Canada vs Costa Rica Thursday June 8th in Winnipeg & Sunday June 11th in Toronto

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/05/2017 at 9:51 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

How did you learn Huitema is in the camp? Is there a squad list somewhere?

Weird. Sanderson wasn't on the roster. 

Maya Antoine, age 16, from Vaughan, ON/ Vaughan Soccer Club
Tiffany Cameron, age 25, from Mississauga, ON/ Borussia Mönchengladbach (Bundesliga)
Gabrielle Carle, age 18, from Lévis, QC/ CS Lévis-Est & Québec Soccer REX
Jordyn Huitema, age 15, from Chilliwack, BC/ Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite BC Soccer REX 
Kennedy Faulknor, age 17, from Scarborough, ON/ Unionville-Milliken SC
Alex Lamontagne, 20, Syracuse University, from Whitby, ON/ Durham United FC
Marie Levasseur, age 20, from Stoneham, QC/ University of Memphis (NCAA)
Lysianne Proulx, age 18, from Boucherville, QC/ Syracuse University (NCAA)
Lauren Raimondo, 18, Unionville-Milliken SC, from Niagara Falls, ON
Deanne Rose, age 18, from Alliston, ON/ Scarborough GS United
Sarah Stratigakis, age 18, from Woodbridge, ON/ Aurora United FC (League1 Ontario)
Hannah Taylor, age 17, from Edmonds, WA/ Eastside FC
Shannon Woeller, age 27, from Vancouver, BC/ FF USV Jena (Bundesliga)

• 2 weeks later...

Think we're all on the same page here.  Expected low teens myself, with probably a fair chunk of those sold going to the youth clubs.  Not that that's an issue other than from a revenue point of view but yeah, it is what it is.  

Vincere ac vinci sumus in booze!

Maybe a silly question but I can only make it to the 2nd half because of work. Does anyone know which side the Canada goal is on first? Are they facing the Voyageurs section (I think that's section 144, right?) first or second half?

Thanks!

I would have expected 7-8k when this thing was announced. As much as I might hate to admit it, the 28k that attended the Canada-USA friendly in 2014 would have been a much smaller number, probably half as large, with a different opponent. The buzz about the upcoming WWC may have helped, but Canada-USA sells in any sport. There is really no Olympic profile boost for this women's team any longer (is anybody thinking about any other Olympians that busted through in 2016? Nobody's talking about Penny Oleksiak these days either) and Winnipeg is not a soccer city (yet). 

Obviously it's disappointing not to get a bigger number, but we need to get our expectations in line. 

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I would have expected 7-8k when this thing was announced. As much as I might hate to admit it, the 28k that attended the Canada-USA friendly in 2014 would have been a much smaller number, probably half as large, with a different opponent. The buzz about the upcoming WWC may have helped, but Canada-USA sells in any sport. There is really no Olympic profile boost for this women's team any longer (is anybody thinking about any other Olympians that busted through in 2016? Nobody's talking about Penny Oleksiak these days either) and Winnipeg is not a soccer city (yet). 

Obviously it's disappointing not to get a bigger number, but we need to get our expectations in line. 

Defiantly think it's more than that, maybe 10-12

24 minutes ago, The Ref said:

What is Sophie Schmidt still doing on the team.  Sinclair at least is a drawing card and she still has some goals in her.  Labbe as usual screwing things up, something to forget about.

I admit that I was multitasking for some of the game, but Schmidt didn't stand out for me as a negative.  I thought she had some good plays.  We didn't capitalize on a bunch of chances, and had about 10 minutes where we were scrambling, but overall we were clearly the better team.  With the subs and the minutes for young players taken into account, I am fine with the game. 

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Sophie had a decent game. She had some quiet patches but what she did, she did well, and she DEFINITELY belongs in this squad and as a contender for a starting place.

I was frustrated watching Sophie constantly making bad passes and missing glorious scoring opportunities but she was not alone as Beckie was maybe worse. Lots of positives though from other players and nice to see Leon out there she was great in the few moments she had.  

2 hours ago, mtlfan said:

I was frustrated watching Sophie constantly making bad passes and missing glorious scoring opportunities but she was not alone as Beckie was maybe worse. Lots of positives though from other players and nice to see Leon out there she was great in the few moments she had.  

Right, except that Schmidt as a senior has been around long enough to have better skills and her playing? in Germany seem to made her worst.  The Ticas have better individual ball skills compared to us, the difference was our running speed and being stronger physically.  Against an equally fast and strong team it will be uphill the way we are playing.  I think Herdman has come short of ideas about tactics and strategy in soccer.

4 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Right, except that Schmidt as a senior has been around long enough to have better skills and her playing? in Germany seem to made her worst.  The Ticas have better individual ball skills compared to us, the difference was our running speed and being stronger physically.  Against an equally fast and strong team it will be uphill the way we are playing.  I think Herdman has come short of ideas about tactics and strategy in soccer.

Individual skill is an issue of long term player development strategies, not national team coaching.  It isn't the Nat coach's job to get everyone doing tricks and flicks.  As for Herdman coming up short on ideas, we could have won that game 5 or 6 to 1 with better finishing.  Rose (I think) had a weak effort that rolled slowly towards the net, one cross was just ahead of a speeding Leon, etc.

I am not saying we played perfectly.  We looked pretty terrible for that 10 minute (or so) patch where we were constantly scrambling and gave up the goal - and could have given up another.  But my overall impression of the game is quite a bit different than yours. 

Archived