2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I watched a fair bit of their two leg matchup with Houston.  Yes, there was an early red card to Houston in the first leg that that was a huge turning point, but overall it was more that Houston were a not a good side.  Had the Whitecaps gotten their tactics right in the first leg versus Seattle They might have advanced and it would have been an all Canadian final.

Though summer signing Victor Rodriguez had been a key factor in their second half of season run, his end of season injury opened the door for the young Tolo to bomb up and down the flanks with Jones acting as his midfield minder.  It seemed like a combo that could have caused TFC some problems down that side with Tolo's direct running (ask Nerwinski ;)) but as it was the Spaniard reclaimed his starting place but left no positive impression on the match.  Just like none of his attacking mates.  As noted above, Bradley dominated defensively.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017/10/04 at 12:39 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love it that TFC fans are talking about the Champions League when they are uneven in league the last few games, best thing that could happen for the rest of us is for you guys to be focussed on next February. 

I personally think that the Caps will beat Chicago Fire in the final, to be held in BC Place.

Didn't think at the time that there was any danger of the people directly involved losing focus like that. Given Canadian MLS teams usually take the Champions League seriously unlike some of the American ones we can now start looking forward to  seeing what this team can do outside MLS. A game at BMO Field in February sould be interesting from a weather standpoint:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_Champions_League

All the Mexican teams being in Pot 1 helps where the Round of 16 is concerned.

TFC’s Marky Delgado an American born and raised in California was singing the Canadian national anthem at the beginning of the game during the anthems, that was nice to see , maybe he is telling us something lol, but nice to see that.

Just seen some footage on the MLS website of Chad Marshall screaming "What the fuck was that?" at his teammates on the field post-match - Dax McCarty saying that is completely out of character for him. But it really stands out that Seattle (other than Frei) were very poor on the night and I don't think it can all be because Jones was moved to left back as the pundits seem to be focusing on. Yes, that was a factor given how weak he looked defensively back there but I think there may be a lot to what Vanney said about the lack of intensity and I'm wondering even if the weather played a part. I was much closer to the field than normal and it looked like TFC out-muscled and out-competed Seattle for just about every ball. Lodeiro was invisible and on the night you'd think Osorio (who went up against him and completely outplayed him) was more worthy of being a designated player than him (I might say the same about Delgado but his passing was largely awful on the night although he had a few good takeaways and one good strike on goal at least). The fact that Beitashour was suddenly going round players left and right (something he hadn't been able to do the whole season or playoffs) tell me Seattle just weren't in it mentally or physicallyand really, this would have been a blow-out if Frei had been injured for this match rather than earlier on in the playoffs.

I was predicting TFC would go 4-4-2 so I don't know why the MLS website panel of experts (including McCarty & Ike Opara) were so shocked that they went that way. I thought it was obvious that the 3-5-2 wasn't clicking like it had, particularly with Morrow & Beitashour on the wings. Although they probably were more effective on the wings in this game as when TFC played the diamond those two still went high up the field and Delgado and Osorio moved into the middle with Bradley dropping in front of (or even part of) the back line which gave them dominance in a lot of areas.

Let's not forget, in the lead-up to this game most of the experts (that I saw) were picking Seattle to win and calling them the favourites as they had all the momentum and were defending champs and supposedly had a much more improved team. As it was, Seattle are still looking for their first scoring chance-strike on goal in the MLS Cup, even though they already at least one Cup to their name.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Totally deserved from start to finish. Congrats to TFC fans. 

To think Seattle was holders not scoring in 210 minutes. ..disgraceful. 

They barely had a decent chance until the very end. And last year they never got a single chance, so TFC should be proud of their effort BOTH years.

Late to the posting party but a huge congratulations to the TFC staff and fans. You have shown passion, class and ambition. More importantly now backing up that ambition. 

Let's keep that trophy coming up north so we can make a mockery of their biased U.S. team only champions league spot rule.   

Should be two Canadian teams in after this. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I was predicting TFC would go 4-4-2 so I don't know why the MLS website panel of experts (including McCarty & Ike Opara) were so shocked that they went that way. I thought it was obvious that the 3-5-2 wasn't clicking like it had, particularly with Morrow & Beitashour on the wings. Although they probably were more effective on the wings in this game as when TFC played the diamond those two still went high up the field and Delgado and Osorio moved into the middle with Bradley dropping in front of (or even part of) the back line which gave them dominance in a lot of areas.

The work rate and positioning provided by Osorio and Delgado on the sides of the midfield supported the fullbacks better and helped nullify the flank threat from Seattle.  When they operated out of the five man midfield, they looked exposed for counterattacks on the flanks, with Santos in the first half of the second leg vs the Crew looking particularly sinister with his service.  But Rodriguez, Jones, Leerdam were non factors for the match when faced with the tactical set up and work rate of TFC.

Also, the other two road playoff opponents (Energy Drinks and the Crew) were far stouter and much more committed than this opponent showed.  I think you are better prepared mentally when you faced that kind of opposition coming into a game, even with a significant time layoff.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

TFC’s Marky Delgado an American born and raised in California was singing the Canadian national anthem at the beginning of the game during the anthems, that was nice to see , maybe he is telling us something lol, but nice to see that.

If he were to become eligible to play for us, I wonder how quickly his shortcomings would be glossed over by some of his detractors?  As noted, his passing was poor last night but his defensive work was top notch as he contributed to that midfield shutdown.

Congratulations, Toronto!  First professional soccer trophy in 41 years, I think.

A well-deserved Image result for star on the jersey for 2018.  MLSE finally rewarded on the sporting field after investing in a soccer franchise.

Hope this will further interest sports fans in soccer.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

If he were to become eligible to play for us, I wonder how quickly his shortcomings would be glossed over by some of his detractors?  As noted, his passing was poor last night but his defensive work was top notch as he contributed to that midfield shutdown.

He could never be eligible for us but nice to see him belt out the anthem.

According to the Opta stats the worst player on the field for either team by quite a margin was...............Justin Morrow?!!?! 

Negative 147 points on the night which mystifies me (not sure how any TFC player got negative points on a night like that) let alone more than any Seattle player. They announced Giovinco as the top Opta point earner for the league for the season (and he was again last night by a fair margin) but stats like the Morrow one do make one want to toss the stats out the window

2 hours ago, behrouz said:

I am wondering if anyone knows where to see the recorded MLS cup full game.   

Hey Behrouz.  If you have cable. Go to channel 100,  from the menu, select “Sports”, then “TSN”, then “MLS on TSN”.... ..... just follow the prompts.  It available for free. 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Nice to see TFC honoured at the leafs game tonight. Fans even started a TFC chant. This is the most mainstream attention i have ever seen given to soccer in Canada. I am only 21... but still. I am loving the attention on soccer. Hopefully it really helps our cause.

It will help the cause of the National team, if only because winning championships will get more kids excited about playing professional football in the GTA--and elsewhere in the country. I mean, we need a lot of others things in place, too, but you get my drift.

Congratulations to TFC and their fans! That was a well-deserved Cup win. Total dominance and some wonderful football throughout the game. A lot of great performances from TFC, but was especially proud of the game Osorio played. By far the best game I've ever seen him play. Vanney clearly told his squad to go after Seattle from the first whistle, and they did not let down for a second.  Relentless for 94 minutes! I don't think Seattle was lethargic; they were totally outclassed and out worked, especially the latter. The TFC approach is akin to how top UFC fighters approach their battles: come out immediately at hit your opponent hard, so hard that their brain reels from the pain and shock and remains on the back foot for much of the fight.  TFC grabbed the edge and held it for the entire game. And this is how they played all season. I've been a TFC fan since the beginning, and I am proud to see this team finally--over the last three years--start to show some real quality and, now, win the bloody cup. Glad that the Cup comes to Canada. Next year's final: Caps and TFC!

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to the Opta stats the worst player on the field for either team by quite a margin was...............Justin Morrow?!!?! 

Negative 147 points on the night which mystifies me (not sure how any TFC player got negative points on a night like that) let alone more than any Seattle player. They announced Giovinco as the top Opta point earner for the league for the season (and he was again last night by a fair margin) but stats like the Morrow one do make one want to toss the stats out the window

I dont know if this is the case with Opta or not, but the problem with game by game players rating in general is that they cant ever factor in degree of difficulty in plays.  So if you turn the ball over making a difficult or more risky play, you get penalized.  I hate that!   Do we really want reward players who do nothing but safe plays?  Is that the kind of players we want? 

i have this lasting recollection of post here way back during an CMNT game where somebody, who was posting player ratings, said something to the effect of: “I downgraded Osorio because of a turnover he made early in the second half”.     One is skilled and becomes skilled when you make difficult or riskier plays.  Or because you can make those plays.  And they are regarded as high quality because they fail more often than not.  

If we want those kind of players who never turns the ball or hoofs it down field instaed of making that extra touch, then we will never be good.  Thats second division soccer, the guys who dont have the elite talent, so they have to stick aound by not standing out in a negative way because they know that they cant stand out in a positive ways.  Giovinco misses a lot of chances.  But he can score a ton also. 

Of course, there is a fine line to everything, i am not suggesting applauding a turn over machine.  And i am all for calling out errors that derived from the lacking in fundamentals or lacking in effort.  But I still think the eye test is the best indicator over any kind of player rating.

54 minutes ago, matty said:

Nice

If I lived in Seattle and watching the championship game was my first exposure to soccer, that performance by Seattle would not win me over.  TFC utterly dominated.  Was Dempsey even on the field?

MVP should have been Bradley or Vasquez.  I have never been fully sold on Bradley, as DP wages for a defensive mid who makes the occasional A+ through pass seemed a bit much.  He earned every penny in that game.  I don't think I saw him miss any tackles and he was every where on that field.  It was like he decided that Seattle was not going to score that night and then went about and did it.

Rest of the top ten US cities ratings after Seattle  is interesting - wasn't expecting Louisville to be 2nd:

• Louisville (3.2)
  • Columbus (1.7)
  • Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News (1.1)
  • Raleigh-Durham (1.1)
  • Atlanta (1.0)
  • Indianapolis (1.0)
  • Portland (1.0)
  • Austin (0.9)
  • Birmingham (0.9)
  • Memphis (0.9)
  • Philadelphia (0.9)

Archived