Jump to content

Marcelo Flores called 'Canadian prodigy'


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not stellar, don't think. It is simply too early. If he'd play for our u-17s or u-19s and we got results with him contributing we'd know better. But he's not stellar, in the way Foden was at this age, or Pedri is now at Barça. Foden was so great in the u-17 World Cup, that was an impact tournament and that is what you need sometimes to judge a player.

Much prefer to have him with us than with Mexico, thrilled in fact. Just trying to gauge the real value going forward.

Hard to disagree with any of that. If he were a Foden or Pedri level talent he would be getting senior calls for Mexico already. Dream senario is that we lock him up and he develops in a way that approaches the level of those players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meaning.... Herdman : "don't worry Arsenal, we never ever actually play any games.  So your guy will never have to travel to Canada or risk getting injured.  Arsenal : "you have our vote!" 

Yeah, but was this according to Herdman? 

In other news, Bryan Cristante has been turned into a CB at Roma.  If only he had committed to us...😩

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not stellar, don't think. It is simply too early. If he'd play for our u-17s or u-19s and we got results with him contributing we'd know better. But he's not stellar, in the way Foden was at this age, or Pedri is now at Barça. Foden was so great in the u-17 World Cup, that was an impact tournament and that is what you need sometimes to judge a player.

Much prefer to have him with us than with Mexico, thrilled in fact. Just trying to gauge the real value going forward.

Well if he's not Foden or Pedri do we even want him ? 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I see what you are saying here. He actually reminds of a smaller, younger, and much better Marco Bustos. It remains to be seen how many goals and assists he'll add to his game, but early returns with the Arsenal U18's seems promising. Plus anytime a North American player displays the traits he does, there is going to be hype, it is understandable.

Even English players are not typically built like this, which may be why he made the Guardian top 60 list or what ever it was. 

I hope he plays for us and turns out to be a good player.

I saw another comment in this thread about how he may be hoping the consequence of this camp is alerting Mexico, so I want to point out the exact things were being said about England-eligible Musah, the 18 year old Valencia winger who won caps for the United States last window. We never know what will happen, but he's looking awful comfortable with the USA now, so hopefully we see something similar with Flores.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/06/from-degaard-to-mastour-what-happened-to-next-generation-2015

I hope the kid plays for us but as you can see from the 2015 list, very few of these players go on to be stars. He has along way to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have folks watched Flores' highlight reel? A lot of twisting and turning in the midfield, a trickiness with the ball. But against the weak opposition he'd see at his level, not all rivals but of course many of them. And a lot of those moves rather inconsequential, not near goal, ending in a back pass, moves a simple passing combination could have garnered him similar results. Not too many goals.

Kinda reminds me of a few kids on my team the last time I played men's league, some had absolutely incredible skill on the ball but didn't do much other than try to dangle a bunch of guys at once. Transfermarkt says he has 3 goals and an assist in 9 games though, didn't see any of them on the highlight video I watched.

I'm not expecting him to reach the Davies/David tier at all, even just breaking into Arsenal would be huge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I see what you are saying here. He actually reminds of a smaller, younger, and much better Marco Bustos. It remains to be seen how many goals and assists he'll add to his game, but early returns with the Arsenal U18's seems promising. Plus anytime a North American player displays the traits he does, there is going to be hype, it is understandable.

Even English players are not typically built like this, which may be why he made the Guardian top 60 list or what ever it was. 

I hope he plays for us and turns out to be a good player.

I saw another comment in this thread about how he may be hoping the consequence of this camp is alerting Mexico, so I want to point out the exact things were being said about England-eligible Musah, the 18 year old Valencia winger who won caps for the United States last window. We never know what will happen, but he's looking awful comfortable with the USA now, so hopefully we see something similar with Flores.

Here are his three goals for the U-18s this season: 

 

 

 

 

Edited by nolando
Link to post
Share on other sites

HAHA, how spoiled we have become.  It used to be if someone got the top flight in Sweden, or Scotland or the championship in England we were excited.  Maybe 1 guy in Bunda etc, now our second tier prospects are guys at Arsenal.....

Just for giggles I looked up the Fifa top clubs, 1-Bayern (Davies), 2 Liverpool (Millar), 32-Lille (David), 36-Rangers (Arfield), 48 Red star (Borjan), 53 Arsenal (Flores), 56 Wolves (Corbaneau).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, Obinna said:

One of the comments, in Spanish, says that England can provide more possibilities for him, while Canada is not going to the World Cup. 

Just a reminder of how much further we have to go to change perceptions around the world. 

It's interesting that his sisters represent Mexico. I wonder what the logic was behind that. Because without a doubt Canada would provide much more opportunities than Mexico when it comes to the women's game. The Mexican women's team has never won an Olympic or World cup game.

The answer is likely either:

A) they feel more Mexican and are proud of their heritage, in which case it is odd Marcelo would give Canada a chance

B. they would rather be a big fish in a small pool, than little fish in a big pond and be given more opportunities to at least make the squad. Which is opposite for the men's squad in regards to Marcelo.

Edited by Stryker911
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, An Observer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/06/from-degaard-to-mastour-what-happened-to-next-generation-2015

I hope the kid plays for us but as you can see from the 2015 list, very few of these players go on to be stars. He has along way to go. 

I actually went through every player on this list. I came up with 12 that likely would be nowhere near our squad. There is about 15 who would be at least good enough to make January's squad. Then there is about 25 that would be in our starting 11 or close to it.  Of those 25, 4 or 5 can be considered stars.

Maybe Flores won't be a star, but the fact that he made this list, to me, indicates he could likely be good enough to be a big part of our squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I do notice is he has a quick release both passing and shooting, hardly tees up anything. His touch is also quite soft. Little technical details I like even more than the spinning, which I think he'll get kicked out of him quickly at a higher level (yes, he'll be fouled or stripped by wilier defenders).

Link to post
Share on other sites

See success breeds success in that when Herdman can say yah you'll be on the field with Alphonso Davis Jonathan David Scott Arfield etc etc.. it means so much more than please come play on a cricket pitch with ham n egger #1 and #2. No disrespect to those guys

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so much time has passed the main purpose is for Herdman and staff to evaluate players for squad selection for WCQ and Olympic qualifying. I think he's just trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit at this point

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

As nice as it sounds, I dont really see how a historically large Premier league team can be impressed with our national team setup. Im a pretty big fan, and I am not generally that impressed with our program.

Ok maybe Flores can go play for Spain? Would that impress Arsenal? Or maybe they can call Brazil and see if there's room in their starting 11? 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...