Jump to content
shermanator

2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

Recommended Posts

2016 final:

shots for TFC: 19 (7 on target)

shots for Seattle: 3 (0 on target)

2017 final:

shots for TFC: 22 (11 on target)

shots for Seattle: 7 (2 on target)

Finally the score line matches the game! Now not a single person can say that Seattle is better than TFC. Toronto is obviously the class of the MLS. Now it’s time for a Canadian Champions league winner!

btw I am a whitecaps fan, but TFC deserves this. As a Canadian, I am extremely proud of TFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really puzzled when i saw the 4-4-2 posted as the starting lineup.  But it turns out that they were able to completely choke the life out of Seattle in midfield..  By half time, i was hoping for no subs.   

Interestingly,  for all the talk about TFC’s offensive prowess (deservedly so), it was defense that won them the trophy.  No goals allowed in the final and two semi finals.  The goals conceded against Nyrb,  one was a fluke, the other was a pk.  

I think Bradley should have been given the MVP in this game.  Lodiero and the rest of their mf were completely stymied..

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I was really puzzled when i saw the 4-4-2 posted as the starting lineup.  But it turns out that they were able to completely choke the life out of Seattle in midfield..  By half time, i was hoping for no subs.   

Interestingly,  for all the talk about TFC’s offensive prowess (deservedly so), it was defense that won them the trophy.  No goals allowed in the final and two semi finals.  The goals conceded against Nyrb,  one was a fluke, the other was a pk.  

I think Bradley should have been given the MVP in this game.  Lodiero and the rest of their mf were completely stymied..

Lodeiro was made to look really poor and you could hardly tell if Victor Rodriguez was on the field.  Bruin is a try hard but limited player up top, so then it's down to the Deuce to conjure up some individual brilliance (i.e. swerving shot into the top corner from just outside the box), but nothing happened, and that was that.  They got owned, plain and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

For me that wasn’t just revenge for last year but also 1983 and 1984. Screw you Chicago Sting and Tulsa Roughnecks!

Yup remember those losses and finally after those losses and last years loss we finally win , to be in that stadium tonight and watch Toronto finally win in front of those incredible fans was so special what a feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Lodeiro was made to look really poor and you could hardly tell if Victor Rodriguez was on the field.  Bruin is a try hard but limited player up top, so then it's down to the Deuce to conjure up some individual brilliance (i.e. swerving shot into the top corner from just outside the box), but nothing happened, and that was that.  They got owned, plain and simple.

I watched a fair bit of their two leg matchup with Houston.  Yes, there was an early red card to Houston in the first leg that that was a huge turning point, but overall it was more that Houston were a not a good side.  Had the Whitecaps gotten their tactics right in the first leg versus Seattle They might have advanced and it would have been an all Canadian final.

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where does this rank on Canada's Greatest Soccer Moments list? #7? #8?

RANDOM NOTE: Jonathan Campbell of Chicago Fire literally just followed me on Instagram. I'm confused

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Yup remember those losses and finally after those losses and last years loss we finally win , to be in that stadium tonight and watch Toronto finally win in front of those incredible fans was so special what a feeling.

@ 1996 I had the privilege to be at the game myself... and yeah indeed, what a feeling/experience, considering that you , myself and everyone in attendance witness a moment of history being made in Canadian/Toronto football.... Fantastic to see buddy!.. Hope you had a good time yourself!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Yup remember those losses and finally after those losses and last years loss we finally win , to be in that stadium tonight and watch Toronto finally win in front of those incredible fans was so special what a feeling.

The 1983 final was the last "Soccer Bowl" and was played in Vancouver so I wasn't at that game but I was in the stands for the 1984 second leg which turned out to be the last NASL game ever (for the original league) and of course this year and last year. So its nice for it to be third time lucky in the stands.

Although I never saw Vazquez's goal live as somebody behind me got over excited and chucked some beer up in the air and it came down right on my glasses at that exact moment. I don't mean a couple of drops either but seemingly half a glass, resulting in a different way of getting blurred vision from alcohol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Free kick said:

I was really puzzled when i saw the 4-4-2 posted as the starting lineup.  But it turns out that they were able to completely choke the life out of Seattle in midfield..  By half time, i was hoping for no subs.   

Interestingly,  for all the talk about TFC’s offensive prowess (deservedly so), it was defense that won them the trophy.  No goals allowed in the final and two semi finals.  The goals conceded against Nyrb,  one was a fluke, the other was a pk.  

I think Bradley should have been given the MVP in this game.  Lodiero and the rest of their mf were completely stymied..

Bradley clear MVP imo, but Vanney deserves equal credit.

Bradley was 1 defensive action from tying the all-time MLS record for defensive actions in a 90 minute game...in the MLS final. 36/40 on forward passes, 5/6 on duels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...