Canada vs. Mexico U20 WCQ Feb 20 2017(R)

Gian-Luca

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a night to sleep on last nights game and some thoughts, if you go to the Concacaf site they have player ratings and game stats for both games very interesting as this will lead into last nights game.
Tactics and who started and who came in seemed all wrong this is not a shot at the players as I believe that they all put in the best that they can but who started and the subs and what they where asked to try and do was set up for failure. How he bench Zanatta who had a 92 % pass accuracy and the highest outfield player ranking by concacaf from the first game, who can hold the ball and link the game to started a forward who had a 0 % pass accuracy against Mexico is weird. This is just one example of coaches selection for the Mexico game that is hard to understand. Mexico had very good wingers why did we leave our fullbacks exposed and not help them with a second person to double them, first three goals came from crosses and they had a couple other great cross early in the game, our tactics of sitting low and narrow played into Mexico's strength with their two wingers
We play a decent first half against Honduras and look like the better team for the majority of the half, but with the changes, wrong ones and lack of being able to adapt tactically we do not get the result, move on to Mexico set up all wrong player selection incorrect and the result is not good sorry to say but this has to land on the staff.

11 hours ago, masster said:

Sorry. That isn't being robbed. That is common practice. Can't take coins to the stadium.

Hmm, I haven't had that happen to me? Either way, this sounds incredibly rude and inconsiderate.You do know that you are talking to a Voyageur who made the journey all the way to Costa Rica while you keyboard warrior it up?

4 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Hmm, I haven't had that happen to me? Either way, this sounds incredibly rude and inconsiderate.You do know that you are talking to a Voyageur who made the journey all the way to Costa Rica while you keyboard warrior it up?

I have never had my coins confiscated at a soccer game, but my experience is limited to MLS and international matches.

Sounds sketchy.

7 hours ago, Floortom said:

Being with U18 sides at top clubs like Liverpool and OL (not so much Cottbus) doesn't mean as much as most people think. Those guys are young to play effectively in U20 matches like these. Also, who is at Chelsea?? If you're referring to Tomori well he's not even here. That's probably the biggest problem with this squad - we don't have our 3 best players in this age group (Tomori, Tabla and Davies). The lack of quality is extremely noticeable so not sure how Gale gets so much blame 

Because are you going to tell me that Honduras had more quality? Look at this squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_under-20_football_team

Also, Gale's U20 record speaks for itself at the U20 Championship level (1-6). I do believe he is a good coach, but it's really hard right now to have him learn on the job.

41 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Because are you going to tell me that Honduras had more quality? Look at this squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_under-20_football_team

Also, Gale's U20 record speaks for itself at the U20 Championship level (1-6). I do believe he is a good coach, but it's really hard right now to have him learn on the job.

I wouldn't judge them based on their clubs.. most players around the world start off domestically.  The guys who have beat us out of the last 4 WCQ have all started at these clubs.  

14 hours ago, spitfire said:

Lastly we were robbed tonight and I mean literally. Upon trying to enter the stadium the security frisked us and then told us that we could not take any coins into the stadium and we had to give them all our money or we couldn't come in...it was a real shake down...I am seriously disgusted by what happened...

12 hours ago, masster said:

Sorry. That isn't being robbed. That is common practice. Can't take coins to the stadium.

59 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

In some countries fans will throw coins at opposing players and in those countries bringing coins to the stadium is prohibited. I am not sure if that is the standard procedure in Costa Rica but if it is then the security were just carrying out stadium regulations. I don't see anything rude or keyboard warrior like about masster's response, he is just stating what occurs in many countries and is not insulting spitfire. The response from welltoldtales is rather rude and insulting. 

I have been to hundreds of pro games all over the world including central America and have never had this happen before. This was the third game I attended that week in costa rica and this was the first time it happened.

Sorry and btw I was at the game with my wife who wasn't very comfortable with being harassed like that!!!

It felt like a scam as the Mexican fans were not required to give up their coins... witnessed directly by myself and a few other parents.... I gave half my coins to a young boy on a bike instead of into their make shift plastic milk bottle collection jar... and that really pissed off the security...just to clarify...and I did feel the response from Maaster was a little harsh and condescending.

But maybe i'm just too sensitive  ;)

7 hours ago, 1996 said:

So why did we go with so few 97's. where Mexico seems to have more age appropriate 97 players in their roster?

You all were trying to rip my Head off when i suggested that Canada should take only 1997 age group players as they are better than the best of the 1998 and 1999 group players. 

well the shit has hit the fan boys and its all over our face. I also suggested several players whom i know are the best at what they do. i suggested a right Back, a center Back to join players like KT, ucello,. as they know how these players style of play are. 

Suggested to use OYSL players as they are already primed for these type of tournament as the 1997 boys OYSL competition was fast and furiuos and these boys not only learned from it, they were the best at stopping there opponents and counter attack.

Also gents remember that our MLS Pro academy ( TFC, wcfc, imp fc) forced the Coach`s hand and stated that there players were better. As you can see they were wrong.  

The 2001 team had a number of underage players who played key roles: Pozniak, Gerba, Canizalez (1982) and Hutch and Hume (1983). The 2005 team had De Jong and Hainault (1986) as well as Edgar, Peters, Johnson and Lombardo (1987).

Failure has less to do with age and more to do with numerous other factors - like missing most of our midfield and GK's 1-4.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

98's and 99's aren't old enough to write their baller certification exam.

Hey for you it`s a joke,

for all the 1997 boys whom worked hard to try and impress the Technical Directors and Coach`s of Canada Soccer and were over looked for these younger players under the premise that they are much better soccer players, were proven wrong, Now the 1997 boys biggest opportunity is totally over. i`m psst off , the best players were not sent to represent Canada,

Twardek was garbage in the first game but they let him go the 90. Not playing him in the second game was confirmation that the staff only realised it after. His and Borges' performance is a sign to stop calling players just because they are in europe.

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Twardek was garbage in the first game but they let him go the 90. Not playing him in the second game was confirmation that the staff only realised it after. His and Borges' performance is a sign to stop calling players just because they are in europe.

Twardek tried to take on a play maker role and attract opponents to him to open up spaces where the younger CDN players were stuck hiding behind our opponents afraid of been beaten. 

Twardek needed players like Gutierrez on to be the play maker. uccelo needed to be more attacking less defensive.

Seen these players for years and know there playing style. Needed  striker like Dayonn to pull away defenders out of zone so ucello can have a shot a goal. Needed a right back like Rachaun to attack the right side, Center Back like Andrew to also attack and take up a slight defensive mid zone area. 

Eventually you will get to see these players as i`m sure they will elevate to the Men`s national Program and you will see what i describe of their capabilities.

By the way did you see what style of game Mexico played,! ?

There were plenty of situations where players around made the right runs or were open but he kept it too long, made a bad pass or tried to go alone. He was awful and that's that. Blame goes to coaches also for putting such a slow player when we were playing a fast paced game.

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

There were plenty of situations where players around made the right runs or were open but he kept it too long, made a bad pass or tried to go alone. He was awful and that's that. Blame goes to coaches also for putting such a slow player when we were playing a fast paced game.

Hey your perception is incorrect, unless they messed with his speed, Twardek should be top 4 fastest player on the team presently. Has good enough skills for an attacking mid. the most skillful player is Gutierrez. 

6 minutes ago, zaltan said:

We can talk about players but the real issue is who is leading the group and the choices that they have made.

A Coach can only make 3 substitution and cannot change the entire team once play starts. He then placed all trust in the players ability to carry out  the game plan and execute properly. 

A Coach relies on the player to then adjust to or over turn opponent momentum, if player is unable to the Coach uses his sub. 

this applies to all area of concerns, now if there are more than three areas of concerns then you have got a problem, in this case the right back, left Back, striker, defensive mid`s were all a concern. 

The Coach had to select the team he selected to please TFC, WCFC and impact coached players. He also had to match selection of players to Academy`s similar to our MLS pro clubs. 

Its all on the players to complete that game to reach target of winning. 

That`s my view

5 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Sorry. Not trying to be rude. This happened to me when I was in Macedonia watching a Canadian national team match. The local I was with told me this is common practice there. I don't take coins to matches anymore. I was just trying to pass along this information. We may be used to how things work in our parts of the world. That isn't the case everywhere. That is not robbery.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Sorry. Not trying to be rude. This happened to me when I was in Macedonia watching a Canadian national team match. The local I was with told me this is common practice there. I don't take coins to matches anymore. I was just trying to pass along this information. We may be used to how things work in our parts of the world. That isn't the case everywhere. That is not robbery.

Well we don't know that it wasn't robbery. It is all about intention. If the intention in Macedonia was safety, that doesn't automatically mean those in Costa Rica had the same intention.

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well we don't know that it wasn't robbery. It is all about intention. If the intention in Macedonia was safety, that doesn't automatically mean those in Costa Rica had the same intention.

Edit: Never mind. Let it be a Voyageur's lesson. Don't take coins to games unless you are willing to lose them.

On 21/02/2017 at 3:03 AM, masster said:

Honest question, where is this common practice? That particular stadium? All of Costa Rica? All of Central America? Does Mexico do that?

I just want to have a sense in case I ever find myself going to a game in unfamiliar territory.

Archived