BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

Thinking about it, I'm sure that the current Voyagers Cup plan is for BCL1's 2022 winner to join the Cup in 2023, but it would be nice if the league could hold a tournament of some sort to get an entry in for 2022.  Just another method to promote the league, and help establish where it is in the Canadian pyramid (ie above VMSL, FVSL, VISL).

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Thinking about it, I'm sure that the current Voyagers Cup plan is for BCL1's 2022 winner to join the Cup in 2023, but it would be nice if the league could hold a tournament of some sort to get an entry in for 2022.  Just another method to promote the league, and help establish where it is in the Canadian pyramid (ie above VMSL, FVSL, VISL).

Random draw for BC League 1 representation in 2022 would work for me.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'd be cool with them doing something, as long as it isn't as stupid as the way they decided the first CPL team to go to the CONCACAF League.

Regarding the V-Cup question: I think you have to deserve a spot and play for it. You qualify, otherwise you are not respecting the principle. 

The only time random draws work, as I have seen them done in cups, is when you are dealing with an unequal number of teams, and you draw for a side already qualified to get a bye to help work out the match-ups.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, Ansem said:

The wind through Centennial stadium is absolutely punishing. Running repeat 350’s/450’s there on December nights made me question my sanity, and it was always against the wind on the finish straight. For a track stadium though, the sight lines are actually pretty good since the track sits lower than the stands.

19 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm thankful this league is up and running.  But wow, this is not the location I expected for another team. Not when the Whitecaps I assume will be running their team in the exact same area (if not the same stadium).  So, a little disappointed they couldn't get another location in to the mix, but glad they've finally got the league going. Hope other teams jump on board in future years.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm thankful this league is up and running.  But wow, this is not the location I expected for another team. Not when the Whitecaps I assume will be running their team in the exact same area (if not the same stadium).  So, a little disappointed they couldn't get another location in to the mix, but glad they've finally got the league going. Hope other teams jump on board in future years.

Varsity is at UBC, Whitecaps are at the National Soccer Centre. The two are 500 metres apart. Crazy how close they are

Edited by rydermike

Been thinking about the Voyageurs Cup.

The 2019 edition started on May 15.

With 7 teams you could have a random draw and single elimination knock out tournament to decide a rep.

Sure 1 team would get a bye to the semis.

But you only need 3 match days to make it work. 

The winner could play Pacific in the Voyageurs Cup proper.

Edited by narduch

On 12/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, narduch said:

Been thinking about the Voyageurs Cup.

The 2019 edition started on May 15.

With 7 teams you could have a random draw and single elimination knock out tournament to decide a rep.

Sure 1 team would get a bye to the semis.

But you only need 3 match days to make it work. 

The winner could play Pacific in the Voyageurs Cup proper.

I wouldn't include the Whitecaps team in that. I'd stick to just the 6 independent clubs.

But also, we know there's been L1O and Quebec clubs that haven't even wanted to participate in the Cup as the costs are too high. So, I'd inquire as to which ones want to and then build the tournament from there.

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

The Whitecaps would automatically be excluded, as far as I know the L1O and PLSQ champions have not declined to participate over the years.

Has it ever been confirmed that D3 MLS academy teams are actually excluded like the pro reserve teams have? We have never been in a situation where they could have qualified until now. In the US all the pro reserve teams are excluded but teams in the USL 2/PDL have not.

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

The Whitecaps would automatically be excluded, as far as I know the L1O and PLSQ champions have not declined to participate over the years.

I do not think than any winner has declined, but I've heard that some teams further down the standings are not interested in participating due to costs.

36 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Has it ever been confirmed that D3 MLS academy teams are actually excluded like the pro reserve teams have? We have never been in a situation where they could have qualified until now. In the US all the pro reserve teams are excluded but teams in the USL 2/PDL have not.

I don't think so, but I also don't think there's anything to be gained by allow them in.  If you're on this forum you like this tournament, but we also all know that we're in the minority. There's nothing to be gained by one of us having to explain to a non-soccer or even a casual fan why the Whitecaps are playing Whitecaps U23 (as an example) when any of the other 6 teams in the league would do just as well.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do not think than any winner has declined, but I've heard that some teams further down the standings are not interested in participating due to costs.

Is this something akin to when I ruled myself out from dating Jennifer Aniston after her breakup with Brad Pitt?

39 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Is this something akin to when I ruled myself out from dating Jennifer Aniston after her breakup with Brad Pitt?

You fool!

But I think this was more in relation to an explanation on why the Canadian Championship didn't expand to include more L1O and PLSQ.