Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Can't say I've followed Maund's career to closely, but he's had a decent career in MLS. Straith hasn't played at a MLS level club in 5 years. They are the same age and Maund is a proven MLS player, Straith is a wild card who is likely more expensive and requires an international roster spot. The fact that Straith lost out at CB to Vitoria, Jakovic, and James for Gold Cup minutes isn't a great sign either, as there isn't a great argument any of the three would be anything but MLS bench players themselves. 

So, you haven't followed his career but you have no problem dictating exactly what his skill level is?  Interesting.  I wish I had that type of second sight.

16 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm sure some TFC fans will have fond memories of Aaron Maund in central midfield during Mariner's caretaker time as manager;).  He and Dunfield, together on one great K-Tel album!

Was it Mariner or Winter who started the season with nine straight losses?  Either way, I remember watching that closely and Maund was always a 70th or 80th minute substitution and was always right in the middle of the action when TFC would give up the late goal.  Trace it back and Aaron Maund and Tobias Time are forever interlocked.  Good luck with that project, VWFC.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So, you haven't followed his career but you have no problem dictating exactly what his skill level is?

I'd love for you to point out where I "dictated exactly what his skill level is". All I did was point out that he's a proven MLS player as he's played 80 games and been in the league for 5 years. How is that dictating his exact skill level?

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

I'd love for you to point out where I "dictated exactly what his skill level is". All I did was point out that he's a proven MLS player as he's played 80 games and been in the league for 5 years. How is that dictating his exact skill level?

"Proven MLS player" (based solely on the number of games played) > someone who has never played in MLS

That doesn't actually work if you don't take into account actual skill level.

Making grand proclamations based on how many games someone has played in MLS is a fools errand. 

A fifth of Maund's games were in a TFC uniform where he was an absolute horror show.  For the other games, he was an occasional starter on a mediocre team.  If games played in MLS is an indicator of capability, then Canada really missed out on a chance to start the citizenship process with Chad Barrett or Dan Gargan.  It would've been worth it to convince them to buy a house in Canada and maintain residency just to get them on the team.

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

"Proven MLS player" (based solely on the number of games played) > someone who has never played in MLS

That doesn't actually work if you don't take into account actual skill level.

Making grand proclamations based on how many games someone has played in MLS is a fools errand.

Nobody hits 80 caps in a league by not being good enough to play in the league. Vitoria is pretty unarguably better than Straith IMO and got sent packing after 18 MLS games. Not to say that Maund is better than Vitoria, as with anywhere in the world it comes down to "are they good enough for the money they want".

15 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Nobody hits 80 caps in a league by not being good enough to play in the league. Vitoria is pretty unarguably better than Straith IMO and got sent packing after 18 MLS games. Not to say that Maund is better than Vitoria, as with anywhere in the world it comes down to "are they good enough for the money they want".

Vitoria got "sent packing" from Philly because he was not going to get paid what was needed for him to stay there. He was getting paid well at Benfica and is getting paid well in Poland. Philly was not willing to pay that salary to extent the loan or buy him.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Vitoria got "sent packing" from Philly because he was not going to get paid what was needed for him to stay there. He was getting paid well at Benfica and is getting paid well in Poland. Philly was not willing to pay that salary to extent the loan or buy him.

Right. As I said the primary roster-building question in MLS is "are they good enough for the money they want". He wasn't.

On 2017-08-10 at 4:48 PM, harrycoyster said:

Oh good, I love this game.

Why didn't they go for Nana Attakora though?  He's got 70 MLS caps!  Or Ashtone Morgan?  He's got 100 MLS caps.  Which begs the question, why isn't Morgan the anchor in our backline with all those MLS caps?  Or is that reserved for Doneil Henry and his 70 MLS caps?

In 2015 Vitoria was getting paid $400 000 per year and Maund was making $63 000 per year. Currently Maund is making $175 000, still less than half of Vitoria's salary. I suspect his current salary was the main reason RSL traded him to Vancouver for next to nothing. I am pretty sure if Vitoria had been making anywhere from $60 000 to $175 00 he would have had a long career in MLS as a starter. Maund has stuck around so long mostly because he was cheap and in a salary cap league that is a very important factor in who gets signed (and brings down the level of the league by favouring cheap players like Maund over better players like Vitoria).

On 8/12/2017 at 8:31 AM, Grizzly said:

In 2015 Vitoria was getting paid $400 000 per year and Maund was making $63 000 per year. Currently Maund is making $175 000, still less than half of Vitoria's salary. I suspect his current salary was the main reason RSL traded him to Vancouver for next to nothing. I am pretty sure if Vitoria had been making anywhere from $60 000 to $175 00 he would have had a long career in MLS as a starter. Maund has stuck around so long mostly because he was cheap and in a salary cap league that is a very important factor in who gets signed (and brings down the level of the league by favouring cheap players like Maund over better players like Vitoria).

I just love salary caps...

On 8/12/2017 at 7:31 AM, Grizzly said:

Don't forget the fact that Maund is domestic and Vitoria was an international. Straith would be as well.

11 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

JBB with 10 caps, retired at 24

Jaime Peters with 26 caps retired at 25

Countless more I'd say, just the first two to pop in my head

And for a lot of these players toiling in lower divisions, making poor money and delaying entry into a different career path is a bad move and retirement is the logical choice. C'est la vie.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, Blackjack15 said:

Oh come on now! How can he retire? He's 26 years old 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

And for a lot of these players toiling in lower divisions, making poor money and delaying entry into a different career path is a bad move and retirement is the logical choice. C'est la vie.

Yeah, with respect to lower div. pro-spots, if you've hit your mid-twenties and you're still barley scratching a living, cutting bate and moving on with your life, and maybe getting a CIS scholarship, isn't a bad call.

25 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Yeah, with respect to lower div. pro-spots, if you've hit your mid-twenties and you're still barley scratching a living, cutting bate and moving on with your life, and maybe getting a CIS scholarship, isn't a bad call.

Some lower division gigs are worth six figures in Euros. Straith falls into this category of player

Edited by matty

29 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Hey, if you love what you're doing, you're wanted by a club, and are able to pay the bills with what they offer you for a contract, then why not keep going with it? 

Edited by BearcatSA

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Hey, if you love what you're doing, you're wanted by a club, and are able to pay the bills with what they offer you for a contract, then why not keep going with it? 

Because it's worth it to you personally. Sure, these guys probably love playing professional soccer. But maybe they hate the constant bouncing around from team to team, country to country. And maybe they also really like the idea of doing whatever their next profession would be. Maybe with your soccer career comes a lot of other hardships, but you could have a better life if you took a different job. Maybe they are tired of the instability and want a regular job.