BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

28 minutes ago, rydermike said:

The one on the scarf is different than the temporary logo from a couple weeks ago (the one on wikipedia right now). Look at the image posted in this thread with the Whitecaps unveiling on the Scarf they are holding. If you click the link you can see the logo has been photoshopped out on the sides of the scarf since, but the original photo is still showing on the photo above the link and I zoomed in below. The fact they have photoshopped it out basically confirms that this is the official logo, which is what I was referring to and was an accidental leak. It specifically says "Canadian League1 BC", the temporary logo only shows League1 BC.

wwwww.png

Ah, yes. Either they leaked something or they made up another place holder, but it's definitely different from their other logo.

15 hours ago, rydermike said:

The League logo is interesting. Notice it says Canadian League1 BC. Could be the beginning of a national branding for the 3 semi-pro leagues.

Also, I noticed, they have since photoshopped out that logo on the scarf. Gives credence to a further announcement coming about the logo/branding.

Could this be what League 1 Ontario's Dino Rossi was referring to? "We have some big and exciting things coming down the pipe this week and which I believe will alter the landscape of League1 Ontario in a very positive way as we prepare for a return to normal with the 2022 season,” Rossi said. “I won't say anything more right now but I'm sure the news will create some buzz in our soccer community."

It has been assumed he was hinting at the recent expansion teams, but this would be bigger.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, CDNFootballer said:

League1 BC's Whitecaps team home stadium, National Soccer Development Centre  :

NSDC-soccer-field-1-ME-1440x960.jpg

Please tell me this isn't where they would play, or if they will, that seating of some sort will be added?

The whole f#$@!&% point is to provide a pro (or at least semi-pro) league attractive to spectators and sponsors.

18 hours ago, ted said:

Please tell me this isn't where they would play, or if they will, that seating of some sort will be added?

The whole f#$@!&% point is to provide a pro (or at least semi-pro) league attractive to spectators and sponsors.

Agreed, It's lacking in seating options from the look of it and the steps on the end in the second pic don't cut it. Hopefully they open the fencing on one side and add some seating somehow.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, ted said:

Nope.

Why would PFC spend extra money on running a team in this league when they can just do loans with the Highlanders? 

Why would the league want to cannibalize the already limited market by putting two teams in the CRD?

1-To have more players in their structure

2-To have more clubs on Van Isle

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

I would have to think that the next big announcement for League 1 BC will be the TSS Rovers and Victoria Highlanders formally joining the league after there departure from USL. Wonder where the next five will come from? 

It's been reported that some the other teams are connected to universities ( like Guelph United with the UofG in L1O). 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, Watchmen said:

I have not listened to the Cones & Pinnies podcast (BC Soccer's in house podcast done by Peter Schaad), but it's a discussion of the new league.  I do know that they say there will be 7 teams to start with next year.  Listening to AFTN's latest podcast, it sounds like there's some VMSL teams that are upset about not being included in the new league.  But, as they discuss on it, when BC Soccer first tried to get a League 1 up and running back in about 2016, all teams were approached and BC Soccer had only 1 or 2 teams in the entire province interested.  So, they've come back now with a new league designed to be above the VMSL in the Canadian pyramid, and I have no sympathy for the teams that wanted the "status quo" and are now being left behind while the rest of the country/province tries to advance.

Yeah, as much as I loved attending VMSL matches, the politics can be parochial AF. Guys moaning about not wanting to travel to the Island, etc.

On 10/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, ted said:

Much like the MLS reserve teams that used to play in the USL PDL, I expect they're there for name power but won't draw much for their home games. UBC can be a pain to get to for the suburban motordom crowd.

11 minutes ago, ted said:

Here's the new home, same as the old home? 

Or did AFTN somehow think that a club's "home" is the league they are in? LOL

Ha, yeah he was going for the home being which league they were in after 2 years of no games. Good to have them back. Looking forward to some sunny days at Swangard again.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Much too small of a market if you ask me. Kelowna yes, though, as you need a team in the Okanagan, imo.

I think they league already said they were planning for a team in the interior?  But not sure if they meant "this year" or in the future.  And I could see them angling for a team in both markets at some point, if only to reduce some travel.  I could see them going for Victoria and Nanaimo teams for the same reason.

16 hours ago, nolando said:

Much too small of a market if you ask me. Kelowna yes, though, as you need a team in the Okanagan, imo.

I think that Kelowna is on the list for CanPL and Penticton might work for L1BC. Smaller communities can sometimes leverage support for teams far better than larger ones can. 

22 hours ago, nolando said:

Could always be a partnership. Penticton SC could partner with a club from Kelowna to form a joint club in L1BC, and that's why they have a spot on the website. They're ~60km apart. More or less the same distance as Aurora and Barrie and those two clubs are both part of Simcoe County Rovers. There are several joint partnerships in L1O - Alliance (WexfordSC/MarkhamSC), Hamilton United (3 hamilton clubs), Scrosoppi (MiltonSC/Brampton SC), FC Oshawa (OshawaKicks/FCDurham), Darby FC (WhitbySC/Darlington SC), SimcoeRovers(BarrieSC/AuroraFC/AIFC). Great way to develop and extend their pathways, especially for smaller clubs who might not be able to handle it on their own.

I think we just naturally always think of it being a one-city team, but L1O has shown that regional teams are effective

Edited by rydermike

Some possible news.......

image.png.c3f728d6eb47a984fa6a6cb8a6cdce08.png

Also:  https://www.kwsl.net/?page_id=4009

Kamloops Women’s Soccer League Society AGM Minutes 2020

"Donation to new BC Soccer - League 1 team (Kamloops Rivers Football Club)
i. A group of people have made a successful bid to create a team in Kamloops
to join the semi pro league. It was brought to KWSL attention that the men's
team has made a donation to help support the endeavour. The group asked
that we bring it forward to our members.
ii. A donation will not happen presently, as we are running at a deficit this
year, but we may choose to revisit this next year."

• 2 weeks later...