charlesmazz

Juan Guillermo Cordova

Spoke with a gentlemen representing Cordova. He is keen on representing Canada and would accept a call to camp.

They are in early contact with the CSA.

Cordova has made over 55 firist team club appearances in Primera B and Copa Chile. At 21, he has creditable experience.

Edited by hamiltonfan

On 13/02/2017 at 6:23 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He could get an exemption if the CSA pressed for it; the rules are to stop Qatar becoming Brazil B. It would just be a massive headache for the CSA so they would have to REALLY have to want this guy.

It's not actually that difficult. The forms are fairly simple if the documentation (ie proof of address, citizenship documents, etc) is in order. The process, while time consuming, is relatively straightforward where the immigration occurred at such a young age for family purposes.

9 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

It's not actually that difficult. The forms are fairly simple if the documentation (ie proof of address, citizenship documents, etc) is in order. The process, while time consuming, is relatively straightforward where the immigration occurred at such a young age for family purposes.

It may not be, it will all depend on the circumstances. If his parents moved back to Chile between 1988 and 1995 and he was born in Chile and never lived in Canada he will not be eligible.

31 minutes ago, charlesmazz said:

Has officially been called up to the U23 Team for the tournament in Qatar

Which tournament is that? All I am seeing is the AFC Championship 

5 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Which tournament is that? All I am seeing is the AFC Championship 

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-to-compete-in-aspire-u-23-tournament-p160352

Good to hear.  I was beginning to worry that no further info from the CSA might mean it was off.

So does this mean Cordova is eligible to represent Canada's MNT or since this is just a U23 friendly tournament he doesn't require FIFA approval?

http://www.futbolprimerabchile.cl/index.php/club-deportivo-union-san-felipe/2575-volante-de-union-san-felipe-defendera-a-la-seleccion-u23-de-canada

partial Google translation:

The one formed in the Uni - Uní quarry has links to the North American country on the paternal side. "All the family on the part of my dad, grandparents, cousins live there. That's why I can have Canadian citizenship, I've gone twice, I took an English course, I was taught at school, I handle English well."

So it sounds like Cordova qualifies through his father.  Interested to hear how he does with the U23s.

So that's Cordova and Diego Gutierrez in the space of a couple of months.  CSA working the Chilean connections.:ph34r:

Edited by ray

8 minutes ago, ray said:

http://www.futbolprimerabchile.cl/index.php/club-deportivo-union-san-felipe/2575-volante-de-union-san-felipe-defendera-a-la-seleccion-u23-de-canada

partial Google translation:

The one formed in the Uni - Uní quarry has links to the North American country on the paternal side. "All the family on the part of my dad, grandparents, cousins live there. That's why I can have Canadian citizenship, I've gone twice, I took an English course, I was taught at school, I handle English well."

So it sounds like Cordova qualifies through his father.  Interested to hear how he does with the U23s.

So that's Cordova and Diego Gutierrez in the space of a couple of months.  CSA working the Chilean connections.:ph34r:

Wasn't it said earlier that the dad was born in Chile?  So maybe one of his grandparents was born in Canada.  I really hope the CSA isn't screwing up royally and calling someone simply because their family is Canadian but not qualifying through FIFA rules.  

The big fish of course is Cristian Gutierrez, but like Cristante that probably won't be for years. 

Going back to the highlights it says that he's ambidextrous and he does have sequences coming from the left side so he can be an option at LB or RB. If he keeps playing with his club he should be a serious candidate for the gold cup as we don't have many options at RB and I'd prefer a chilean d2 over usa d2 in this case. Only issue is that his season ends in late April which is also the case for other players. Zambrano should put on a camp in May for those whos season has ended that way they'll stay ready and he'll get to know them better.

On 2017-03-10 at 8:47 AM, Keegan said:

Wasn't it said earlier that the dad was born in Chile?  So maybe one of his grandparents was born in Canada.  I really hope the CSA isn't screwing up royally and calling someone simply because their family is Canadian but not qualifying through FIFA rules.  

Since he says he's a Canadian citizen and he's been called up I think it puts those questions to bed.

Glad to have him officially on board.

He played 90 minutes in each of the past 3 games. They won 2-0 today which was their first win in 8 games. Two players who had considerable playing time left the team and with this result he will probably be a starter for the rest of the season. 

He played in his team's second goal last week with his cross at 0:33 (#14): 

His goal in January at 0:48:

On the team of the week at left back. With de Jong out of form and Corbin-Ong, Stamapoulos and Cordova being starters in their clubs there should be a nice battle for the left back spot.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

On the team of the week at left back. With de Jong out of form and Corbin-Ong, Stamapoulos and Cordova being starters in their clubs there should be a nice battle for the left back spot.

I believe this is his 3rd team of the week selection this season. Other two were at RB.

Edited by hamiltonfan

He seems sincerely happy to represent Canada, and rather humble. Happy for him.

Don't know if his performance, which was okay, fine, nothing really spectacular though, might have had to do with being a long way from "home" and first time with Canada. Saying this as his club performance would suggest he should have stood out more.