Canada vs Scotland

Ruffian

On 3/23/2017 at 1:49 AM, kacbru said:

Are people on here sure they were watching the same game?  Bustos is the future and Whitecaps hate Canada / Bustos is so slow it's no wonder he never sees the pitch in Vancouver.  Piette is awesome / Piette should never play again.  Corbin-Ong had a howler / Corbin-Ong undiscovered gem. Tissot is the future at LB / Tissot is a liability.  The only consensus seems to be around the play of Aird.

I'll have to watch the game myself now, I obviously can't trust any of you.

Ha! Yes, please watch the game and think for yourself. We encourage independent thought! 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Bustos just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the way the Whitecaps first team is set up.

How then did Bustos average a goal per 2.5 games in the USL? Do they set the team up differently down there? Clearly he did enough at the level for the Whitecaps to keep him around, right? I mean, why even hold on to him if you don't think he can contribute in MLS?

It's interesting they sold Froese and kept Bustos. Couldn't they have sold Bustos somewhere in Mexico where he'd fit the style of play? They'd seemingly make better use of a slow, yet technical and crafty attacker.

Everyone has to be an good athlete now in any serious level of soccer, and it's been that way for a while. It's one of Teibert's biggest problems. Froese wanted to leave, BTW, although I do wish he would have been given more of a shot and room to grow as the second CM.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah Bustos just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the way the Whitecaps first team is set up.

How then did Bustos average a goal per 2.5 games in the USL? Do they set the team up differently down there? Clearly he did enough at the level for the Whitecaps to keep him around, right? I mean, why even hold on to him if you don't think he can contribute in MLS?

It's interesting they sold Froese and kept Bustos. Couldn't they have sold Bustos somewhere in Mexico where he'd fit the style of play? They'd seemingly make better use of a slow, yet technical and crafty attacker.

With WC2 he plays in the hole behind the target striker, which is where he MUST play. He is way more successful there. With the senior side he will have to battle Mezquida, Reyna and maybe Manneh for that position, and while he may be more technically gifted than all those guys, he is certainly far slower

19 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

With WC2 he plays in the hole behind the target striker, which is where he MUST play. He is way more successful there. With the senior side he will have to battle Mezquida, Reyna and maybe Manneh for that position, and while he may be more technically gifted than all those guys, he is certainly far slower

Sounds exactly where he played for the CanMNT against Scotland this week.

Well he didn't look out of place against Championship and EPL level players, which is good on him considering he's a 20 year old USL player who cannot even get into his MLS side.

I certainly agree with your post. I am not optimistic he'll get in the side ahead of Mezquida who will likely keep alternating with Manneh until Reyna is back.

I hope he does keep getting looks in that role for Canada though. I do think him and Jackson made a great pair. Perhaps Aleman or even Osorio can play that role for us too.

Putting the guys in the right spots to get the most out of them.  Thats what a good manager does.  Tiebert should get out of Van, Froese was right to leave, and probably Bustos could do better somewhere else as well.  Bustos showed well and I hope that opens some eyes to the talents he does have (not speed), and the Caps send him off to get playing time elsewhere.  Better for both sides.  

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think this result is a good example of what high motivation will do for a few players, and those few players can drag the team up a notch or two.  And what low motivation (Scotland) can do to a good squad.  Arfield and Aird were highly motivated and played excellent games against the national team that had no room for them.   So now the job is to get several (or all) or players to be as highly motivated to beat Honduras, Panama etc down in their barn. Not to play timid, defensive Floro ball.   

Maybe we should be naturalizing all Hondurans that don't make their national team. Imagine how motivated we will be.  We'd be a lock for the hex.

Scrolled through this thread - wish I came to this site more often. I love the discussion about our senior men's games. Although the discussions may suffer from dissociation identity disorder, it's always a pleasure.

I haven't watched the match - just the highlights. It's nice to read some OK things about James. Be great if he got onto a better team or at least a better league some how.

Re: Bustos - as a Whitecaps fan, I'd love not much more than a guy like Bustos (and Adekugbe) to get into the 1st team alongside Davies (until we sell Davies anyway!). Is Bustos currently better than Mezquida? No. Which means he isn't better than the other options in that position. But, can he be better and can he help the club sell more tickets? I think definitely yes. The problem for Bustos is the manager. Robbo loves nothing more than a long ball, and is in love with the counter attack. He's trying to repeat Leicesters 4411, in his own 4231, but he doesn't understand that even Leicester had about 45% possession, and their pass completion was also very high. Or at least it appears he doesn't understand. Bustos can never play in the team like it is set-up now and be successful. He just can't. If I am Bustos, I ask to leave, right now. Immediately. Even if it's a loan to a team like FC Dallas or (don't shoot me), Portland....also hearing great things about Atlanta's style....but I'd prefer he just leave MLS. Maybe he can get into a Spanish team, Mexican team, or maybe move down to Costa Rica and play with Aleman. Something more technical/crafty. He just isn't an "MLS player." You know? He just isn't. If he was as fast as Giovinco, sure. But he isn't.

Re: Adekugbe (as noted above) - in the games I have seen his passing range, creativity, and pace make him clearly a far better prospect than Harvey. Harvey is in the team because Robinson loves him. Harvey works hard. So Robinson loves him. Adekugbe works just as hard, but isn't "experienced" like Harvey is. But, Harvey is the perfect example of what's wrong with the Whitecaps and why guys like Adekugbe can't get into the team. 

I like Robinson as he seems like a genuine guy, but the last thing he is doing is helping our youth develop (he isn't developing Davies - Davies is a natural!) it seems to me. He gets them into the game, but it's so sporadic they can't settle and grow thus the saying Whitecaps Hate Canada ;)

Archived