Canada vs Scotland

Ruffian

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Bustos too me played a 7 rating game. I was primarily looking at what we did with possession when we had it, passing, movement, and decision making ....and to me Bustos did all of that. He rarely gave the ball away, and held up the ball nicely.

I second this. Bustos had a great game. I do not understand why he doesn't get time with Vancouver 

Getting a result is great, probably not alone in total pessimism thinking we'd somehow screw up last second. 

I thought we had some nice spells, showed work as a team, some confidence, then some quality on the ball, like Arfield. I do like him. as soon as we learn to make better decisions in the final third, not be too anxious and keep the ball moving, we are going to take a step up. 

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's a good result, but by god it's painful to watch Canada when we get the ball at midfield.  We either stand around with it, or pass it back and forth until Scotland intercepts.

It's like they want to be defending again because at least they know how to do that.

I do not disagree we looked like a team who are not used to playing with each other

What can I say about Aird? Fantastic performance! Feels like that moment when bobby wood scored against Germany and was sold from 1860 to Hamburg shortly thereafter.

Arfield played well. Has a great engine. I also have to tip my hat to piette. Did very will aside Arfield and broke up plays and kept the ball moving. Both covered lots of ground. Bustos ahead of them gave the team an outlet which was very important. 

Goalkeepers

Splitting the 45's with Simon getting the start, he looked the more comfortable or familiar keeper.  Considering this was Jayson's debut, he didn't have much to do which is okay, but his distribution was nervy a few times. Although Simon gave up the only goal, his shot stopping and distribution showed a little better than Jayson's, however they both put forth a solid showing. They look like the new number 2 & 3 keepers for Canada.

*Shout out Stamma, respect for your service.

Simon Thomas: 6.5

Jayson Leutwiller: 6

Bustos needs the chance TFC have given  to Osorio, Osorio had the skills to play and Vanney saw this and took a chance on him and gave him the chance to play , Bustos has the skills too and Vancouver needs to give him a chance also. There is no reason why Bustos is not even on the bench for Vancouver.

Good game.  Pleasantly surprised, we were playing football out there!

Neither of the keepers distinguished themselves today.  

Ledgerwood isnt good but hes good enough.  No ridiculous plays, fouls or cards ever.  Straith we need to improve on immediately, Vitoria, Jakovic someone has to step up.  James is a stud and will be a staple on our backline for years to come.  Tissot did well, Corbin-Ong has a good throw/fro combo.  

Piette I thought did a solid job.  Arfield provided leadership and was an available outlet all game.  Dont mind him paired with Piette in the middle.  

Hoilett had a good first half, play declined as the second half progressed.  Bustos didnt do much, but what he did do was ok.  Aird was dangerous all game long, hes fast, can bring down balls, take on defenders, and has one hell of a shot.  He's sold me on that winger starting spot for now.  

Jackson while not really dangerous did a good job linking with the wingers at times.  

With some additions, we could actually do something at the Gold Cup.

Larin

Hoilett Osorio Aird

Johnson Arfield

Tissot James Vitoria Ledgerwood

Borjan

Haber, Jackson, Ricketts, Akindele, Davies, Teibert, Piette, Straith, Lefevre, deJong, Thomas, Leutwiler

Or something like that.

I think Jackson will give Zambrano something to think about. His work rate up top was fantastic and I think today showed that when surrounded with players who can play (hoilett, Bustos, aird, Arfield), he too elevates his own game in terms of also playing football. Ricketts brings a tremendous work rate too, but there is a cap on what he can do technically, whereas Jackson can raise his standard.

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Bustos needs the chance TFC have given  to Osorio, Osorio had the skills to play and Vanney saw this and took a chance on him and gave him the chance to play , Bustos has the skills too and Vancouver needs to give him a chance also. There is no reason why Bustos is not even on the bench for Vancouver.

Bustos never generated much but he has this innate shiftiness about him. His first touch under pressure to turn and elude opponents is incredible. If all it does is allow us to keep the ball in the middle and attacking third, it's worth it having him out there.

Defenders

The usual suspects, with Manjekar, Adam, and Nikky starting in the back, the performance from all three could be summed up as "Expected". Nik played expected in his 50th cap leading boys, not to pressed or affective getting forward, but reliable defensively. Adam had his typical few little brain farts that led to some opportunities that didn't avail to anything, but he did have good distribution and ball retention from the back. Manjekar still at times seems raw, but he still continues to show his potential to be our future leading center back. The revelation came from (the surprise left side, the issue that has been non-existent with Canada's abundance amount of left backs) Maxime Tissot who was up and down the wing at Easter Road, causing and creating a lot of width for the attackers to create. He plays in the mould of De Jong, in where he's willing and able to get forward, while being reliable to get back defensively. Also a player to not go unmentioned was La'vere. Another solid debut from a guy who literally came out of nowhere through hard work. He continued where Tissot left off, and couldn't have done much then what he was given for his name to not go unmentioned for future teams.  

LB - Maxim Tissot - 7 ->  La'Vere Corbin Ong - 6

CB - Adam Straith - 5.5

CB - Manjekar James - 6

RB - Nikolas Ledgerwood - 6.5 

56 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I can hear you screaming at the screen "SHORT CORNER WTF" from here, Scott!

Actually, I thought it was an extremely well thought out play and executed with world class, Messi-like precision and guile, truly worthy of absolute recognition in theeeeeblahblahblahblahblah

Nice call Sean, its like we have watched a Canada match or two before in our time or something... lol

At the risk of opening up a debate that I'm too lazy to have, am I the only one who thinks Bustos is very overrated here? I just see a lot of flash with no substance with his play.

Now I will say that I'm primarily basing this on what I've seen at the club level. Didn't watch the Bermuda, Ghana or Korea friendlies. I barely noticed him in this game, and the games against Mauritania and Morroco, although I was also trying to work and watch at the same time for all 3 friendlies. 

Maybe I'll have a different opinion when the CSA uploads the video of the Scotland friendly to YouTube?

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

At the risk of opening up a debate that I'm too lazy to have, am I the only one who thinks Bustos is very overrated here? I just see a lot of flash with no substance with his play.

Maybe I'll have a different opinion when the CSA uploads the video of the Scotland friendly to YouTube?

Debate it is, but maybe we all need to rewatch the game over. 

But based on what I saw, he does have a little flash when he's on the ball, which sometimes led to a back pass....but for me, it was where he was collecting the ball, how he ensured he kept it and then how he looked to make the 1-2 passes with the midfield to start the break. He did all that well, while rarely giving the ball away and that sticks out a lot for a 20yo. 

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Now I will say that I'm primarily basing this on what I've seen at the club level. Didn't watch the Bermuda, Ghana or Korea friendlies. I barely noticed him in this game, and the games against Mauritania and Morroco, although I was also trying to work and watch at the same time for all 3 friendlies. 

Yeah I would encourage you to watch this match a second time and look closely at what he does.

I agree that he's easy not to notice. He never created a lot. He never ran at defenders or played many passes that opened up Scotland (as Hoilett did).

All that is true and yet he was very valuable today. He had a lot of touches. He played quickly and kept the ball moving in the middle and attacking third. He showed for the ball, received it, and eluded pressure, which kept attacking moves alive.

This is one reason why we generated chances today. We have a problem with attacking moves dying in the final third, because we lack technical and creative players. No, Bustos did not create chances for the team per se, but his individual creativity allowed us to keep those attacking moves going, if you know what I mean.

4 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Debate it is, but maybe we all need to rewatch the game over. 

But based on what I saw, he does have a little flash when he's on the ball, which sometimes led to a back pass....but for me, it was where he was collecting the ball, how he ensured he kept it and then how he looked to make the 1-2 passes with the midfield to start the break. He did all that well, while rarely giving the ball away and that sticks out a lot for a 20yo. 

This is what I see as well and is basically what I am trying to communicate in my response @shermanator

Midfielders

What looked liked a grab bag of available players to start the game, instantly turned to hungry players wanting to show out against their Scottish heritage, and wanting to show they can compete. Fraser Aird, and Scott Arfield show put on a performance that probably had the SFA wondering what if (and if if they weren't it's still our gain). Fraser was up and down, confident on taking on players, and my gosh can he hit a shot with both feet. It's one thing to get your shot off, but its another for it to be on target or inches from the net. He definitely put Scotland's keeper on his feet whenever he saw Fraser coming in from the right side, and showed great composure and finish to score the opener. Watching a few Burnley games, and seeing Arfield's play today his quality and performance didn't change. He has quick decision making, and is able to play out of tight spaces. What maybe his first time playing with Piette, he showed great leadership and always made himself available to his CM partner. Piette played an invisible game, which isn't bad due to him not doing anything wrong or great., but he did play a safe, hard simplified game that resorted to keeping the ball a la finding Scotty early. Hoilett had made many good runs that I felt he should've let off a shot (like Aird), however when on the ball was dangerous in trying to create something for Canada. As the game wore on at times he looked a little lethargic, gassed or short of match fitness (don't know how) at the end, but it will be interesting to see when he has Larin to link up with. Charlie Trafford had no time to do anything.

MOTM: Fraser Aird

RM - Fraser Aird - 8.5

CM - Scott Arfield - 7.5 --> Charlie Trafford - N/A

CM - Samuel Piette - 6.5

LM - Junior Hoilett - 7

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

Fucking Piette!!! Cheap giveaway followed up by attempting a rabona clearance n his own 6 yard box!!! What a little prick. No reason that should have lead to a goal. He's been anonymous all game and every game for CMNT cept the penalty he conceded. Tme for us to move on . Maybe when he is 25 he will have grown up enough to warrants call up again!!!!!!

Do you feel the same way about Arfield, given that he's the player who actually made the plays in question?

22 minutes ago, shermanator said:

No guarantee they will but I've uploaded my recording here

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Jackson will give Zambrano something to think about. His work rate up top was fantastic and I think today showed that when surrounded with players who can play (hoilett, Bustos, aird, Arfield), he too elevates his own game in terms of also playing football. Ricketts brings a tremendous work rate too, but there is a cap on what he can do technically, whereas Jackson can raise his standard.

I think what they offer is minimally different in the sense that jackson has better feet than Ricketts, Ricketts is faster than Jackson. Both marginally better. To me they both should be late game subs, but what Ricketts has going for him over Jackson is that he is a proven scorer for Canada (being the top active scorer), and he gets picked on that merit. 

The thing is, if we get Cavallini back into the frame.....and we have Cyle, Lucas, and Tosaint....to me Jackson and Haber would be battling for a spot, and Haber offers something completely different. But Jacksons performance today will definitely give OZ something to think about.

A few thoughts 

Aird - obviously MOTM. We've always seen his willingness to run at defenders and take chances. If we're going with one striker up top(Larin) much prefer Aird (or Davies) on the wing than Tesho.

Bustos - I thought he was solid. Good at holding possession and countering. Is anyone else surprised at how little pace he seems to have though? He can't run anyway from anyone which is a shame given his skill (and lack of size). Almost scored fantastic curler reminiscent of his goal vs England last year in U21 win.

Arfielf - really love Scott but I thought this was his worse performance as a Canadian. Still solid but maybe pressure of this match got to him.

Archived