Wondering if CPL will sign a jersey deal with a major corporate sponsor?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, matty said:

I made a joke that failed earlier about New Balance doing the CPL jerseys so weird that this question was posted. I'm pretty sure Umbro (due to their CSA relationship) or Adias (due to their CFL relationship) will end up handling it.

Do you think such a deal is vital for the CPL? And how much would Adidas, Umbro, Puma, Under Armour or even New Balance will pay? $20 or 25M

Just now, Pat Carrasco said:

Do you think such a deal is vital for the CPL? And how much would Adidas, Umbro, Puma or even New Balance will pay? $20 or 25M

I imagine it would be less. Not sure what the CFL's deal with Adidas is but I imagine it'd be half of that

3 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Do you think such a deal is vital for the CPL? And how much would Adidas, Umbro, Puma, Under Armour or even New Balance will pay? $20 or 25M

Right from the get go on an unproven and risky league? I imagine it will be closer to the $20.00 figure you mentioned than the $25,000,000 figure.

Adidas pays MLS 25M per year to be the jersey producer. We're obviously nowhere near that ballpark, but it is plausible the league could get something . I'd be curious as to what MLS attracted in 1996. NASL doesn't have a unified shirt producer, but that likely has more to do with structure that ability to attract dollars. 

I'm more curious about individual shirt sponsors. If the larger NASL teams are getting 1M per year for shirt sponsor, you'd think CPL could at least attract 500k in most markets 

8 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm more curious about individual shirt sponsors. If the larger NASL teams are getting 1M per year for shirt sponsor, you'd think CPL could at least attract 500k in most markets 

Until it becomes clear what markets would be involved and whether games would be televised on an easily accessed  basic cable channel rather than something like Rogers cable that doesn't seem like a safe assumption to me. I'd also be wary of figures taken from wikipedia as it may be a bit like David Beckham's $250 million contract with MLS in that the headline grabbing number depended on an exceedingly unlikely set of performance bonuses.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/11/30/david-beckham-departs-mls-after-earning-255-million/#2b0d6fbc2b

David Beckham signed a contract in January 2007 to join the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. Adding the world's most famous soccer player generated a massive amount of attention for the upstart league. His deal was widely reported to be for $250 million over five years. The reality is the $250 million was the potential earnings for Beckham from all sources on and off the field. His base salary was $6.5 million a year and he received a percentage of Galaxy revenue that brought the total to $50 million over the five years.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Until it becomes clear what markets would be involved and whether games would be televised on an easily accessed  basic cable channel rather than something like Rogers cable that doesn't seem like a safe assumption to me. I'd also be wary of figures taken from wikipedia as it may be a bit like David Beckham's $250 million contract with MLS in that the headline grabbing number depended on an exceedingly unlikely set of performance bonuses.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/11/30/david-beckham-departs-mls-after-earning-255-million/#2b0d6fbc2b

David Beckham signed a contract in January 2007 to join the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. Adding the world's most famous soccer player generated a massive amount of attention for the upstart league. His deal was widely reported to be for $250 million over five years. The reality is the $250 million was the potential earnings for Beckham from all sources on and off the field. His base salary was $6.5 million a year and he received a percentage of Galaxy revenue that brought the total to $50 million over the five years.

Yeah that's fair, regarding Wikipedia valuations. 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Until it becomes clear what markets would be involved and whether games would be televised on an easily accessed  basic cable channel rather than something like Rogers cable that doesn't seem like a safe assumption to me.

Both are very true. A league with teams outside of most of the CFL/NHL markets and zero national TV will not be signing any big advertising deals. Even in the age of streaming shit online, TV is still the best way to find a mass audience and make that advertiser moolah.

In all likelihood, there will not be a manufacturer deal for the first few years aside from say Umbro or Dry World providing jerseys for free and selling them online.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Both are very true. A league with teams outside of most of the CFL/NHL markets and zero national TV will not be signing any big advertising deals. Even in the age of streaming shit online, TV is still the best way to find a mass audience and make that advertiser moolah.

In all likelihood, there will not be a manufacturer deal for the first few years aside from say Umbro or Dry World providing jerseys for free and selling them online.

Sadly, I have to agree with this assessment. That being said, I could see Dry World making a leap. So far they've kept their brand with a pretty small footprint, only focusing on a few teams. Being a Canadian company is where the brand synergy could come into play. If they wanted to make a bit of a splash, I could see them doing a short 1 or 2-year league-wide contract. We're only talking 8-teams, so their outlay shouldn't overload their current production capacity and it could have some pretty good benefits for them as a company if the whole thing is marketed correctly. That being said, I don't see them paying a large sum to the CanPL in order to have the rights for the 1 or 2 years. Maybe a significantly smaller sum, max $5 mil more likely $1 mil.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I heard the CPL is using this thread to get a bidding war going. 

My unnamed, possibly real, performance garment company will sponson this league for eleventy million dollars

In reality, it seems Dry World also make kits for QPR and a few Brazilian clubs. Overall their work is pretty nice.

I would be happy if they took on the CPL pro-bono as long as they put in a proper effort and craft a unique look for each club. That being said I'm sure the team owners would like to squeak out some sweet sweet sponsorship cash. 

Archived