Whitecaps2 2017

TRM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds a lot more serious:

"... her son’s teammate told him they were going to “get him in training.”

A few hours later an incident took place in the change room at Burnaby 8 Rinks following a training session, she said.

“My son described it that the two boys were verbally abusing him, pushing him around,” she said.

“It then escalated to one of the boys pushing him on the ground, pinning him down.”

She then describes a graphic alleged sex assault. She said a handful of teammates tried to help her son.

“My son said he could hear some kids saying, ‘Stop, this isn’t right. Get off.’

“And as sickening as it is, he heard laughter from some boys and basically he was yelling himself and trying to get them off him.” "

Now back to soccer. Cap2 drop a 1-2 decision to Sacremento. Terran with the lone Caps2 goal (assist McKendry).

Kadin Chung (90), Dominick Zator (90), Ben McKendry (90), Thomas Gardner (76), Terran Campbell (62), David Norman Jr. (28), Gloire Amanda (14)

Today I went to see the Caps2 at UBC. Small crowd, but good atmosphere for the numbers. Pretty hot out there on that pitch, unwatered.

Caps kids are on avg way younger than this rival OKC Energy, and the ref was a mess of sorts, so our 2-2 tie was alright, we played the last part of the game with 10. We were not really dominated for long stretches, they play orderly enough, especially back.  I found McKendry was good, Bartman who I did not know, and De Wit, very solid. Chung goes forward well but the bigger experienced guys picked on his side---but still, with a couple teens, a modest bunch really, youth, we did damn well. Did not like Norman too much, slow on the ball and very little range, slow reacting but his corners were deadly and we scored off one. 

Not one of these guys could make a positive contribution to the first team, but if another centre back were injured, you could trust De Wit to handle things right.

Dropped the Canada Day game to Seattle 0-2. Like the first team they are getting hammered on possession (40-60) and that bothers me. I see little progress towards any change on either first or second team.

Kadin Chung (90), Thomas Gardner (90), David Norman Jr.(90), Matthew Baldisimo (62), Gloire Amanda (20)

Just started watching the replay of the July 8th game. 4 Canadian starters, Chung, Baldisimo, McKendry and Bustos. Basically every available foreign player on the roster is on the field.

Chung is starting as part of the front 3! has he done this before? I was hoping he would eventually get a call to the first team as a RB and maybe one day gives us an option for CanMNT.

18 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Just started watching the replay of the July 8th game. 4 Canadian starters, Chung, Baldisimo, McKendry and Bustos. Basically every available foreign player on the roster is on the field.

Chung is starting as part of the front 3! has he done this before? I was hoping he would eventually get a call to the first team as a RB and maybe one day gives us an option for CanMNT.

This whole generation of Canadian players on the Caps has not impressed so far. McKendry seems to have topped out at USL level. Chung was a very promising RB but is much less impressive at the other positions they have been slotting him into, and that reduces his value. Baldisimo and Gardner are undersized, not very fast and seem to disappear in games. Campbell is big and strong but not really fast enough to be a pure winger which is where they always play him. Norman has the size of a holding mid but not much more. Haven't seen much of Amanda lately. Hoping we get more out of the 2000s group which includes Hojabrpour, Jose Hernandez and Jake Ruby.

Gloire Amanda came on in the 84'.

Masta Kacher got his 5th goal of the season for the Switchbacks. Apparently leading the team. Too bad FC Montreal did not stick around with Kacher and Alessandro Riggi looking good in the couple of matches I saw him play with Phoenix Rising FC.

• 1 month later...

Haven't watched much WFC 2 this year, but am tuned in tonight. Not sure if this is a trend this year, but WFC 2 are dominating the run of play, yet can't finish their chances. Meanwhile Tulsa gets 1 good chance and is up 1-0. And for a few player notes:

- WFC 2's finishing has been poor or unlucky. Amanda received a chance from a great Campbell cross alone in front of goal, and skied it. Chung received a chance from a Campbell cross in front of goal and side footed the ball right to the keeper. Levis and Amanda had a great give and go in the penalty area which led to a Levis shot off the post. Michael Baldisimo had a good look at goal but chose to pass it off to Amanda who couldn't do anything with it. 

- Levis looks just as good as he did last year with WFC 2. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get more minutes with the first team later this year.

- Campbell has looked the best in attack up the left side. Confident on the ball. Crossing was good as well. He had a half chance at one point that went right at the keeper.

- Chung has looked decent in attack, but his work in the final third leaves much to be desired. I've rated him highly in the past when he played RB so it's surprising to see him at RW. Not bad, though.

- Bustos looks like an average USL player again. Largely anonymous, but once in a while makes a nice little attacking run in centre mid, and promptly gives the ball away. Did score a penalty though. His game actually reminds me of Boakai's circa 2015, where he tries to do everything and promptly achieves nothing, perhaps he is trying to do too much to impress. Guy needs to either get out of Vancouver, because he's starting to regress in my view. 

- Michael Baldisimo looks to be a good distributor of the ball in centre mid. Very impressive for a 17 year old. I would argue he's been much better than the aforementioned Bustos.

- Melvin hasn't had to do much other than pick the ball out of his net. Made a decent save on an attempted chip when he was out of position. 

- Norman Jr. appears to be a foul machine, but does have some decent set piece ability. Was mentioned on the broadcast that one more yellow card will mean he's suspended for yellow card accumulation

On 06/09/2017 at 9:05 PM, shermanator said:

- Bustos looks like an average USL player again.

- Norman Jr. appears to be a foul machine

I swear if he could learn to run like Techera does he'd be MLS level. I don't know if that is possible at this point. 

Norman Jr sounds like a good fit for my Hobema Hosers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

With Montreal already having dropped out, and Vancouver looking like they might as well, I wonder if Toronto will continue it's investment into TFC II long term or if they'll eventually jump ship eventually too. Based on the attendance these teams draw it's clearly not paying for itself in terms of direct revenue for the II franchises. I'm not aware of them selling players on yet either.

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

With Montreal already having dropped out, and Vancouver looking like they might as well, I wonder if Toronto will continue it's investment into TFC II long term or if they'll eventually jump ship eventually too. Based on the attendance these teams draw it's clearly not paying for itself in terms of direct revenue for the II franchises. I'm not aware of them selling players on yet either.

TFC II will move to BMO Field for 2018 and play after TFC MLS games.  If they hang on to 10% of the crowd it will be a big improvement on the hundreds of fans they draw now at Ontario Soccer Centre.  Their other home games (I'll assume when TFC aren't playing or are out of town) will be at Lamport Stadium (the other side of the railway tracks from BMO about three blocks away). 

Revenue might actually be lost because MLS season ticket holders will get into all TFC II home games for free. 

TFC II are 15th of 15 teams in the East right now and I don't know if they will continue with a generous Canadian roster of TFC Academy grads or stack the team with older American USL vets to improve their record.

It would be a shame to see less CDN teams as opposed to more.  Even if it is just a reserve/development team.  The move to playing more games after TFC might help, get more people staying and getting interested in TFC2, even if the box office is hurt in the short term.  

As far as the CDN content, I am glad, Hundal, Fraser, Johnson, Cavaluzzo, Telfer, Camgaro, Dunn-Johnson, Daniels etc have had a place to play this season, and hopefully move their career on.  Part time first teamers  CHapman, Hamilton, Edwards, Morgan and non-CDN Taintor, James, Aubrey, Alseth, Spencer, Endoh have all gotten important minutes to stay sharp and show whether they deserve more time with the big club.  If they do fold they will have to form some sort of partnership with another club to give some of these fringe guys minutes as opposed to them rotting on the bench or cutting them.  Where would Bono (or any other back up keeper) have gotten minutes to grow??  Would Edwards have gotten a chance if he hadn't lit up the USL?  I dont know the economics at all (losing tons of cash??), but as far as being useful to the club, they should keep it around.  

TFC never had a Battery affiliation, they were with Wilmington Hammerheads (RIP) which actually worked pretty well.

From the Canadian clubs' point-of-view, the USL teams are costing a lot of money (and hassle with the CSA rules) with not enough return to justify that investment. They can still loan out their best prospects to other USL teams and live with not getting rehab games for injured players returning. They won't be able to find diamonds-in-the-rough like Brett Levis or Spencer Richey, but that's what the CPL is for, right?

Archived