Impact 2017 Season.

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, Yohan said:

Crepeau looked pretty horrid unfortunately. 

He looked bad on the fourth goal.  He had no chance on the others.   Some will question his decision making on the the play that lead to the PK, but even the veteran keepers nowadays do the same thing. It happens almost every week to someone.    Its hardly the keepers fault on those kind plays.  If he backs off and doesnt challenge for the ball, the opponent will probably score anyways. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He looked bad on the fourth goal.  He had no chance on the others.

The first goal was absolutely his fault and he was very indecisive on the second goal. But the bigger issue was that he punched everything, he doesn't trust his hands at all.

50 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The first goal was absolutely his fault and he was very indecisive on the second goal. But the bigger issue was that he punched everything, he doesn't trust his hands at all.

I've been around awhile and was a pretty decent keeper back in the day, and what I can say is that they are teaching 'punch first' now, even in training. Thus, the keeper has no confidence to actually catch the ball, and the result is predictable. Not every punch is perfect, or the punch goes straight to an opponent, and goals are scored. Every game both keepers punch when they could easily catch, with little to no traffic around them. I don't get it, and I don't like it. But stop by an elite youth gk training camp and watch what they are doing. It's ridiculous.

And, son, don't get beat on the near post...

14 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I've been around awhile and was a pretty decent keeper back in the day, and what I can say is that they are teaching 'punch first' now, even in training. Thus, the keeper has no confidence to actually catch the ball, and the result is predictable. Not every punch is perfect, or the punch goes straight to an opponent, and goals are scored. Every game both keepers punch when they could easily catch, with little to no traffic around them. I don't get it, and I don't like it. But stop by an elite youth gk training camp and watch what they are doing. It's ridiculous.

Where have you seen that? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm genuinely curious because punch-first should never be taught at the youth levels. I haven't coached an elite team or anything, but I do have a US E license since I needed it to coach at an American high school. The USSF is very clear that kids should be learning catch, kill, punch. 

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Where have you seen that? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm genuinely curious because punch-first should never be taught at the youth levels. I haven't coached an elite team or anything, but I do have a US E license since I needed it to coach at an American high school. The USSF is very clear that kids should be learning catch, kill, punch. 

Latest example, in the last month at three different sessions -- St Louis Scott Gallagher SC, WashU and SLU summer camps... It's not that the coaches are specifically saying "punch first", more so that a significant amount of sessions are on parrying and punching instead of catching. Even more, on shooting and crossing drills keepers are constantly being praised for punching. It's summer camps/training sessions, catch, even in traffic. If ball is dropped, who cares.... It seems to me the emphasis has shifted, hence why I say "punch first".

I did ask a coach in Australia about this a few years ago, and his answer was that punching was the safer option. He then talked about the ball moving more so than it used to... While I do not discount ball design/swerve for the professional level (although the constant punching drives me nuts there too - and Crepeau last match unnecessarily parried and punched several times), I don't see it affecting youth football that much.

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I was at the game and it looked like a 2nd division team against a 1st division team. We aren't the worst team in the league as there are always a few teams we play against that seem worse than us, Philadelphia for example, but we are pretty bad though Piatti's brilliance sometimes disguises this. The problem with the Impact from Day 1 has been management of the team and the refusal to hire good coaches and managers and then let them do their jobs unhindered. Saputo spends enough money that we usually will be competitive enough to challenge for a playoff spot but we are grossly underachieving. We had a few good games in the playoffs last year after a poor season and management ignored all of our blatant weaknesses and did nothing in the off season just like a few years ago. I like Biello and Braz both from when they were players and personally when I have met them but if they are going to be successful coaches or managers they should work their way through lower divisions not just be given a team. And above all, Nick de Santis needs to be removed from team management. The best coach we had since we joined MLS was Jesse Marsh and he was let go for "philosophical differences", ie. he wanted to make the decisions a head coach should be free to make and that is not how it works at the Impact. It is no surprise that Red Bull is a good team every year under him and he was the coach on the other side last night in this humiliating result. 4-0 was actually flattering for the Impact given the run play, it was one way traffic towards our goal.

Mtl is just too old. It's a veteran roster that's just hoping for one serious run to win all the way and not enough depth. And keep getting killed on set pieces.

Pretty shit at drafting too. That's on GM

11 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Mtl is just too old. It's a veteran roster that's just hoping for one serious run to win all the way and not enough depth. And keep getting killed on set pieces.

Pretty shit at drafting too. That's on GM

Part of the problem is not being able to develop their draft picks because of their lack of a development squad. That and Biello's reluctance to play any of their younger players (other than Tabla obviously).

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

How does the coaching staff feel about S.Shome?

Piette signing will be helpful for an older team and getting younger is a step forward. Does Pietter start right away possible, but maybe not to soon perhaps. 

I think Shome was signed more for the future. Bernier's supposed to retire at the end of the year. Donadel and Bernardello aren't getting younger.

I don't think Piette will start on Saturday, but if the team doesn't turn around, it's hard to see him not getting an opportunity.

“I am very happy to join the Impact, the club of my heart, and to have the chance to play in front of my family, friends and our supporters,” Piette said in a club release. “I can’t wait to wear the bleu-blanc-noir jersey"

Damn that's sweet. Great to see all his hard work and travels pay off. Here's hoping he has a long and injury free career in MLS.

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

No. They were hoping the ITC would arrive, but it didn't.

That's a shame. Hopefully next week then. Too bad because in playing Orlando, they'll be plenty of Canadians on show and adding another would have made a good game even better. 

4 hours ago, mtlfan said:

Impact rebound with Jackson scoring late. This was a must win with 5 games coming up against Chicago and TFC. Patti is such a joy to watch.

Interesting thing i noted about Jackson-Hamel.  He now has six goals in twelve games that he has played in.   With 468 minutes of playing time, his stat show that he averages 1.15 goals per 90 minutes of play.  Phenomenal strike rate. Second best in MLS behind Josef Martinez of Atlanta.

From what I have seen of Piette, if he does not start and get major minutes, he will be gone by next season. 

He was playing a fair amount at Racing Ferrol 2 seasons ago, but not enough for his liking. So he requested to return to a lower tier at Deportivo B, to play. He won't wait around for minutes. 

At Izarra last year he pretty well played every minute he was available. He missed Canada call-ups and maybe card accumulation, that is it. 

So be ready. He's happy to be back in Mtl, but to play, and if he doesn't, he'll take his new market value and market it out.

Piette was a sub at Racing Ferrol and was not able to get a starting spot after more than 20 matchdays. With only 13 games left, the team fighting for a playoff spot, him not knowing teammates and Biello not keen on making major changes, he probably won't play a lot this season. He just needs to be patient and with a full preseason with the team, Bernier retiring and maybe another mid such as Mallace gone he will be in a good position to get regular minutes next year.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Piette was a sub at Racing Ferrol and was not able to get a starting spot after more than 20 matchdays. With only 13 games left, the team fighting for a playoff spot, him not knowing teammates and Biello not keen on making major changes, he probably won't play a lot this season. He just needs to be patient and with a full preseason with the team, Bernier retiring and maybe another mid such as Mallace gone he will be in a good position to get regular minutes next year.

Mark my words, he'll be asking to leave by December if that happens. He is totally ambitious and Impact is about moving up and playing. If he doesn't, he'll request a transfer, be assured. He is not going to wait. 

Neither Donadel or Bernardello have been stellar this year and Donadel gifted Larin the goal he scored last game with ridiculously bad defending. Our defending has been terrible this year and the midfield has to share the blame in that with the defenders. Plus there will be a lot of pressure on Biello to play Piette by the fans who want to see another Quebecker in the lineup. Piette will definitely get an opportunity and if he plays like he did in the Gold Cup should take a lot of pressure off the defence which we will need if we want to make the playoffs.

On 2017-08-03 at 3:20 PM, TRM said:

“I am very happy to join the Impact, the club of my heart, and to have the chance to play in front of my family, friends and our supporters,” Piette said in a club release. “I can’t wait to wear the bleu-blanc-noir jersey"

Damn that's sweet. Great to see all his hard work and travels pay off. Here's hoping he has a long and injury free career in MLS.

It's funny whenever I see a local home boy sign or play for the Impact this scene from The Last Samurai comes to mind...

IMG_5680.JPG

Wow. Does the Impact do everything people tell them to do on the RDS comments section? They just traded Calum Mallace to Seattle for basically a bag of soccer balls. There goes one of the last original modern Impact players who's been w the club since its inception in 2012. Just Bernier, Bush and Camara left. 

I'll remember having the opportunity to witness his fk goal against Ottawa which he captained the team, that was cool. And the time i saw him in a preseason indoor practice back in 2014 where he scored a wicked blast from distance in a scrimmage. And of course that pass he made to Porter vs Pachuca. 

Good luck Calum. 

I am happy for Mallace as Biello had no confidence in him except for bench warmer. He is the only player I ever spoke to when I met him at the annual private practice, he is a class act. The Impact do not seem to like American players they also gave away Miller who has 45 starts in year and a half.

3 hours ago, mtlfan said:

I am happy for Mallace as Biello had no confidence in him except for bench warmer. He is the only player I ever spoke to when I met him at the annual private practice, he is a class act. The Impact do not seem to like American players they also gave away Miller who has 45 starts in year and a half.

Toia as well. The Impact are like if this forum tried to run a club.

Archived