Ashley Lawrence

shermanator

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for Ashley Lawrence, so figured I would start one. She is being linked with a move to PSG Feminine, where the money will most certainly be better than she would have gotten in NWSL. Get that money, Ashley!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kadeisha-buchana-and-ashley-lawrence-to-make-decisions-on-post-college-career/article33462082/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://canal-supporters.com/2017/01/ashley-lawrence-officiellement-au-psg/

Another article confirming this but also stating that she will play the left back spot which makes good sense since she is left footed. But I am sure PSG will use her in different positions when they realize how versatile she is.

Ashley is a two footed player by that I mean she can strike the ball with either foot. And because of this she can play either wing without any difficulties plus because she can break defenders down with her dribble and hold the ball up, she may end up playing in the midfield as PSG experiment with her versatile talents.

Congratulations to Ashley, I'm sure this experience with PSG will only do her well especially since she can compete right away for the Champions League trophy.

Admitedly, I don't know the women's club game very well, but I have to think that Lawrence's signing with PSG (and Buchanan's signing with Lyon if it becomes official) are the biggest club signings in Canadian women's soccer history. Am I alone in this line of thinking? 

They stated in the article I put up "left corner" which means left back but I'm sure the coach who I hear is very good will experiment and realize how good she is holding the ball up and dribbling at defenders to create room. I'm willing to guess that she will have stints in the midfield sooner rather then later.

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Admitedly, I don't know the women's club game very well, but I have to think that Lawrence's signing with PSG (and Buchanan's signing with Lyon if it becomes official) are the biggest club signings in Canadian women's soccer history. Am I alone in this line of thinking? 

Bélanger signing at Rosengard and Schmidt at Frankfurt are about the same as Lawrence at PSG. Lawrence at PSG may be seen bigger because many casual soccer fans know about PSG, but probably not about the other two clubs. 

If Buchanan signs at Lyon, it will be for sure the biggest.

Good to see Lawrence & likely Buchanan take this route. Yes, the money is better but excited how it should help with their tactical awareness and technical skills. 

This will also show younger players that there is now 2 or 3 viable pathways to make some decent money as a women's football player rather than getting a scholarship as being the end game.

Plus, maybe they'll learn some French that will help integrate Quebec players better on the national team and get better media exposure on Quebec tv.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

Plus, maybe they'll learn some French that will help integrate Quebec players better on the national team and get better media exposure on Quebec tv.

No way it gives more media exposure on Quebec TV. Many reasons why, but the first reason is that they're not Quebecers. Clara Hughes is the exception. Can't name any other athlete that was loved here from Canada. RDS or TVA Sports isn't sending someone to Vancouver or Toronto for a friendly.  

9 hours ago, rkomar said:

Out of curiosity, have Lawrence and Buchanon finished school at WVU?  Or are they taking courses remotely, or elsewhere.  Or deferring their degrees, or just dropping out?  I haven't seen any mention of this.

I don't know, but here's one thing I know, it was their last game playing from WVU no matter what. I don't think that it would be mentioned in articles because those are personal questions and the player has the right to say if she wants to say what is going on with her education or not mention it at all. 

11 hours ago, rkomar said:

Out of curiosity, have Lawrence and Buchanon finished school at WVU?  Or are they taking courses remotely, or elsewhere.  Or deferring their degrees, or just dropping out?  I haven't seen any mention of this.

WVU is in winter break until Monday, so Lawrence could have flown over to see teams, do training, and sign a contract, and then finish up her degree if she doesn't join PSG until afterwards. Or she could have arranged things so she finished her requirements last semester. Don't know that's what's happening of course, just mentioning possibilities.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:48 AM, Benjamin Massey said:

WVU is in winter break until Monday, so Lawrence could have flown over to see teams, do training, and sign a contract, and then finish up her degree if she doesn't join PSG until afterwards. Or she could have arranged things so she finished her requirements last semester. Don't know that's what's happening of course, just mentioning possibilities.

Okay, it's probably not that. Lawrence made her PSG debut today in the Coupe de France against Bourges 18. PSG won 19-0.

Cristiane scored seven.

PSG's brief recap mentioned Lawrence's first game.

I know that it is Cup but Division 1 is well-known for it's imbalance.  The top 3-4 teams perennially shred the bottom feeders by massive scorelines.  It's as regular as the sun coming up in the morning.  The top teams are Lyon, PSG, Montpellier and in the past the amateurs in Juvisy.  Looks a bit better this year but in the past it's been pretty savage and brutal.

http://www.psg.fr/fr/Actus/003001/Article/78512/Ashley-Lawrence-la-jeunesse-galopante

• 3 months later...

Lawrence is in Barcelona for PSG this week for the Champions league semi final first leg. I was musing about going then, voilà, turns out the game sold out a few days ago. That must be 17,000 or so in the Mini Estadi, going to still try to find tix.

The other semi is Lyon at Man City, I agree that OL is the strongest team left on paper, they are deeper than PSG.

PSG totally dominated us, especially first half, and Ashley was great, I thought she was impeccable. She played up high in the midfield as a kind of advanced right back, passing well and keeping possession, strong breaking into space and taking on a few defenders. Then, when they scored their first, she dropped back, also because a player beside her had gotten a yellow and I think they wanted her to cover more. Barça goal poached from a long ball was not her fault.

PSG has great possession, are confident, and were really superior to Barça. They moved well on and off the ball, inside and around, and were quicker and in control throughout. Though they did not in fact get a lot of chances, they scored their first two, very well (great Christiane header on a perfect cross). Second half Barça got one back and it ended 1-3

Lyon got the same away result at Man City, so an all-French final in Cardiff is looking like a possibility. For Barça, getting here was a great step, still think we were a bit intimidated and underperformed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 2017-4-30 at 5:00 PM, red card said:

It will be Lawrence vs Buchanan in Champions League Final in Cardiff. Haven't seen Buchanan with Lyon yet but Lawrence looked world elite 11 in the semis against Barca.

I did not watch the match, and missed the ratings in the match reports today (on paper but not online). In any case it seems Barça did better 2nd leg, PSG scored on a penalty and an own goal and the Parisians pretty well played to not get scored on. 

Lyon lost 0-1 at home to Man City. 

I'm secretly hoping Barça decides they need to sign a few more internationals to help out, like some of the rising Canadians.