Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

56 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I accept that is the most likely case, but does Galindo have sources? He does lots of scouting/analytic stuff, but I can't recall him breaking anything.

Flores’s dad has stated this in an article.

getting him into camp with our young talent is key. End of the day I wouldn’t be stunned if we closed the gap on them massively un 5 years. The talent in the MLS academies alone is game changing.

To be fair, I don't think anything he said has been wrong, just lacking context. Yankov really was filing his one time switch, but he still agreed to play for Bulgaria. Flores and Corbeanu accepted callups, but team commitments / travel restrictions were always a real possibility.

Now all of his editorial opinions, I agree, are pretty lacking. He clearly didn't do his research when he made that starting 11, his bizarre insistence that we come home to play in empty stadiums... not to mention his commentating...

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

At this point I am taking everything Wheels says with a huge grain of salt.  

I don't see how Wheeler said/did anything incorrectly here. He said Marcelo was called up (he was) and was going to be in camp (which he would have been had he not pulled out). I guess Wheeler should have gotten his crystal ball out before reporting news?

33 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

To be fair, I don't think anything he said has been wrong, just lacking context. Yankov really was filing his one time switch, but he still agreed to play for Bulgaria. Flores and Corbeanu accepted callups, but team commitments / travel restrictions were always a real possibility.

Now all of his editorial opinions, I agree, are pretty lacking. He clearly didn't do his research when he made that starting 11, his bizarre insistence that we come home to play in empty stadiums... not to mention his commentating...

For the record, Yankov wasn't filing his one time switch.... he didn't even ever have a conversation with Herdman.  Biello called him to talk about the Olympic squad only.  

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

I don't see how Wheeler said/did anything incorrectly here. He said Marcelo was called up (he was) and was going to be in camp (which he would have been had he not pulled out). I guess Wheeler should have gotten his crystal ball out before reporting news?

He was bragging up Yankov coming to us and then he got called to Bulgaria less than a week later.  I listened to Wheels and got whiplash because it went the opposite way so fast.  I'm going to reserve judgment, just because guys say they are an "insider" doesnt always mean they are right.  Kind of like Rollins and Viera going to TFC.  

• 1 month later...

In the Article on Herdman, he mentioned he’s still recruiting Flores and hasn’t given up.

This next year of football will go a long way and likely ultimately decide the winner of the war for him. Mexico is obviously Goliath but I can see us being David if the right combination of the following occurs:

A strong showing (Semi Finals or above) at 

The Gold Cup

Olympic Qualifying 

The Olympics

these tourneys will be crucial, if we can can win the first 2, or head to the finals it will show that we can compete now and that our future is good. 

2022 Qualifying

we have to do well and get to the next round and make some noise, if we do that we become more appealing to him. An upset over Mexico would be amazing for our chances.

Ferdi and Ayo

if we can win the battle for Atleast Ayo I think it will add to our depth and show him that we aren’t just a 3 striker nation, and adding a 10 to push him would be exciting and huge. If we get stronger so do our chances

US/Mexico Duals

if Araujo and Alvarez commit to Mexico, it increases the odds of Flores showing for them, Mexico needs to woo some high end duals or the reality of being surpassed by even us becomes real. They just don’t seem to be producing high potential prospects. The US is and so are we.

Jakheele Marshall Rutty

if the hype is merited he will give us a world class option on the right and a front 3 that will not only be unmatched in concacaf but would be feared world wide.

Our young pros

if they progress and emerge as expected we will have an embarrassment of depth in the midfield and up top, I’m not talking EPL, maybe 1 or 2 of them but some good Championship/MLS players would do wonders for a our bench and our future will look better. 

if the soccer gods respond to our prayers I think a lot could change and we could land him but the above factors need to go our way.

I have a real hard time imagining this kid choosing Canada. His dad is MEGA PRO Mexico, his sister is now on the Mexico women's national team. Friggin XBox Mexico sent him a new Xbox and Marcelo shared it on IG. 

Also his dad just tweeted this article out about the young Mexican maybe going to FC Barcelona.
https://www.elfutbolero.com.mx/liga-mx/2021/2/28/ni-hirving-lozano-ni-raul-jimenez-el-mexicano-que-llegaria-al-fc-barcelona-gracias-rafael-marquez-14662.html

11 minutes ago, grigorio said:

I have a real hard time imagining this kid choosing Canada. His dad is MEGA PRO Mexico, his sister is now on the Mexico women's national team. Friggin XBox Mexico sent him a new Xbox and Marcelo shared it on IG. 

Also his dad just tweeted this article out about the young Mexican maybe going to FC Barcelona.
https://www.elfutbolero.com.mx/liga-mx/2021/2/28/ni-hirving-lozano-ni-raul-jimenez-el-mexicano-que-llegaria-al-fc-barcelona-gracias-rafael-marquez-14662.html

Yes, very little to no chance he chooses us, we move on and wait for the next prodigy!

2 hours ago, grigorio said:

I wanna see what the Xbox looks like.

odds are against us but so much can change over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Somethings in the water and my Spanish is poor but:

https://www.espn.com.mx/futbol/mexico/nota/_/id/8345146/marcelo-flores-selccion-mexicana-canada-robar-convocatoria-preolimpico-concacaf?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I believe he’s not only turned down the U-23 call from us, but is close to a decision. Seems like he’s been called to the senior team again based on Twitter activity and this article.

Biello basically saying theres going to be chances for him to play for us, we’d like to have him, we’re watching him and other countries want him. 

some quotes about El-Salvador in there aswell.

The Canadian project is a saleable one.

Is Mexico an option that will bring a more guaranteed world cup berth.. as a nation yes, although he has to get into it and will have tough competition to do that.

With the emergence of Davies, David etc. and cautious excitement of quite a few more what we could offer players (other than more international minutes) is being part of a potentially history making team. 

He could be a part of pushing to get us to 2022 and we should be automatically at 2026. 

Mexico will most likely always go further in the world cup in his football career lifetime but I also doubt they will win it. 

He could be a history maker and part of the golden Canadian generation with peers in his age group. 

While I wouldn't bank on it, I certainly wouldn't rule that out being attractive and a pulling factor.

There is actually a buzz around Canadian soccer, the national team, the CPL, 3 pretty solid MLS teams. Not sure anyone (including myself) believes it but Canada could be verging on cool. If we made it to a world cup we would almost certainly capture the imagination in the way that Australia, Iceland, Republic of Ireland and other underdog teams have in the past.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

The Canadian project is a saleable one.

Is Mexico an option that will bring a more guaranteed world cup berth.. as a nation yes, although he has to get into it and will have tough competition to do that.

With the emergence of Davies, David etc. and cautious excitement of quite a few more what we could offer players (other than more international minutes) is being part of a potentially history making team. 

He could be a part of pushing to get us to 2022 and we should be automatically at 2026. 

Mexico will most likely always go further in the world cup in his football career lifetime but I also doubt they will win it. 

He could be a history maker and part of the golden Canadian generation with peers in his age group. 

While I wouldn't bank on it, I certainly wouldn't rule that out being attractive and a pulling factor.

There is actually a buzz around Canadian soccer, the national team, the CPL, 3 pretty solid MLS teams. Not sure anyone (including myself) believes it but Canada could be verging on cool. If we made it to a world cup we would almost certainly capture the imagination in the way that Australia, Iceland, Republic of Ireland and other underdog teams have in the past.

I think mid way through his career we’ll be a prennial WC team. Let’s not forget it’s expansion.

Here’s the translation:

Canada wants to 'steal' Marcelo Flores from the lower Mexican National Team

The coach of the U-23 team said that they will do everything possible to try to take him to the team, although they know interest from other selections

The coach of the U-23 National Team of Canada, Mauro Biello, commented that the team will look for Marcelo Flores, who was born in that country, is a member of the Arsenal quarry and has represented Mexico in international tournaments.

"Marcelo is a player that we have obviously been looking for. We would love to have you in this new group. He is a player who is being seen by other selections. And right now Canada is sure to be interested in him as a player. In the future there will be opportunities for the young player and Canada will do everything possible to try to take him to our team," said the Canadian coach.

Marcelo Flores could be part of the project that has been working for a few months in the national teams of Canada, which has as its main objective to train new talents that nourish the different teams at the selection level,

"Yes, this is the first time we have had a U-23 team and the men's national team playing at the same time. We have brought together the most competitive teams possible for both groups. We have to allow some of these young players to show up and help this qualify for the Olympics, but at the same time, you know that you are potentially preparing for a busy summer that is coming with the Men's National Team, whether it is a Gold Cup or a World Cup qualifier in the future."

About El Salvador, rival with whom they will debut in the tournament, Biello commented that the first match is always the key match during the development of a short championship such as the CONCACAF Pre-Olympics.

"El Salvador is traditionally a team that likes to own the ball, a team that you know in attack it likes to combine. It seems that we are looking to face a very good technician in confined and defensively organized spaces. Yes, it is extremely important (to have a good result in the first game). The first game sets the tone for us, we know for sure," he concluded.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores