Canada vs Costa Rica Thursday June 8th in Winnipeg & Sunday June 11th in Toronto

9 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

144 is on the side of the CFL end zone and behind the end line so it was ok but not the greatest. There was no drum there. In fact, there were only six Vs in that supporters section, 5 from SK and one from Edmonton :) but by the second half it was pretty rockin'. We didn't have a drum but I like that just fine.

I suspect things we will have more Vs this time.

I didn't live in Winnipeg back then so we will have at least seven this time :) 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MrsC said:

I didn't live in Winnipeg back then so we will have at least seven this time :) 

Excellent :) 

Still haven't broached the subject of going to this game with my family. But if there is any game that I'm most able to attend it would be a game in Winnipeg. Now if I can just convince certain folks that going to Winnipeg and then flying to Toronto for the next game is a good idea ...

10 hours ago, dsqpr said:

If you want to actually watch the match then 144 is a very poor choice indeed.

This situation always seems to arise: the tension between cheap tickets and a good view of the action. For myself, once I've already coughed up hundreds of dollars to travel to a match, I have no problem coming up with an extra $20 to get a good view.

Yes 102 or 103 would be far preferable. On the other hand, if demand for Vs tickets is low (even if there are 50 or 100 Vs, we will still not be even close to filling a section) and they sell as many general tickets for the game as they did the last game (if memory serves they had 28,000), then I can understand that the CSA doesn't want to give up those seats. Essentially we will have a section with a couple of full rows at the bottom and empty behind for the most part. 

Hey @admin any chance we can get word on the security situation? What can we bring in for flags, banners, etc, and can we set up prior to the game. Assuming I'm coming, I should be able to be in Winnipeg by noon or so and will have the day off to help organize stuff. Still have to get the ok on the home front though.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well, I hope you get at least 25 people and a drum this time.

@admin did you bring the giant flag and banner back from Vancouver? Do you plan on flying up to Winnipeg for the game?

I'm heading to Winnipeg. 

I'll bring the flag and banner.  

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

If you want to actually watch the match then 144 is a very poor choice indeed.

This situation always seems to arise: the tension between cheap tickets and a good view of the action. For myself, once I've already coughed up hundreds of dollars to travel to a match, I have no problem coming up with an extra $20 to get a good view.

Yes, our sections are problematic at times.  There are several reasons for it.  People who pay $50 for seats really don't want us near them and the CSA can't piss off the people that pay $50+ for seats. 

If we were in Toronto or Vancouver, we could take over a full section or more at center field.  But we would with 100% certainty obstruct peoples views on either side of us. 

For the CanPL I think the supporters groups should go for good seats and people should adjust to them since it can be that way from day one.

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes 102 or 103 would be far preferable. On the other hand, if demand for Vs tickets is low (even if there are 50 or 100 Vs, we will still not be even close to filling a section) and they sell as many general tickets for the game as they did the last game (if memory serves they had 28,000), then I can understand that the CSA doesn't want to give up those seats. Essentially we will have a section with a couple of full rows at the bottom and empty behind for the most part. 

Hey @admin any chance we can get word on the security situation? What can we bring in for flags, banners, etc, and can we set up prior to the game. Assuming I'm coming, I should be able to be in Winnipeg by noon or so and will have the day off to help organize stuff. Still have to get the ok on the home front though.

Unless someone personally knows the security (ala Vancouver) I would not risk the V's banner in a pre game set up. 

It depends on what you want to do. 

If you have an idea, let me know.  I'll get in touch with them.

Nothing can be as bad as BMO. 

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

I hear ya. God forbid that anybody should actually cheer and create an atmosphere at a football match. Absolutely shocking behaviour!

Those $50+ namby pamby pussies had better not ever go to watch a football match in England (or likely anywhere else in the world) is all I can say. What a fun king shit show (yeah, guess I'll leave my auto incorrection alone on that last comment!).

I don't think it's that they don't want that.   Not everyone has to do everything the same way.

I am glad those people are buying $50+ tickets to watch Canada games. Let's get more of them! :)

Anyone and everyone who buys a ticket to a Canada game is someone whose hand we should be shaking.  

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

And just to add to my point, massive props to the USA fans who came to Winnipeg for the 2015 Women's World Cup -- they created a proper football atmosphere when the US played, throughout the stadium, including the Cat 1 seats where I was sitting (pissed me off at the time!).

Are they really so much different from us?

Yeah, they did a really good job.    The men & women play regularly, and they have astonishing resources at their disposal.

Most importantly, they have permission to be what they are in a social sense.  Their teams win games and they reached a critical mass to make things work. 

We lack all three of those things. 

12 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I know I'm over simplifying the issue, but with that said nobody seems to have a social problem with noise at Jet or Bomber games and the last time I looked our Women were ranked #4 in the world. So I'm not sure I agree that we lack all of those things.

I'm sure we can overcome the noise thing but the standing and flags are trickier.

Security at our own stadiums, even recently, view the away fans as having that permission.  They have taken our flags & drums away in designated sections while allowing them for away fans in sections of the stadium they are not even allowed to have them. They see that as normal for 'them' but not us.  We are a long way from crossing that line on the social permission issue which I think is the most important pillar of the three even if our women's team is ranked #4.    The other two, resources and results make the third a great deal easier, but it's not impossible to achieve... and especially with the CSA on our side makes it much more possible.

Being at center, and obstructing views, is a totally legitimate complaint.   Noise though, is an absolute go.  

We had no real issues with security at IG the last time the women played there. They did mention to us that people had been complaining, but they also said they knew we were allowed to do what we were doing and that they weren't asking us to stop just that they needed to let us know. They were fully aware that it was a supporters section and that we were well within the understanding of the section. 

I will almost certainly be in Winnipeg for work in April. I could meet stadium folks if it could be arranged.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting our section should be at the half way line. When I go to watch QPR I am quite happy if I am in line with the edge of the box. Even behind the goal is fine in a football specific stadium (e.g. 114 at BMO). But the corners or behind the goal in a pointy ball stadium do not cut it.

To be fair, while not ideal I don't think there are too many really crap seats at IGF for footie..  Me and mine were in the very back rows of 139, behind the north goal, and they're still pretty decent.  We took back row so we could stand without bothering our neighbours and yeah, was pleasantly surprised.

No, the gridiron end zones don't improve things.  Yes, I'd really rather they weren't moving the action 15+ yards further away from the end stands but IGF is a pretty tight for a CFL pitch so not too bad.  Would say it's better than BC Place and doesn't compared to Commonwealth, which is an effing disaster if you're behind the goals.   

17 hours ago, dsqpr said:

This is truly shocking. Perhaps they know that if they tried that with the away fans they would have a fight on their hands -- a fight they would lose. We need to bring over some scousers or mancunians to hold our flags for us. I'd like to see BMO security try to tangle with them!!

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting our section should be at the half way line. When I go to watch QPR I am quite happy if I am in line with the edge of the box. Even behind the goal is fine in a football specific stadium (e.g. 114 at BMO). But the corners or behind the goal in a pointy ball stadium do not cut it.

The sections are already established for Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.  Perhaps we can work out something different for other stadiums.  I think it's worth trying. 

The problem with  your scousers, is BMO security would love that. It would give the security and police the just cause to be everything they are at times.  The scousers would lose, badly.  

10 hours ago, admin said:

That would be great if you guys could meet them.  I think it really helps, and based on your post they already sound reasonable.

I'll make some inquiries. The fact that I can refer to the good experience we had the last time and maybe try and build on that might help. I'll let you know what I find out. 

We got our group tix for our soccer club today... they placed us in section 105.  Glad to be in the sunny side for early June but have to remember to wear a cap.  Soccer Canada / Ticketmaster were very good to us and met all our needs in getting us our tickets.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The link is down for the Winnipeg game. It will be up and running soon (we hope). @admin is working on it. Tickets are indeed still available.

It appears to be working again - thanks for fixing. 

Herdman will have a camp in Vancouver starting on May 20th. I think it's mostly for university players, recent graduates and Jordyn Huitema (because well maybe they'll have other high schoolers now, who knows?), but Valerie Sanderson will be among those trying to impress Herdman into making the squad for the June friendlies. 

https://capitainesoccer.net/2017/05/11/valerie-sanderson-le-debut-dune-nouvelle-aventure/

Archived