Juan Guillermo Cordova

charlesmazz

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So with Godinho and Petrasso, have we finally solved our RB problem?

It is too early to know, none of them are sure things yet. Although I think we'll be okay in the near future with these guys as our opponents are really low level. Hopefully by the later rounds of 2022 WCQ these guys will have much more experience in the position and will have improved, they will need it.

Fingers crossed. Although I still don't think Petrasso is best there. Fraser Aird still has time to make the grade and kadin Chung is amongst some more up and comers for the RB slot over the next 4/5 years. LB isn't that much worse off either. 

If only we had the same depth coming up in CB. How much money can we pay Tomori? How much money can we pay a surgeon to permanently fix Henry with bionic body parts.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Fingers crossed. Although I still don't think Petrasso is best there. Fraser Aird still has time to make the grade and kadin Chung is amongst some more up and comers for the RB slot over the next 4/5 years. LB isn't that much worse off either. 

If only we had the same depth coming up in CB. How much money can we pay Tomori? How much money can we pay a surgeon to permanently fix Henry with bionic body parts.

CB may look better with the emergence of Cornelius. We also have 4 CBs playing consistent D1 minutes so it's not that bad but needs to be improved.

Boskovic, Miller and Constant are also up and comers and should be up for first team contracts next year. 

Edited by honestseveran

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

So with Godinho and Petrasso, have we finally solved our RB problem?

I wouldn't say solved, but I would say we have four, young, capable options and one of them may develop into a solid right back. Those options are:

Godinho (20), Cordova (23), Petrasso (23) and Aird (23).

I have them listed in order of who I think looks most and least like a fullback, though I think you can swap Petrasso and Aird and it wouldn't matter. Neither looks like a proper fullback to me, but each is decent enough there to fill in without giving us much problem. I am more optimistic for Petrasso in the position just because he is getting time to develop there in MTL, for now.

The good news for me is the age of all of those players and the fact they all appear to have good attacking instincts. One issue I had with Ouimette was that although he showed well defending, he offered little going forward.

Godinho looks the most balanced on both sides of the ball, but that could be "shiny new toy" syndrome on my part.

What do you guys think?

According to Transfermarkt almost all of Aird's minutes this year with Dunfermline have been at RM or LM.  If Petrasso is a midfielder turned into a fullback I think Aird might be more of a midfielder now.  His recent start and assist were from a LM position where from highlights he seemed very much an attacking player.

A couple other names for the future: Alex Comsia at North Carolina and Kamal Miller at Syracuse are both highly rated NCAA backs.  And I think SpecialK has mentioned Zachary Brault-Guillard with Olympique Lyon B a number of times.  Paris Gee is only 23 and has been having a good season with Tulsa Roughnecks in USL.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/314406/2018/04/14/the-starting-xi-analyzing-where-tfc-the-impact-and-the-whitecaps-went-wrong-this-weekend/

Cordova turned down a call for the New Zealand match, wanted to keep his run of starts going at his club

No big deal, glad he's in Herdman's plans

Edited by Complete Homer

• 5 months later...

Spoke with Cordova over Instagram DM since it had been 12 months after his last call up (Oct 2017 vs ES)

- He said he was nominated vs NZ in Spain but turned it down due to a big match  solidify his spot and so therefore Herdman let him

- That he was only left out of the last two due to Technical decisions *No RB’s being selected

- Very motivated and committed to Canada ?? 

- Currently he’s fighting in his club with Jose Bizama who got called up for Chilean national team not too long ago 

- He thinks Canada will be a powerhouse since Canada already has very good players without its own league, “Just imagine what it will be like when they do”

- Would consider a move to MLS in the future should he receive any offers 

- He’s learned the Oh Canada Anthem, English has improved and talks to Herdman with out a translator 

- Likes the healthy competition at Huachipato and finally hopes to be playing the Copa Sudamericana next year! 

Edited by Thomas

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Spoke with Cordova over Instagram DM since it had been 12 months after his last call up (Oct 2017 vs ES)

-- Would consider a move to MLS in the future should he receive any offers 

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Whitecaps interested in him for next season. They could use a RB/RM like him and he seems like the kind of player Marc Dos Santos (the likely future Caps manager) would take a chance on.

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Whitecaps interested in him for next season. They could use a RB/RM like him and he seems like the kind of player Marc Dos Santos (the likely future Caps manager) would take a chance on.

Amazing ! Nice updates thank you !!! Did you get a chance to ask him about Cristián Gutiérrez? It would be amazing to have both of them playing for Canada ! 

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

I do wonder though how many minutes he would get with the Whitecaps in MLS.

First of all, it's not as if he's always starting in Chile. He is in and out again for the most part. Not exactly impressive as far as incoming South American talent goes. Most of these guys are significant contributors, or at bare minimum good squad players at a big club. We're talking top sides in the smaller leagues (Penarol, Cerro Porteno etc.) or mid-level clubs in Argentina like Lanus, or bigger. We are talking Boca Junior players. This is not Cordova's level at this stage.

This is not to say that Whitecaps don't go for him. On the contrary, I hope they do. I think Cordova could really elevate his level in MLS, and I could watch him more often, from a selfish standpoint.

The Uruguayan contingent in Vancouver came from equally humble beginnings, so you never know. I would bet though he'd be in a fight with Jake Nerwinski for game time. I would like to think otherwise, but the reality is that MLS is a physical league and from what I have seen of Cordova, it is physical play that he is deficient in. On the other hand, this is where he could improve and MLS would give him plenty of practice, so I hope something comes of it all.

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Did you get a chance to ask him about Cristián Gutiérrez? It would be amazing to have both of them playing for Canada ! 

I did later yeah, ask him about Cristian and he had a mix of things to say

To sum it up:

On convincing: “That’s something that depends on him, I can’t convince him, he has to feel it” 

On Herdman reaching out “I don’t know if he has or not”

On Zambrano reaching out before “He asked me about him, but in that moment he didn’t want to go” 

”I don’t know if he phoned him or not because I asked Cristian if he had and he told me he hadn’t yet, that maybe they did talk but I wouldn’t really know tbh”

If hes interested in joining still and if he could provide an update 

“Don’t know if he is or isn’t, I would have to ask him” 

Finally I told him he could do important things (Gold Cup, Copa America, League A CNL, Olympics, World Cup 2022, 2026) and basically he can be a part of it all

His response “we’ll see” 

I guess they’re not that close, they haven’t talked in quite a while and he might not be at Huachipato much longer (7 GP in 24 Fixtures) and one year deal expires in December 

So don’t know if that makes it further away from him committing now that Peter Raco and JC wouldn’t be talking to him here and there 

Pretty vague answers I know, but if there is anyone from Canada Soccer (Player, Coach, staff or anyone) it would be him 

Nothing new really ?

Edited by Thomas

@Thomas are those exact quotes?  Curious that a new English speaker would be using “tbh”. 

Also let’s be realistic re Gutierrez now.  Before I had said he would wait out his chances.. now he is out of favour at a middle of the pack club.  He’s ours if we want him imo but do we at this point? Likely not as we are sticking to one full back a camp.. maybe in the new year if he gets playing again.  Also, a guy not playing at a mid table Chilean side isn’t going to take us to new heights. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

@Thomas are those exact quotes?  Curious that a new English speaker would be using “tbh”. 

Also let’s be realistic re Gutierrez now.  Before I had said he would wait out his chances.. now he is out of favour at a middle of the pack club.  He’s ours if we want him imo but do we at this point? Likely not as we are sticking to one full back a camp.. maybe in the new year if he gets playing again.  Also, a guy not playing at a mid table Chilean side isn’t going to take us to new heights. 

Yes we do ! And he’s only 21 years old !  Also we are only calling one full back because we are playing against minnow teams! If we play the  formation like we are playing now against a good team, lord help us. Herdman can’t be that crazy right ? 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

This.

He's two years younger than Cordova, but he's even further down the depth chart at his club, based on the number of games he played (or hasn't played, more like it).

If Cordova is on the outside of the CanMNT looking in at this stage, it's difficult to imagine Gutierrez in our side. This is not to say anything of his actually play, as I haven't seen him with his club at all. He doesn't exactly make it easy to watch him.

The fact that he's struggling to get game time and is willing to pass up on Canada suggests he's either supremely confident he can eventually make it at a bigger club (like Colo Colo) and earn his way into the Chile set up, or he just is disinterested in representing a country whom he has weak links to.

Could be both, but what I do know is that most fence sitters eligible for bigger teams seem to commit to us once their PT at club level drops off. I am thinking Hoilett and Vitoria for starters.

I get that each situation is unique for that individual, but I would expect this guy jump at a chance at international football given his lack of games. That's if he had more than fleeting interest in our program, which he clearly doesn't at this stage.

Edited by Obinna

Maybe it's just because I am following this site a lot more closely the last few years than I did years previous, but I remember a simpler time when the dual nationals we got excited/worried about were guys getting regular playing time in the Bundesliga, EPL, and La Liga. I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about a guy in Chile that may or may not be good enough to even play for the national team.

• 1 month later...