Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Glad to see he's from a football family. He's more likely to pursue a football career than your average 13 year old with natural ability. Also good to see mom and dad moved to England with him. Hopefully that will allow him to settle quick and just focus on his football.

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, jordan said:

Arsenal has been sniffin for a while

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/981819/Arsenal-transfer-news-Gunners-in-talks-Ipswich-Town-Marcelo-Flores-rumours-gossip   

Report is also echoed in the Mirror, which is almost word for word the same although one picture caption says Mexican-Canadian in the Mirror version.

Dislike the fact both articles consider him a Mexican starlet. :*(    but like the fact they stole his quotes from this article after Ipswich signed him in January 2017  

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/chance-meeting-in-cayman-islands-resulted-in-ipswich-town-signing-canadian-wonderkid-marcelo-flores-1-4863207

Will be able to turn out for England if he stays another 5/6 there and gets residency wont he, just to complicate things? Has he ever turned out for any Canadian youth teams?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Namaste said:

Marcelo Flores has joined Arsenal’s youth set-up.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/34038

As a fan of ITFC this is frustrating, but on the plus side getting several hundred thousand pounds-plus for young teenagers - most of whom will never or barely be pros - seems like good business.

Flores is still so young he can't even enter the MNT discussion, but hopefully the coaches do stay in contact and keep an eye on him for the youth teams in the coming years. I recall his father being very pro-Canadian, but that could change if the son becomes a star and the old home country come knocking.

On the positive side, they still refer to him as a Canadian...so there is still hope.  Maybe if Ballou recommits, David has a break out year in Belgian and we have a good Gold Cup next year with Davies starring again, we can start attracting guys like this to commit to our youth sides especially as we have the World Cup coming in 8 years which would happen when he is 23.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jordan said:

Could  be with England U16 right now? I can’t find a roster to confirm, but this suggests he’s either with England U16 or happened to be there

I don't believe he's eligible for England, just Canada and Mexico. Him and his family have only been in England for a couple years.

Yeah, the English FA would have to ask FIFA for an exemption and the fact that he's in England for footballing reasons disqualifies him. He'll have to wait until his 23rd bday (5 years after age 18) to play for England.

edit: upon reflection, could Ipswich have offered the father a job knowing that was the only way Marcelo could sign for them? He was under 16, he couldn't legally sign for them unless his family moved for non-footballing reasons (the footballing reasons being his fathers reason and not Marcelo's). Is his mother of British heritage maybe? That's another option for him to be eligible.

Edited by jpg75

14 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yeah, the English FA would have to ask FIFA for an exemption and the fact that he's in England for footballing reasons disqualifies him. He'll have to wait until his 23rd bday (5 years after age 18) to play for England.

Then this is good

He can't play for England, ever. Remember the home nations agreement - they don't call up anyone without blood lines who is a football migrant. This is a longstanding policy and although the Scots and even the English have considered breaking it the rule has held firm. The reason is that the nationality is British - not English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish.

Of course, if our boy has 5 years of education in England before turning 18 he would be eligible for England under this home national rule - but I do not think he moved to the UK at age 12.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, BCM1555362349 said:

He can't play for England, ever. Remember the home nations agreement - they don't call up anyone without blood lines who is a football migrant. This is a longstanding policy and although the Scots and even the English have considered breaking it the rule has held firm. The reason is that the nationality is British - not English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish.

Of course, if our boy has 5 years of education in England before turning 18 he would be eligible for England under this home national rule - but I do not think he moved to the UK at age 12.

If that's the case, why would England waste their time inviting him to the U16 camp?

1 hour ago, Protega said:

If that's the case, why would England waste their time inviting him to the U16 camp?

I think that's a misreading of the tweet - seems he was visiting with the Futuro boys (fellow Canadians) who were training with/watching the U16 England. I don't think he was training with the U16 England team.

Equally, why would U16 England call up a player without citizenship? Even if that player may acquire it at a later date, they wouldn't do so. Unless of course, unbeknownst to all of us, he has held a British passport all along.

Anyway, you can read about the home nations agreement online. I can't see how Marcelo will have five years of education in the UK BEFORE turning 18. He therefore wouldn't be eligible for England, unless he has the citizenship now.

48 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Equally, why would U16 England call up a player without citizenship? Even if that player may acquire it at a later date, they wouldn't do so. Unless of course, unbeknownst to all of us, he has held a British passport all along.

I alluded to this in my edit. He officially signed with Ipswich prior to age 16 so he either did so with a UK passport or Ipswich were able to sign him under the guise of him moving there for non-footballing reasons (ie. they argue that the family moved because the father moved for his job with Ipswich) 

41 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I alluded to this in my edit. He officially signed with Ipswich prior to age 16 so he either did so with a UK passport or Ipswich were able to sign him under the guise of him moving there for non-footballing reasons (ie. they argue that the family moved because the father moved for his job with Ipswich) 

I suspect it was the latter (father's job). The reason being is that in none of the ITFC reports - including on the wonderful twtd.co.uk site - do they state or allude to the fact the kid is also British. If he were British, somewhere it would say so - press or club. I can't find it.

13 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I think that's a misreading of the tweet - seems he was visiting with the Futuro boys (fellow Canadians) who were training with/watching the U16 England. I don't think he was training with the U16 England team.

Anyway, you can read about the home nations agreement online. I can't see how Marcelo will have five years of education in the UK BEFORE turning 18. He therefore wouldn't be eligible for England, unless he has the citizenship now.

He wasn't there with the Futuro boys - he was there for the England U16 camp.  Just a coincidence that they were there at the same time, and someone knew the dad and asked him to talk to the boys about his experience in England.

12 minutes ago, Protega said:

He wasn't there with the Futuro boys - he was there for the England U16 camp.  Just a coincidence that they were there at the same time, and someone knew the dad and asked him to talk to the boys about his experience in England.

Can you confirm that he is eligible to play for England?

Edited by ghostknownunknown

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores