Jump to content

Recommended Posts

All factors considered, with TFC and Y9FC in place, with L1O in place, with what the distinct former municipalities and suburban municipalities are like, to me, the only place in the GTA that makes sense and would have a high likelihood of succeeding like Halifax would be Sauga, with a stadium close to Square One. That's the only place dense enough, and with its own distinct sense of community, and far away from both BMO and York Lions to make sense to me.

At the moment, I'm not really seeing another downtown TO team, or one in Downsview, or one near North York Centre, or one in Scarlem, or one in Etobicoke, or one near the Danforth, or one in that new complex in Pickering, or one in Brampton, or one in any other municipality to have a high likelihood of succeeding. Of course a rich owner can set up shop in any one of these spots, but if you want a club that has a high likelihood of succeeding, CPL has to put it near Square One.

If you drive past Square One and Celebration Square in Sauga, you can see why a CPL club could succeed there. It's rammed in there, and feels like its own big city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to comment, Real Sociedad had a track in the "new" Anoeta for over 20 years, this year is their first without it. Espanyol played many years in the Olympic Stadium. Almeria plays with one in 2nd

If the stars ever aligned, it would be great to see David Argyle (Toronto Wolfpack owner) put money into modernising and improving Lamport and then deciding to start a Toronto CPL team to play out of

It would be. And lots of pubs nearby! And on two different subway lines!

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

All factors considered, with TFC and Y9FC in place, with L1O in place, with what the distinct former municipalities and suburban municipalities are like, to me, the only place in the GTA that makes sense and would have a high likelihood of succeeding like Halifax would be Sauga, with a stadium close to Square One. That's the only place dense enough, and with its own distinct sense of community, and far away from both BMO and York Lions to make sense to me.

At the moment, I'm not really seeing another downtown TO team, or one in Downsview, or one near North York Centre, or one in Scarlem, or one in Etobicoke, or one near the Danforth, or one in that new complex in Pickering, or one in Brampton, or one in any other municipality to have a high likelihood of succeeding. Of course a rich owner can set up shop in any one of these spots, but if you want a club that has a high likelihood of succeeding, CPL has to put it near Square One.

If you drive past Square One and Celebration Square in Sauga, you can see why a CPL club could succeed there. It's rammed in there, and feels like its own big city. 

That region is indeed the best place I have to agree. Accessible by highway as the 403, 401 and 410 intersect not too far from there. You can arguably draw on outlier towns like Milton, Oakville and Burlington, although TFC still has the Lakeshore West Go Train advantage with the latter two cities. If the Port Credit to Brampton LRT is ever made, that would be another huge bonus as well.  

 

Edit: That LRT is being made as per my Google search....but it stops at Shopper's World only. Still, better than nothing. 

Edited by Macksam
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 6:39 PM, devioustrevor said:

Don't they have the management rights to the stadium?  If so, they're breaching their contract to themselves.

The contract between MLSE and the city, who own the stadium, may have certain performance requirements. Also, MLSE is likely to play ball with the city if the city pushes something, given other concessions that MLSE wants. They've been very co-operative with meals in recent weeks.

 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, Rocket Robin said:

Varsity is artificial turf and has a track around the edges.  Even wider than York's.  

Lamport is also artificial turf.  

Avoiding artificial turf would be nice - but if it's good enough for Hamilton - not to mention many MLS teams ...

I don't see the track as a huge problem. Many a team plays with tracks.

 

Edited by nfitz
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Avoiding artificial turf would be nice - but if it's good enough for Hamilton - not to mention many MLS teams ...
I don't see the track as a huge problem. Many a team plays with tracks.

I hear you on the turf part - its sometimes inevitable.

But the track....no, no, no. We are not Italy and have history. 
It's very minor league to me, the sight-lines are horrible if soccer was made with it in mind...and thats no where.

Curious, what teams play in stadiums with tracks? and don't have plans to change it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shway said:

Didn't my own quick search: No teams in Premier League, 1 Team in Ligue 1, No Teams in La Liga, 1 Team Primeira Liga, No teams in Eredivisie, 3 in Serie A.

West Ham play with a running track. Don’t believe the BS about retractable seating. It is some temp seating behind the track and a claret carpet put over the track. It is a really shitty way to watch football. Also Hertha Berlin in Germany. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the stars ever aligned, it would be great to see David Argyle (Toronto Wolfpack owner) put money into modernising and improving Lamport and then deciding to start a Toronto CPL team to play out of there along with the Wolfpack. 

Money wouldn’t be an issue for him, it would be if he had any interest in football and if there was political will to do something with lamport as it is an important community venue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

If the stars ever aligned, it would be great to see David Argyle (Toronto Wolfpack owner) put money into modernising and improving Lamport and then deciding to start a Toronto CPL team to play out of there along with the Wolfpack. 

Money wouldn’t be an issue for him, it would be if he had any interest in football and if there was political will to do something with lamport as it is an important community venue. 

I'd see it as much more likely that they pair up with the Arrows and make it a national rugby stadium.

Much more likely is still not that likely,  though. Both teams have to play away until a certain point each spring because the city won't give up the community use use they get out of having the winter dome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Fieldturf is getting installed at York Lions stadium in September and the York Lions football team are moving in. Y9's last game on natural grass there has almost certainly already been played.

Sad. Why couldn't York u have a seperate football stadium and soccer. One turf one grass. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 PM, Shway said:

Yea but where in Scarborough? CPL need's existing stadia setups to upgrade to professional standards vs the costly building from scratch. 

Birchmount or  Lamaroux Stadium? Centennial or Seneca colleges stadium? Uoft? 

I think the investment required is too steep for these stadiums to host professional games or create a professional experience. Plus they are already oversaturated from League 1 use. It's imperative, that I think York9 slept on/took for granted.

Its the reason why I ultimately think Lamport would make a statement with the right investment, and positioning. 

Depends on ownership. Ideally, an owner willing to setup an Halifax-like pop up stadium near Scarborough Center which is going under revitalization or further east. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, Shway said:

Didn't my own quick search: No teams in Premier League, 1 Team in Ligue 1, No Teams in La Liga, 1 Team Primeira Liga, No teams in Eredivisie, 3 in Serie A.

Just to comment, Real Sociedad had a track in the "new" Anoeta for over 20 years, this year is their first without it. Espanyol played many years in the Olympic Stadium. Almeria plays with one in 2nd Div Spain, because they are in the recent Mediterranean Games stadium.

The Estadio de la Cartuja in Seville, which was built for an Olympics bid, is now eliminating the track and the stadium will be one of the only large "neutral" sites for football in Spain, I think the Spanish Cup final will be played there.

The overall consensus is that a track is a bad idea, but not just for football: tracks have very low use in conjunction with spectators. Usually one major meeting a year. They have high use for training athletes, but the spectator needs are minimal, even at a high school or university level a few hundred is fine. Putting the two together, hinging stands to a track, is very poor thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...