Whitecaps2 2017

TRM

Things won't stand still if the CPL thing doesn't happen, so would have thought this kind of move would be a no brainer from an economic standpoint if cities like that still have no pro team. Having a full roster with 20 or so players under contract at that sort of age is overkill when most of them are basically jersey fillers in terms of their chance of actually making it to MLS, so letting somebody else cover that overhead and getting them to take the ones with a legitimate shot makes sense.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two team for Vancouver wins  3-0 against Seattle. Amanda getting an assist and McKendry getting a goal. Played in Langley with attendance listed as 738. Kind of low but I haven't heard why.

Terran Campbell (45), Dominick Zator (68), David Norman Jr. (73), Gloire Amanda (90), Ben McKendry (90), Matthew Baldisimo (90)

1-0 win over Portland2.

Sean Melvin (90), Ben McKendry (90), David Norman Jr. (66), Terran Campbell (65), Matthew Baldisimo (45), Gloire Amanda (25)

Interesting on the game sheet it shows 2 callups from the academy: Patrick Metcalfe & Theo Bair. Neither got any playing time but they made the bench.

19 hours ago, TRM said:

1-0 win over Portland2.

Sean Melvin (90), Ben McKendry (90), David Norman Jr. (66), Terran Campbell (65), Matthew Baldisimo (45), Gloire Amanda (25)

Interesting on the game sheet it shows 2 callups from the academy: Patrick Metcalfe & Theo Bair. Neither got any playing time but they made the bench.

Melvin had a great game in a 0-1 win we probably did not deserve. They really attacked hard first half and he came up with some extraordinary stops, apart from having a lot of work, they had like a dozen corner kicks or so, and free kicks. Campbell was not really active since we were not in attack but when he had action he was good. We were mostly playing catch-up first half, then settled better and matched them more 2nd half. Late Sanner goal on a great counter and we took it. 

Is there any protocol for how USL games are supposed to be called on the streaming? The Caps callers are pretty good, balanced, they have a sense the audience goes beyond the Lower Mainland, and are balanced. Yesterday the T2 guys were very biased, and the colour commentator was the most mundane boring guy, think it was a former English pro but hey, that was 85% accent on top of mediocrity. Other day the Galaxy 2 commentators were also terribly slanted. Since there were like 700 watching, and probably nearly  half from Vancouver (if you are in Portland, you'd go if interested), why can't USL establish a set of broadcasting quality standards? 

At one point, after one Cap was carded for a hard foul, the guy says hey, he has a baby face, he's "a baby killer". I mean, for saying that you should be fired straight out. It was a hard foul, not a felony.

On 2017-04-22 at 6:52 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

2-1 loss to San Antonio at home with Bustos scoring. Only 450 fans.

Back out at UBC. Just signed midfielder Patrick Metcalfe from the academy.

Sean Melvin (90), Ben McKendry (90), Terran Campbell (90), Matthew Baldisimo (65), Marco Bustos (52), Gloire Amanda (38), Thomas Gardner (25)

On 4/22/2017 at 5:52 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

2-1 loss to San Antonio at home with Bustos scoring. Only 450 fans.

403 was the official attendance.

Not sure if splitting up the season between McLeod and T-bird stadiums is wise.If they draw better at Mcleod stadium maybe they will move there for next season but still too early to tell. I know the Langley opener had 738 only but they had poor weather that day as well.

0-0 draw against the Sacremento Republic. 400+ in attendance.

Matthew Baldismo (90), Dominick Zator (90), Terran Campbell (90), David Norman Jr (90), Gloire Amanda (87), Thomas Gardner (68), Chris Serban (8)

On 2017-04-29 at 10:44 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Caught the last fifteen or so minutes of this game. 'caps are very organized this year as opposed to the very mercurial play style of last year. David Norman Jr. looks like quite a good prospect in central midfield and the whole back five looks very solid.

Let's hope that Jr is a chip off the old block. Pity about the poor attendance so far this year. I was hoping for it to average around 1000 per game.

Comprehensive 3-1 loss to SPR in Missouri. It was 3-0 at half and McKendry put in a late penalty to make it respectable. Zator had a tough game replacing the injured Seiler and the midfield didn't look great either with Bustos hurt as well. Didic gave up the penalty for SPR, fouling Amanda.

Another 3-1 loss for WFC2, this time to Tulsa. Starts for Serban, Gardner, Matthew Baldisimo, Norman, Chung, Amanda. Michael Baldisimo subbed on.

Chung started on the right side of front three, instead of his usual outside back position, which I thought was rather strange. He is a very technical player and I can't understand why he hasn't gotten more time this season.

Gardner has great feet, but I don't know if he is athletic enough to succeed at the pro level. I would like to see him in a deep lying play maker role as opposed to the #10 position. I think that could suit his skill set better.

Baldisimo and Norman both showed moments of nice skill, but I want to see them involved in the game more.

Amanda scored his first pro goal. It started because of an awful Tulsa turnover, but it was well done nonetheless.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/post/2017/05/11/match-report-tul-vs-van

A good home win (3-1) over Colorado on mother's day. Bustos (pk), Amanda & Serban with the goals for Caps2.

Sean Melvin (90), Kadin Chung (90), Ben McKendry (90), Gloire Amanda (90), Chris Serban (85), Marco Bustos (71), Andy Thoma (29), Thomas Gardner (19), Matthew Baldisimo (5)

Another low turnout of 410 people to watch at UBC.

On 2017-5-12 at 11:34 AM, masster said:

Chung started on the right side of front three, instead of his usual outside back position, which I thought was rather strange. He is a very technical player and I can't understand why he hasn't gotten more time this season.

I'm curious as to why Chung hasn't played much this season, as well.

At the beginning of training camp last year, Robinson was very high on him, even implying he could sign a first team contract before the end of 2016. I thought he was one of the standouts of the 2016 season, and I don't recall seeing a negative review of him anywhere. Then out of nowhere, he seems like more of a squad rotation player, losing his RWB spot to Baldisimo.

Today, in a move I've never seen before, both he and Serban played along the right side, where they alternated at RW and RWB. Didn't notice him much on the offensive side of things, but thought he was his usual quality self at RWB (although perhaps a little rash in his challenges at times).

18 hours ago, TRM said:

A good home win (3-1) over Colorado on mother's day. Bustos (pk), Amanda & Serban with the goals for Caps2.

Sean Melvin (90), Kadin Chung (90), Ben McKendry (90), Gloire Amanda (90), Chris Serban (85), Marco Bustos (71), Andy Thoma (29), Thomas Gardner (19), Matthew Baldisimo (5)

Another low turnout of 410 people to watch at UBC.

It is hard to believe that WFC2 actually won this match. I wonder what the xG stats were on this game. I thought Colorado Springs were much better until Amanda scored the 2-0 goal, then the match shifted a bit.

Melvin faced lots of shots and made all of the saves he needed to. Thought his rebound control could have been a bit better. He has the body of a keeper, thats for sure. Hope he continues to develop.

The PK was bogus IMHO so the game was a lot closer. Melvin was MOTM easily. I loved Serban's goal. But yea Colorado really out played the Caps2. Shots 25-7 was a good indication of the play. The saving grace (aside from Melvin) was we had 6 of our 7 shots on net, they only had 8 of 25.

• 2 weeks later...

Caps2 lose 2-1 to Monarchs in front of 1100+ so at least that is a nice bounce back in attendance. The game was in Langley. Terran with the lone goal for Caps2.

Chris Serban (90), Terran Campbell (90), Dominick Zator (90), Thomas Gardner (90), Kadin Chung (73), Gloire Amanda (45), David Norman Jr. (45), Patrick Metcalfe (45), Nicolas Apostol (17),

1-0 win over Portland with a Bustos PK being the only score. Richey was outstanding in net to keep the clean sheet.

Kadin Chung (90), Ben McKendry (90), Marco Bustos (90), Thomas Gardner (90), Matthew Baldisimo (83), Terran Campbell (70), Chris Serban (20)

• 2 weeks later...

Bustos with another PK goal but not enough as Drogba scores and assists as Phoenix wins 2-1

Marco Bustos (90), Sean Melvin (90), Kadin Chung (90), Ben McKendry (90), Terran Campbell, (90)David Norman Jr. (74), Thomas Gardner (12), Gloire Amanda (4)

Archived