Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

I couldn't find anything on him in the forums. Apologies if this is redundant.

Local media says he is 13 and are calling him Ipswich Town's "prodigy" and "wonderkid". Father Ruben Flores played in Mexico and for Brampton Hitmen. You may know him as managing KW United a few years ago. Mother Susan also played in Canada. Family was in the Cayman Islands while Dad managed the women's national side and crossed paths with a Town development coach. That coach likens him to Craig Bellamy.

Hopes are high for 13-year-old Canadian prodigy at Ipswich Town

Chance meeting in Cayman Islands resulted in Ipswich Town signing Canadian wonderkid, Marcelo Flores

Dad is Mexican but is quoted in one of the two links above saying:

“It’s great because Ipswich has a fine history with Canadian footballers.

“Frank Yallop, Jason De Vos, Craig Forrest and Simeon Jackson were just some of the names that played here, so there is a strong link.

“It would be nice if Marcelo could be the next Canadian to play for Ipswich.”

Has he ever played for any of our youth teams? I think he'll fly under the radar as long as he's with ipswich, even if he makes it to the first team. Mexico had plenty of domestic talent and I can't see them chasing a youth player in England unless they are playing in the Premiership. It's not really their style.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Has he ever played for any of our youth teams? I think he'll fly under the radar as long as he's with ipswich, even if he makes it to the first team. Mexico had plenty of domestic talent and I can't see them chasing a youth player in England unless they are playing in the Premiership. It's not really their style.

Article says he is only 13.  wouldn't be called until a U15 camp at the earliest.

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

So his claim to fame is that he can bounce a ball a few thousand times without it touching the ground, and that he's been "noticed" by big clubs? This is how young players get big heads.

Not a good way to analyze talent, but damn that's impressive at his age!

Remember some American prodigy at 13 or 14.  What was his name now?  Freddy Who? Something like that.

Good luck to him!  Run with it, man.  The worse thing that's going to happen is he'll have a hell of an experience growing up.  The best thing that could happen is before he knows it he'll be getting mobbed by the Canada supports behind the goal after scoring yet another cracker in World Cup Quantifying.

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

The best thing that could happen is before he knows it he'll be getting mobbed by the Canada supports behind the goal after scoring yet another cracker in World Cup Final

fyp

I get that it's a coping mechanism for Canadian soccer fans (myself included) to be skeptical, cynical, and joke around about our prospects, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable in this case because it's a 13-year old kid. You're kidding yourself if you think he's not googling his own name after this bit of publicity and for me, at least, this thread comes up as the third from the top. We say that Mexico won't pay him much attention, but what he may see is a small group of Canadian fans already questioning loyalty or ability. I'm sure someone will come along and say that as a future professional footballer, he should develop a thick skin anyway, but I don't think this kind of treatment does him *or* us any favours.

I'm glad to see that there are a bunch of positive and hopeful comments as well. I hope he has a great career, wherever it may take him.

Edited by kohanz

9 hours ago, kohanz said:

I get that it's a coping mechanism for Canadian soccer fans (myself included) to be skeptical, cynical, and joke around about our prospects, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable in this case because it's a 13-year old kid. You're kidding yourself if you think he's not googling his own name after this bit of publicity and for me, at least, this thread comes up as the third from the top. We say that Mexico won't pay him much attention, but what he may see is a small group of Canadian fans already questioning loyalty or ability. I'm sure someone will come along and say that as a future professional footballer, he should develop a thick skin anyway, but I don't think this kind of treatment does him *or* us any favours.

I'm glad to see that there are a bunch of positive and hopeful comments as well. I hope he has a great career, wherever it may take him.

Fair point. I think we all hope for the best and wish the kid well. But we, and he, must understand that he's now in an academy - - a long way from being a professional. The hard work starts now. The kid may make it, but the vast majority of 16 year old academy kids do not. He's not even at that stage of development. No expectations or unsure pressure, just wish of luck.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:38 AM, Fullback said:

I don't really get how anything positive can come from hyping up a kid at such a young age. Just adds unneeded pressure

If you do it right, you could end up with a world class star. Otherwise you end up with Freddy Adu and Canada doesn't need such players. We do everything better than the US.

10 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

If you do it right, you could end up with a world class star. Otherwise you end up with Freddy Adu and Canada doesn't need such players. We do everything better than the US.

Ignoring the advice that has been provided to continue the shitposting eh?  Your call.  Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:44 PM, Saviola7 said:

I showed my 12 year old the article; last summer he could regularly do 200 - now he has a new goal.

My kid could keep the ball up indefinitely at this age as well, walk up and down the field. Impresses when you see it, for sure, but has little to do with real footballing. Yes, almost all pros can do this handily, it is one of those skills like tennis players keeping the ball up with the edge of the racket, or basketballs spinning on fingers. 

The real question, IMO, is if this translates to an overall enthusiasm for improving in every facet of the game. My kid lost a bit of this as he got older, had tougher coaches, sat on the bench or was not called in. Hard knocks. If you want to play football pro, or even semi, you have to sustain the passion throughout the teen years, assess your real ability honestly, stay focused--all pretty hard to do. 

All these guys we report playing for minimum wage in levels no better than PDL, some of them truly amaze me, the committment they show to persist at what they want to do.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:38 PM, Fullback said:

I don't really get how anything positive can come from hyping up a kid at such a young age. Just adds unneeded pressure

Before Messi came along at Barça our most hyped youth player ever was a kid from Nigeria, Haruna Babandiga. I watched him a lot, until Barça B, where he was fast as hell and could score, but was offside a lot too. His brain refused to adjust his talent to the game he was playing. 

Recently a player from some amateur lower division near here was offered a contract, out of the blue, in Malta, and he went for a week, none of the contract terms were fulfilled, they gave him a shack with no water or light to live in. He came back and had something to laugh about. And reporting his adventure to the press it came out that on this team, Mosto, Babandiga was still plying his trade age 33. 

Even when Messi began here, maybe because he was so tiny and then got injured immediately, the best player was a kid named Mendy, who never made it pro. At age 13 he was probably the most prolific goal scorer of his age in Spain. He was the star of Messi's first team. Of all those kids, playing for a major club at Marcelo Flores age (much higher level than he is), only two made it pro other than Messi, one fourth tier, while only one is making a living at the game as an adult. 

If you can make it to pro level into your twenties, then you are probably going to have a career. Even at 18 there is much less guarantee, lots of kids on top clubs fall by the way in their late teens, those years are critical. 

It really is a fine line between exhibiting some exceptional skill and becoming a pro anything isn't it?  And for so many it really does come down to so much mental fortitude.  Regardless of the sport.  A bit of luck, perseverance and inherent adaptability as well I guess.  It's been said before but there's more than a bit of truth in, you have to have a hunger.

Now how you get that extra something into your heart and head I don't know.  Born with it?  Learned through circumstance? Don't know.  If i did I'd bottling it, sell it and be a rich Cheetah today but I don't so it's off to the machine shop tomorrow AM for yours truly.  

But I hope young Mr. Flores has it, can find it, or learns it.  Really do. 

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores