Canada vs. Mexico U20 WCQ Feb 20 2017(R)

Gian-Luca

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Diego looks like his mind sees plays his feet can't quite execute quickly enough. His first touch is poor - I can see why the Chile U-20 cut him.

Well there's a reason he's playing for us and not Chile.

to be fair, no one else in red is doing better

Borges is a turnover machine. 

Our captain, the Impact CB, received the ball from Hassal on a goal kick, panicked when he was getting closed down and passed to a Mexican attacker. Very low soccer IQ.

Our wingbacks are our bright spot. 

Canadian midfielders love to pass the ball and then run into a supporting position for a back pass rather than making an overlapping run or an attacking run. They've been conditioned to always play it so safe. Hard to ever score 2 v 5.

Just now, shermanator said:

2 goals in 4 minutes and that's the tournament. Disappointing, but given the weakness of the squad, it was inevitable. Maybe next squad we'll have some actual players playing on a first team come to the tournament.

USL is the new first team!

In all seriousness, I don't see how we'll have first team starters next tournament. That would take a monumental shift in MLS culture and our player development.

1 minute ago, Soccerpro said:

Borges is a turnover machine. 

Our captain, the Impact CB, received the ball from Hassal on a goal kick, panicked when he was getting closed down and passed to a Mexican attacker. Very low soccer IQ.

Our wingbacks are our bright spot. 

Canadian midfielders love to pass the ball and then run into a supporting position for a back pass rather than making an overlapping run or an attacking run. They've been conditioned to always play it so safe. Hard to ever score 2 v 5.

Yah, Borges loses the ball a lot. In fairness it looks like he's the only guy who can run with the ball and make the most basic pass going forward. Perhaps he would look better with a bit of quality beside him.

agreed on captain TMG. Last two matches are the first I've seen of him and can't say it's been impressive 

Take Borges off and put another striker up front to actually bother the Mexican team. Fraser and Uccello can handle the distribution which will still be long ball. It doesn't matter if they lose 2-0 or 6-0, they need to go out and get goals and I'd rather they try rather than to continue to play defensively like they did even after two goals.

4 minutes ago, 1996 said:

The difference in tactical awareness and even skill level is incredible, and I could have said this same thing like 20 years ago, nothing has changed its so sad to see.

Actually, 20 years ago we were closer.  If you think of the DeRosario side from 1997 that qualified for Malaysia, we were close to Mexico and US.  The gap is much larger now and has been the last few cycles.  And the rest of the federation is getting better.  We may be inching forward but everyone else is progressing much faster.

I personally think that perversely this may be MLS academy related.  While that is created much greater depth of players, the stars previously had to go to Europe to get training and developed much better in a tougher environment.  Of course, we had defections and we certainly lacked depth but the players that were there were much better.  Anyway, its a theory.  10 years after the start of Toronto MLS, I would have thought our youth would be much better than they are.

Archived