Canada vs. Mexico U20 WCQ Feb 20 2017(R)

Gian-Luca

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

and we were almost naked to begin with!

Diego looks like his mind sees plays his feet can't quite execute quickly enough. His first touch is poor - I can see why the Chile U-20 cut him.

To be fair it did seem the nerves got to him the first few minutes but his technical ability is usually quite good having seen him play with Palestino.

1 minute ago, An Observer said:

Actually, 20 years ago we were closer.  If you think of the DeRosario side from 1997 that qualified for Malaysia, we were close to Mexico and US.  The gap is much larger now and has been the last few cycles.  And the rest of the federation is getting better.  We may be inching forward but everyone else is progressing much faster.

I personally think that perversely this may be MLS academy related.  While that is created much greater depth of players, the stars previously had to go to Europe to get training and developed much better in a tougher environment.  Of course, we had defections and we certainly lacked depth but the players that were there were much better.  Anyway, its a theory.  10 years after the start of Toronto MLS, I would have thought our youth would be much better than they are.

This is a view also held by US youth team followers as they have also faltered in recent years.

MLS academy playing style is drone like, players have brutal first touches, quality coaching isn't widely evident and as you mentioned, players face little hardship. 

Just now, red card said:

This is a view also held by US youth team followers as they have also faltered in recent years.

MLS academy playing style is drone like, players have brutal first touches, quality coaching isn't widely evident and as you mentioned, players face little hardship. 

I would tend to agree with all players training not necessarily just the academies.  Seems like players are stripped of all creativity.  I am all for playing a system but let them be creative.  Otherwise you get a team of robots.

Just now, Soccerpro said:

Oh great, our new RB from Lyon is now arguing with his teammates after goal #3. 

I hope he comes back in the future!

I was excited to see him but he hasn't really shown much tonight.  Still he's very young for this cycle, just like many of our players.  

What a drop off in talent we've had in the past 10 years.  In 2007 we had players who had played and scored in the EPL, Championship, Eredivise and MLS.  Now? We don't have one player with an MLS match in this team!  It's crazy.  

I think the last two cycles we underachieved with the players we had but in this cycle we really look raw.  

39 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

USL is the new first team!

In all seriousness, I don't see how we'll have first team starters next tournament. That would take a monumental shift in MLS culture and our player development.

Davies will 100% be a starter in the MLS. Tabla as well (assuming he commits). Liam Miller won't be starting for Liverpool anytime soon, but he will likely also be playing at a high level. It is also probably very optimistic, but Toronto seems to have a lot of promising prospects (Hundall and Campbell are both eligible in 2 years). There may be a fringe starter on TFC then as well.  

Worth noting that not one player from the 2015 squad is in this tournament. Everyone previously mentioned as well as Hasal can come back in 2019.

Just now, Keegan said:

I was excited to see him but he hasn't really shown much tonight.  Still he's very young for this cycle, just like many of our players.  

What a drop off in talent we've had in the past 10 years.  In 2007 we had players who had played and scored in the EPL, Championship, Eredivise and MLS.  Now? We don't have one player with an MLS match in this team!  It's crazy.  

I think the last two cycles we underachieved with the players we had but in this cycle we really look raw.  

Many supporters don't realize that even if Canada is somehow improving, other Concacaf countries are getting better at a much faster rate.

10 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Many supporters don't realize that even if Canada is somehow improving, other Concacaf countries are getting better at a much faster rate.

That's the problem though, it's not that our rivals are improving it's that we aren't improving.  I don't think our main rivals outside of Mexico and the USA have really improved all that much but I can say for sure that we have regressed at the U20 level.

It seems that the introduction of MLS academies really helped our U17 from 2011 to now while the U20 team has suffered.  I don't know what to blame it on particularly, this team has players that have come through the academies in Canada and abroad.. I think it's just that the 97/98 players aren't that special.  Borges reminds me a lot of Aleman in 2013.. coming off a U17 tournament where they were good players but then they step up to this level and the old tricks don't work anymore.  

I think a bunch of these players can go on to have great careers and maybe we look back and wonder just how they struggled so bad but the answer for me is that these guys are raw and inexperienced with no game changers. 

I can't remember ever seeing a Canadian team run over this bad at the youth level.  5-0 now... 

Just now, Soccerpro said:

Our players attempt 1-2s, have space in front of them, but as are so slow that the Mexican players catch up before the Canadians can receive the ball and intercept.

Goodness.

I am lost for words....

not at your comment. At the "performance".

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am lost for words....

not at your comment. At the "performance".

The worst part is that the CSA is all about youth team training camps and increased budgets for tourney prep. We didn't have that in the past.

Gale has had far more resources than his predecessors and done just as bad.

i don't expect that will be brought up in any Gavin Day interviews, though.

Archived