MLS expansion

fil

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know 8 of these will eventually take the league to 32. Unless the league is completely inept, it should generate enough TV ratings by then to at least get a halfway decent TV deal. When that happens, they can just do the good old NFL thing and hold municipalities hostage by threatening to move teams to a new city when they're stadium isn't good enough anymore.

Online on mls.com you see a lot of people pushing for Sacramento, and San Diego. I am a bit bewildered, I think Sacramento is my favourite worst franchise city in the US. 

I think they have to look at 3-4 things assuming all are financially viable. 

-proven fan base and fan enthusiasm

-stadium, preferably grass, with good game-day ambience, and preferably downtown or accessible. 

-regional rivalry potential

-soccer history, legacy in the city

This would put Cincinnati first, IMO, and then maybe San Antonio. Both give you great state rivalries, are contrasted (East and West, if it falls that way), and have been playing to enthusiastic fans. The demographics are diverse. The ownership groups are also multipartisan and look to me to be very responsible.

Detroit I know would be amazing for TFC, sets up a cool rivalry, but I don't see it. The San Diego argument is all about hispanics, which I think is an old argument that is being proven weak. And about them losing their NFL team and needing a sport replacment (St. Louis is also short a franchise). 

Looking at this group, you have to think that a franchise bid from another Canadian city could work, because we are talking about a lot of secondary markets in the US amongst these bidders. Can no one in Canada outbid Raleigh-Durham or Nashville?

Sacramento isn't sexy but it's a market with a proven history, although the infighting/split bids looks like it'll seriously damage it. 

Curious about Detroit.  High profiles owners and a market they probably badly want.   But the owners want the stadium basically to be given to them (they'll build it but want the land for free, city pays for all the stuff around and for them to tear down a half finished jail they stopped building on)  Plus the Detroit City FC hardcore supporters are really against it and not afraid to voice their opinion.  Not a group that you want to piss off lol

6 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

Seriously the league should just fold instead of expand. It's just crap low-quality soccer spreading like cancer. The quality of play hasn't improved in 10 years and if they're showing "progress" by expanding they're not fooling anyone except for stupid Yanks.

Seriously, this hyperbolic shit has to stop. 

troll or not, a guy's got a right to his opinion. we all do and should be allowed to voice that w/o fear or censor. that is what intelligence is.

nobody ever said u have to believe (or agree) to what other say on this internet thing (my posts included), but whether or not he is correct about it can only be judged by father time and be measured by popular opinion. 

the weird thing is that truths change over time and popular opinion can be called mob mentality.

sorry for another rant.  keep going mls, go to winnipeg (i have a feeling they would be killer).  make the next 10yrs count! 

On 2017-02-04 at 7:30 PM, kungfucious said:

troll or not, a guy's got a right to his opinion. we all do and should be allowed to voice that w/o fear or censor. that is what intelligence is.

nobody ever said u have to believe (or agree) to what other say on this internet thing (my posts included), but whether or not he is correct about it can only be judged by father time and be measured by popular opinion. 

the weird thing is that truths change over time and popular opinion can be called mob mentality.

sorry for another rant.  keep going mls, go to winnipeg (i have a feeling they would be killer).  make the next 10yrs count! 

I actually don't think he's a troll, I just think it's spam because it's the same post every time...

15 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

...unless you're OK with a league of such abysmal quality.

im not ok with that and i sense most on here arent either, but think everybody here recognises a need for professional football this side of the atlantic. thus: the need > crappy (improving) 'soccer'

what im absolutley sure about though,  is that using ure logic, the CPL serves no purpose and if u dare say that aloud, u should desist and make a new username

51 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

....what im absolutley sure about though,  is that using ure logic, the CPL serves no purpose and if u dare say that aloud, u should desist and make a new username

Nah it's about how you say it and how often you say it.

16 hours ago, kungfucious said:

It's not about silencing opinion, it's about ending the spamming. He goes to every forum and posts basically the same post with little adaptation or actually reality to his posts. Opinions are fine, spamming is annoying. BBTB has a real opinion, MisterGuy seems to be someone simply trying to annoy everyone.

16 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

I'm not trying to troll and I'm sorry if I sounded that way. MLS expansion is not a good idea and seriously the league needs to disappear unlike you're OK with a league of such abysmal quality.

Dear Mr.Guy where in the states are you from and when did you defect to Canada? If American soccer is so bad then why did you pick Canada, a nation lower in the FIFA rankings, does much worse in the Gold Cup and WCQ and that is dependant on American leagues and talent at the club level, over Mexico if you value quality so much?

On 03/02/2017 at 0:42 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

...Can no one in Canada outbid Raleigh-Durham or Nashville?

There was talk on a podcast recently about the Edmonton Oilers owners being quite keen on the idea of MLS, but I suspect the lack of an SSS and who would pay for one is the stumbling block.

On Mister215Guy, I suspect 215 is an area code? Have him on ignore and it works, so not in any way bothered by the guy and can recommend using that board function by simply clicking on his username for those getting upset by it, but that might point to him being from the Philadelphia area for those who seem to care.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

....On Mister215Guy, I suspect 215 is an area code? Have him on ignore and it works, so not in any way bothered by the guy and can recommend using that board function by simply clicking on his username for those getting upset by it, but that might point to him being from the Philadelphia area for those who seem to care.

I was thinking it was a pot reference. It's kind of an alternative version of "420 friendly" in some western states. Whatever it is, the @Mister215Guy plot thickens.

Note: He appears to have been banned on the Big Soccer forums

7 hours ago, matty said:

Dear Mr.Guy where in the states are you from and when did you defect to Canada? If American soccer is so bad then why did you pick Canada, a nation lower in the FIFA rankings, does much worse in the Gold Cup and WCQ and that is dependant on American leagues and talent at the club level, over Mexico if you value quality so much?

I support Canada because it has more potential to be competitive than the US and there's more future quality coming up. It's not just quality, but also improvements and progress, which Canada is better than the US currently and will be in the next 5-10 years. If it's only quality, then I would be ass-kissing Argentina or Germany. But no, I admire Canada a lot.

22 minutes ago, Mister215Guy said:

I support Canada because it has more potential to be competitive than the US and there's more future quality coming up. It's not just quality, but also improvements and progress, which Canada is better than the US currently and will be in the next 5-10 years. If it's only quality, then I would be ass-kissing Argentina or Germany. But no, I admire Canada a lot.

Why do you hate America?

1 hour ago, matty said:

Why do you hate America?

I don't have to explain that, do I? Yes, Bigsoccer banned me for badmouthing American soccer and the delusional Americans won't accept the fact that they suck and are bottom-feeders in the world. You should stop with the "shitposting" nonsense about me and although the cartoons are funny they're not really on topic. 

Archived