Julian de Guzman

Zem

Surprised there isn't a topic for him yet, but better late than never I guess.

The Ottawa Fury are making a "big announcement" this afternoon at 2:00 ET (in an hour) and it's widely rumoured to be the announcement of Julian's retirement and his addition to Ottawa's coaching staff. The press conference will be streamed on the Fury's facebook page.

Edited by Zem

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hopefully it does not turn out like Dasovic's stint with TFC. Get rid of the interm title, make it official!!  I hope Ottawa is rewarded with success for giving a CDN a shot.  Having CDN in high level coaching/management positions goes hand in hand with CDN player development.  

This is his first year of coaching. There is a lot to learn. Its better for him to get the interim title. That way if they don't think he is ready yet they can just hire another coach. If they make him head coach and he isn't quite ready then there will be all these stories about how Julian de Guzman lost his job as head coach. It wouldn't be good for de Guzman. His career would definitely take a hit. With the Interim title it covers both their butts for now.

28 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Marc Dos Santos

Martin Nash

Paul Dalglish

Dos Santos left for an opportunity at Sporting KC/Swope Park Rangers.  Nash was never the main man.  And Dalglish...less said, the better.  I don't know what you mean by the Fury not able to keep coaches.  What has happened in the past is pretty normal.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

No. They are also in a playoff spot by PPG and had a good cup run this year. Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

Well I started giving my tickets away mid way through last season, I bought two sets of season tickets. It became painful to watch, inconsistent, he never took accountability. Promised exciting soccer we don't get that. 

When I run into supporters at the games it was always like "will he get sacked after this game"

Fury played a solid away game last Saturday against Tampa Bay Rowdies. Extremely difficult to break down defensively and had some scoring chances in a 1-1 draw where they controlled the match for large spells.

It's a solid start for JDG as a coach, at least in terms of motivating players to buy into a system.

Edited by Red and White

• 4 years later...