Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Good to hear news that his father shows some annoyance with the Mexican Federation - not calling him to the U17 World Cup and not giving him the opportunity to train with the senior team like others his age.

‘Here are 2 translated articles I found:

https://www.explica.co/the-mexican-national-team-neglects-marcelo-flores-and-canada-wants-to-ensure-it.html
(Translated version of a story found in the publication Soy Fútbol)

https://osoyoostoday.ca/marcelo-flores-is-ready-to-attend-the-call-from-canada-to-learn-about-the-project/  (ESPN Spanish)

Edited by TOcanadafan

For those who don’t know the reason Sergino Dest chose the USA was the interest they showed him and how badly they wanted him. It payed off big time for them, and he absolutely knew he was the RB for Holland and that it was their golden group he would go against.

Ayo referenced the same level of interest but from Canada.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Good to hear news that his father shows some annoyance with the Mexican Federation - not calling him to the U17 World Cup and not giving him the opportunity to train with the senior team like others his age.

‘Here are 2 translated articles I found:

https://www.explica.co/the-mexican-national-team-neglects-marcelo-flores-and-canada-wants-to-ensure-it.html
(Translated version of a story found in the publication Soy Fútbol)

https://osoyoostoday.ca/marcelo-flores-is-ready-to-attend-the-call-from-canada-to-learn-about-the-project/  (ESPN Spanish)

In a interview I had seen with father Flores about how Canada was the best country in the world, so happy to be here blah blah blah, was just bs.☹️

6 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I just pray to see the day when all (or most) dual nats pick us first and not because the other nation didn't call them.😉

We could be the best footballing Nation in the world, and there would always be the odd player with ties to another nation and open to the possibility of representing them. Hell, not even England, a proper football nation that's better than Mexico, seems to be able to convince Flores to join their program.

Edited by LeoH037

On 7/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, Bison44 said:

This is crazy..I wonder did Spitfire do this many interviews about Liam's  international soccer path??  Mr Kennedy??  

My wife and I often discuss the "line" for the involvement of a parent of an elite athlete.  It's an interesting discussion.  How much involvement is the right amount?  It is my view that (ideally), a parent provides unconditional love, support and encouragement.  It should be about the fun and participation first, success and achievement second.  That said, winning is fun and addictive and easy to celebrate.  When you are able to support a child that has the internal motivation to be the best that they can be, this is a winning combination.  Ideally, I will never give an interview about Scott.  Only Scott will speak for Scott. 

15 minutes ago, Ian Kennedy said:

My wife and I often discuss the "line" for the involvement of a parent of an elite athlete.  It's an interesting discussion.  How much involvement is the right amount?  It is my view that (ideally), a parent provides unconditional love, support and encouragement.  It should be about the fun and participation first, success and achievement second.  That said, winning is fun and addictive and easy to celebrate.  When you are able to support a child that has the internal motivation to be the best that they can be, this is a winning combination.  Ideally, I will never give an interview about Scott.  Only Scott will speak for Scott. 

Awwww, I wish you were my Dad.  Except I am probably older than you are, HAHAHHA.  But its a weird thing, that someones  career (pro sports), also has this nationalistic aspect that exists on its own.  No one pushed me to first be good at my job, then represent the country doing that job even when the two are at odds sometimes.  I hope you pass on to Scott that the small hard core band of V's wish him good luck next season.  Cross your fingers you and your wife can go to Qatar to watch Scott and NOT do any interviews eh??  

4 hours ago, Ian Kennedy said:

Great post thanks. And what about being your kid's agent? Or intervening in negotiations when he's young? 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great post thanks. And what about being your kid's agent? Or intervening in negotiations when he's young? 

This is a very good question.  Scott has been fortunate in his career so far.  The German scout who recognized his talents is an incredible person who has helped to direct Scott through his climb from the 6th Bundesliga to the 2nd Bundesliga.  My wife and I have met with the scout a number of times and we have a good relationship with him (and fortunately, my wife speaks German).  Scott has always been treated fairly in his career and he's made a living playing soccer.  When the scout was dealing with the trade from Klagenfurt to Regensburg, he brought in the assistance of a seasoned "agent" who he knew well and trusted.  We did not meet the agent (but I have been able to learn about him and due to our trust and relationship with the scout, we are comfortable).  The soccer "business systems/protocols" in Europe are well established and "values" are pretty well established.  While I expect we will continue to be given some insight into this world, we are not of the view that we are competent to lead these kinds of discussions.  Where we are competent (and we can add value and Scott wants our help) we will be happy to help.  Otherwise, I expect we will remain a sounding board for Scott and we will continue to play the role of a "sober second thought" for Scott. 

• 2 weeks later...

It means very little in the grand scheme of things, especially when considering his father Ruben was employed by Ontario soccer and worked throughout Southwestern Ontario for years.  However, Ruben recently replied to Canada Soccer's tweet asking fans for their Top 5 favourite Gold Cup Players of all time.  He replied with his top 5

Edited by Corazon

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It means absolutely in the grand scheme of things, especially when considering his father Ruben was employed by Ontario soccer and worked throughout Southwestern Ontario for years.  However, Ruben recently replied to Canada Soccer's tweet asking fans for their Top 5 favourite Gold Cup Players of all time.  He replied with his top 5

Pretty Good list! Not much different from my own. I would love to find a way to add Carlo Corrazin but wouldn't know who to remove.

23 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Pretty Good list! Not much different from my own. I would love to find a way to add Carlo Corrazin but wouldn't know who to remove.

Agreed. I was going to say that it's a pretty decent list, and it demonstrates that he's familiar with Canadian soccer 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's in the U18s, not the U23s, who don't play until Tuesday. Hopefully, he'll get a game on Tuesday, as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=premier+league+u18+results&oq=Premier+League+U18+results&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j0i22i30l3.9465j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11n_gmt971;2;/g/11b6rh6xxp;dt;fp;1;;

Edited by SthMelbRed
additional info

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Also added an assist on top of his hat trick.

8 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

How many times in this measly article do they claim he's "Mexican"? I count five. It also doesn't mince words when it comes to Canada's/US's penchant for "stealing" players from them...they want him BAD.

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/inglaterra/nota/_/id/9055143/marcelo-flores-anoto-tres-goles-arsenal-piden-llamado-seleccion-mexicana

Can you blame them? Mexico needs all the help they can get with Canada and US getting better and better. Fuck I hope he chooses Canada just so we can drink the salty tears of Mexicans.

6 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

How many times in this measly article do they claim he's "Mexican"? I count five. It also doesn't mince words when it comes to Canada's/US's penchant for "stealing" players from them...they want him BAD.

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/inglaterra/nota/_/id/9055143/marcelo-flores-anoto-tres-goles-arsenal-piden-llamado-seleccion-mexicana

This is the style/take by Loser journalists writing about a Loser national team.

Putin/Trump-ist style of journalism… accuse your rival of potentially doing the exact same thing you’re already doing - Mexico ‘stealing’ David Ochoa (born, raised in US, playing for an MLS team) was just the latest.

1 hour ago, PegCityCam said:

It also doesn't mince words when it comes to Canada's/US's penchant for "stealing" players from them

1. Flores is Canadian, so if anything Mexico's the one doing the "stealing" (if successful).

2. Who's the last Mexico-eligible player to even suit up for Canada at any level? Isidro Sanchez? We're not exactly the Unite States with a huge Mexican diaspora causing these dual-national "fights" between us and them.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores