand to Burnaby.

they've got a cool ass flag and unique colours, please don't stay black and red ffs

That's assuming they have a lot more resources than they likely have. 

On 12/03/2017 at 8:05 AM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

There used to be a team that played in yellow and blue with a really cool crest that played at Swangard.

86ers.png58c78ceacec18_86ersteamphoto.jpeg.a0f54eff68754f0a7a20a74085e3a6a3.jpeg

Then they changed leagues, changed colours and abandoned their crest for a 'logo' that looked as if it was drawn by a three-year-old.

crappy logo.jpeg58c78cf81b596_86ersredblack.jpeg.4f2356dbfb27f5898e7090371354a981.jpeg

15 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I sure hope you mean the original one.  Otherwise I'll be sending the brigade of doctors that travel in a van and pick people up and take them back to the asylum over to your place.

lol I figured that was assumed, yea the new one is a hot pile of garbage.  

I figured you guys would know me well enough by now :P

Archived