NASL Expansion for 2018

CDNFootballer

With NASL apparently ready to add 4 and maybe 5 clubs for 2018 (LA/OC, Atlanta, San Diego, Chicago, & Detroit) the two closest to announcement seem to be LA/OC and Atlanta.

Exclusive: Orange County Group Closes In On NASL Expansion

The Orange County bid would expand NASL’s presence into greater Los Angeles, the second largest metropolitan area in the country.  You can trace the roots of the OC group to an existing club, the L.A. Wolves of the United Premier Soccer League.  The Wolves, owned by UPSL commissioner Yan Skwara, made a strong U.S. Open Cup run last year, defeating the USL’s Orange County Blues in the tournament’s second round before falling to fellow UPSL club La Maquina in the third round.  La Maquina subsequently lost to the LA Galaxy in extra time of the fourth round, a testament to the quality in the UPSL.  L.A. Wolves Sporting Director Michael Collins will take on the same role with the Orange County NASL club, and Pete Capriotti, the top sponsor of the Wolves, is the lead investor behind the OC NASL effort.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/02/23/exclusive-orange-county-group-closes-in-on-nasl-expansion/

The Los Angelas Wolves name comes from the first LA NASL club that played in the league in 1968.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Wilt Talks San Diego, Chicago & More NASL Expansion

While the North American Soccer League contracted from 12 teams to 8 this past offseason, prospects for the league’s expansion have never looked better.  Two roadblocks to growth are out of the way, with Traffic Sports no longer involved in the league and Division II status provisionally retained after a period of uncertainty.  Serious expansion bids with the potential of joining for 2018 are afoot in Atlanta, Chicago, Orange County and two separate groups that want to bring NASL to San Diego (Albion SC is the other).  Groups in markets such as Detroit, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Baltimore, Hartford and New Orleans among others have reportedly demonstrated interest in joining the league.

Midfield Press was able to catch up with Peter Wilt to discuss several of the irons in the NASL expansion fire :

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/02/27/peter-wilt-talks-san-diego-chicago-more-nasl-expansion/

On February 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM, CDNFootballer said:

The Atlanta group put up its website yesterday :

http://atl2018.com/en/home

Announcement is scheduled for April according to the website. Play starting in 2018 in a 5100 seat stadium is planned with the club then moving to a new 15K stadium for 2019 that will be built in the Atlanta suburb of Dekalb county.

You see, this is the type of owner the NASL should be gunning for.

On February 27, 2017 at 7:24 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Peter Wilt Talks San Diego, Chicago & More NASL Expansion

While the North American Soccer League contracted from 12 teams to 8 this past offseason, prospects for the league’s expansion have never looked better.  Two roadblocks to growth are out of the way, with Traffic Sports no longer involved in the league and Division II status provisionally retained after a period of uncertainty.  Serious expansion bids with the potential of joining for 2018 are afoot in Atlanta, Chicago, Orange County and two separate groups that want to bring NASL to San Diego (Albion SC is the other).  Groups in markets such as Detroit, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Baltimore, Hartford and New Orleans among others have reportedly demonstrated interest in joining the league.

Midfield Press was able to catch up with Peter Wilt to discuss several of the irons in the NASL expansion fire :

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/02/27/peter-wilt-talks-san-diego-chicago-more-nasl-expansion/

After reading that, I think our CPL consortium should think real hard about possibly reigniting with the NASL. Maybe a possible merger down the road. Properly launching teams in markets with sound marketing and 15000 seat soccer specific stadiums is the way to go.

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

After reading that, I think our CPL consortium should think real hard about possibly reigniting with the NASL. Maybe a possible merger down the road. Properly launching teams in markets with sound marketing and 15000 seat soccer specific stadiums is the way to go.

I still hope that the nasl somehow gets sanctioned by say concacaf and creates 4 separate leagues of 10 teams in the us, canada, the Caribbean and central America. Massive pipe dream but i still think it would be cool.

Have them all interact. Make the soccer bowl a big ass event. Give each a ccl spot

30 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I think it would always be worth while to have communication with other leagues including MLS, USL and NASL. On the other hand NASL has had a very unstable history. I would put the odds at about 50-50 that they even exist in another 5 years unless they really change the way they do business.

Your right though sound marketing and right sized soccer specific stadiums is a key to success. 

6 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think it would always be worth while to have communication with other leagues including MLS, USL and NASL. On the other hand NASL has had a very unstable history. I would put the odds at about 50-50 that they even exist in another 5 years unless they really change the way they do business.

Your right though sound marketing and right sized soccer specific stadiums is a key to success. 

Judging by that interview it looks like they are. I think Atlanta NASL will signal a new generation of NASL clubs.

33 minutes ago, matty said:

I still hope that the nasl somehow gets sanctioned by say concacaf and creates 4 separate leagues of 10 teams in the us, canada, the Caribbean and central America. Massive pipe dream but i still think it would be cool.

Have them all interact. Make the soccer bowl a big ass event. Give each a ccl spot

That could be interesting. Central America would be tough.

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

I still like the idea of having our own league that the CSA and other Canadian forces can influence more than being in an American based league in NASL.  What I'd love to see would be meaningful matches between the CPL and the NASL.  What if, for example, the top 2-4 clubs (based on last year's standings) from each the CPL and NASL played a tournament against each other (like the US Open Cup or Voyageurs Cup) with the winner gaining a CONCACAF Champions League spot? 

CPL4 vs NASL 1, CPL 3 vs NASL 2, CPL 2 vs NASL 3, CPL 1 vs NASL4 home and home series and do a bracket?  I'd love to see that happen.

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

That could be interesting. Central America would be tough.

I think if the money was there the big clubs might jump to it. It really could off a chance to make the nations outside of the US and Mexico strong.

A merged Central American league with Saprissa, Herediano, Alajuelense, Olimpia, Tauro and Arabe Unido could make bank and would possibly give them the ability to compete with MLS and Liga MX. Maybe a minor Liga MX side like Chiapas or Queretaro would join in to escape being minor. A Central American version of the Atlantic League.

A Caribbean league just makes to much sense not to be done (CFU would kill it me thinks).

US would stay how it is at D2 in the US but use San Fran, Miami, Indianapolis and Raleigh as anchors and maybe looks to El Paso or the Mid-West to build in thanks to its CONCACAF standing giving it an edge on the USL.

Canada would get a league and FC Edmonton would get the Calgary rival it needs.

The four leagues combined top 8 make up the Soccer Bowl.

4 hours ago, Alex D said:

What about clubs from Mexico? Liga MX is a pretty closed off system. There may be some 2nd division clubs looking to break free. 

Didn't See this I see

On 14/03/2017 at 5:28 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Calgary related rumour recently has been USL as the Whitecaps affiliate.

Let's take this with a grain of salt because his only source is a single unconfirmed tweet from a few months ago. It fits his world view so he has latched onto it like a hungry dog. 

Next he will inevitably tell you that the Flames ownership was only interested in the CPL when it was a joint venture with the NASL. His source on this one is himself. 

So Steadman, be patient and keep checking the CPL threads. If the rumours are true you will have a team in the CPL with great ownership. 

NASL, USL, MLS & CanPL Expansion News & Rumors Tracker – March 2017 Edition

NASL expansions bids in Orange County, San Diego and Atlanta grew into greater focus.  Orange County NASL Sporting Director Michael Collins along with Peter Wilt shared details on their efforts with Midfield Press, and Wilt also shed some light on progress with San Diego, Chicago and other markets.  The scope of Atlanta Soccer City, the project spearheaded by the group looking to bring NASL and NWSL to the eastern Atlanta metro area, was fully revealed.  The massive $200M sports complex, which would include two stadiums, 22 soccer and football fields, seven baseball diamonds, five basketball courts and a 204,000 square foot indoor facility, would be built on 200 acres of land near the Stonecrest Mall in southeastern DeKalb County.  The site is about a 30 minute drive from Atlanta United FC’s future home of Mercedes-Benz Stadium under normal conditions, but Atlanta is notorious for its traffic.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/03/15/nasl-usl-mls-canpl-expansion-news-rumors-tracker-march-2017-edition/

• 1 month later...

I think it might be a challenge for the league to survive this season. I honestly don't see the purpose of the USL and NASL co-existing. Especially with the current geography on the NASL map. I cant see any of the clubs besides maybe Indy being in a position to make money. I even suspect in the current format Indy would be lucky to break even. I think any franchise looking to join the NASL instead of USL in the current format has to be questioned.

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think it might be a challenge for the league to survive this season. I honestly don't see the purpose of the USL and NASL co-existing. Especially with the current geography on the NASL map. I cant see any of the clubs besides maybe Indy being in a position to make money. I even suspect in the current format Indy would be lucky to break even. I think any franchise looking to join the NASL instead of USL in the current format has to be questioned.

Most USL and NASL teams dont make money. The two D2 league's serve their purpose with USL the minor league of MLS with its mix of reserve, affiliate, and independent teams and NASL the independent pro league that the owners own a share of and have more freedom in their operations. Ownership groups are attracted to each league depending on what they want in a club and their aspirations. USL is a privately owned franchise league with more restrictions on its teams and thats not what some ownership groups want.

NASL with its addition of Orange County and the coming announcement of a San Diego NASL club for 2018 expected to be announced in the next few weeks will be at 10 active teams then so only 2 short of the 12 needed for 2018. Its likely NASL and USL are co D2 for the next few years at least and I like both league's different models and follow both. Would be boring to have just the MLS and USL development league's without the Independent NASL and NPSL IMHO.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I disagree with your pessimism. The league somehow survived the last off season which seemed miraculous. If they could do that, I think they will move forward.

Indy is indeed the strongest. NCFC is pushing for MLS, so they aren't going to disappear. There is big money behind Miami and their attendance is pretty good. The Cosmos just got a new owner and he doesn't seem like a guy to throw in the towel. Carmelo Anthony is funding Puerto Rico almost as a public service. It is only San Francisco's first season, and they seem to be building a strong squad. The Faths seem pretty stubborn to me and attendances  for FC Edmonton have been improving this season. So Jacksonville is the only weak sister team without an owner.

On 5/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, masster said:

I disagree with your pessimism. The league somehow survived the last off season which seemed miraculous. If they could do that, I think they will move forward.

Indy is indeed the strongest. NCFC is pushing for MLS, so they aren't going to disappear. There is big money behind Miami and their attendance is pretty good. The Cosmos just got a new owner and he doesn't seem like a guy to throw in the towel. Carmelo Anthony is funding Puerto Rico almost as a public service. It is only San Francisco's first season, and they seem to be building a strong squad. The Faths seem pretty stubborn to me and attendances  for FC Edmonton have been improving this season. So Jacksonville is the only weak sister team without an owner.

Having OC on board and San Diego soon to be added will really help the SF Deltas also. A 3 team west coast hub for the NASL in 2018 will help Edmonton too.

On 2/23/2017 at 6:03 PM, CDNFootballer said:

With NASL apparently ready to add 4 and maybe 5 clubs for 2018 (LA/OC, Atlanta, San Diego, Chicago, & Detroit) the two closest to announcement seem to be LA/OC and Atlanta.

Exclusive: Orange County Group Closes In On NASL Expansion

The Orange County bid would expand NASL’s presence into greater Los Angeles, the second largest metropolitan area in the country.  You can trace the roots of the OC group to an existing club, the L.A. Wolves of the United Premier Soccer League.  The Wolves, owned by UPSL commissioner Yan Skwara, made a strong U.S. Open Cup run last year, defeating the USL’s Orange County Blues in the tournament’s second round before falling to fellow UPSL club La Maquina in the third round.  La Maquina subsequently lost to the LA Galaxy in extra time of the fourth round, a testament to the quality in the UPSL.  L.A. Wolves Sporting Director Michael Collins will take on the same role with the Orange County NASL club, and Pete Capriotti, the top sponsor of the Wolves, is the lead investor behind the OC NASL effort.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/02/23/exclusive-orange-county-group-closes-in-on-nasl-expansion/

The Los Angelas Wolves name comes from the first LA NASL club that played in the league in 1968.

If they were smart they would switch the nickname from Wolves to Coyotes.

Apparently suburban LA is full of them.

Archived