Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

35 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Wasn't at fault for the goal but wasn't as prominent as last week.

Cornelius was on the bench so Miller is on course to start ahead of him coming Gold Cup.

Yeah I'm feeling the same about Brault-Guillard who isn't playing. If he stays on the bench Godinho should play RB in two weeks.

Btw Piette started for Montreal, whereas Choiniere (46th) Jackson-Hamel (80th) and Shome (84th) were subs. Choiniere is close to getting a starting spot and will Shome finally be getting PT this season?

If he continues to get minutes and perform sure. It makes lots of sense to have him in the squad. 

I dont think two professional starts means he jumps over someone who has 47 and has been a consistent starter for Herdman. I'd call up Henry, Cornelius james and Miller if he continues as he has started. 

A real bonus in the making of if he can continue to start and grow. 

Now he's in a position where he is directly comparable to guys like Henry, Jakovic and Cornelius.  I'd say one thing that may be going against him is the fact that the match is in Vancouver, it makes it even easier to stick with the status quo and call Cornelius and Henry.  

Last squad we called up Cornelius, Henry, James and Edgar for centre backs.  I think he easily beats out Edgar for a call at this point if we assume the other 3 are locks.

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’m surprised that Cornelius can’t make the Whitecaps 18 but the emergence of Miller is only a good thing.

Cornelius was in the 18 for every game so far

Miller could have 4 pro starts under his belt by the time of the next CMNT camp.  Even at our thinnest position that really doesnt put him ahead of seasoned pros like Corneilus or James, even if they havnt been playing.  But definately get him into camp and learning the system because it wont take long for him to leapfrog some people if he proves he can be consistant starter at a MLS level.  Same goes for Montogomery, even if he is in the USL in 2 weeks, these guys are the future, get them in camp.  

* wrote this before squad was selected* . I understand his omission, crazy only 9 days ago he got his first pro start. Squad might have already been picked and/or let him keep his club starting spot. Hope we see him at the GC.

Corneilous & Millar both 21, pretty exciting, both athletic, very high ceiling.

Based on current form (yes very small sample size), as of today, I am not sure either should be a clear starter for the CMNT. Might come down to how in camp training goes etc.

Millar:

playing in a back 3 on left side, even on the road. Some managers will switch from 3 at the back to 4 at the back home vs road, Orlando stayed with a 3 at the back and got a result both games.  Held his own in both games and started ahead of a Peru International who played CB in key WCQ matches down the stretch last year.

Hope Millar keeps taking this opportunity and runs with it.

Cornelius:

I'm a big Cornelius supporter obviously, huge ceiling but:

Cornelius was always brought in to be a back-up/3rd-4th CB for Whitecaps, with possibility of climbing the ranks. Dos Santos experienced with him out of position at LB in the first game (in a back 4). With our LB depth, I was very intrigued from a CMNT perspective.  Clearly out of position for him, not his best outing, poor man marking, positional play etc, directly responsible of some of the 3 conceded goals.  Subbed out when Whitecaps needed a stronger attacking option. Next game, did not start at LB or see the field, although, Whitecaps again used 2 different LBs. I do think Dos Santos might give him another run out at LB, and Im sure he will see some minutes throughout the season at CB.

As long as he stays confident he will do fine.

Guess we will see what the boss decides, but both 100% should be called for FG.

Edited by apbsmith
Oops - posted before squad selection

Shame he missed out. If herdman is picking on form (Will Johnson) not sure why Miller hasnt been given a chance here. Not least at the expense of accommodating an aging player in a much lower league likely very short of match practice. Bit of a puzzler. I get the experience part but still...

40 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Shame he missed out. If herdman is picking on form (Will Johnson) not sure why Miller hasnt been given a chance here. Not least at the expense of accommodating an aging player in a much lower league likely very short of match practice. Bit of a puzzler. I get the experience part but still...

Herdman is not really picking on form (Tiebert, Tabla, Edgar) but there is always some give and take to the picks.  Usually there is a couple youngish guys coming to their first camp, so I thought Miller might get the call.  And I guess 2 seasons in serbia doesnt make Cornelius a "seasoned pro" but its a lot more than Miller and his 2 pro games.  I would still watch out for a vet or two to beg off due to injury before the camp, so maybe there is still a chance.  

Yeah. I had just read this before I posted. The quotes could come off contradictory. Difference is Will Johnson is a proven commodity. I also think he is just talking about Johnson rather than his selection criteria for all players. 

“Sometimes a player hits form, and he wasn’t in your plans,” said Herdman. The coach added that, thanks to a strong preseason with Orlando City, and a promising start to the MLS campaign, Johnson has “pushed himself back into the national-team fold.”

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Yeah. I had just read this before I posted. The quotes could come off contradictory. Difference is Will Johnson is a proven commodity. I also think he is just talking about Johnson rather than his selection criteria for all players. 

“Sometimes a player hits form, and he wasn’t in your plans,” said Herdman. The coach added that, thanks to a strong preseason with Orlando City, and a promising start to the MLS campaign, Johnson has “pushed himself back into the national-team fold.”

...and this is being viewed as a "must win" game. I'll take the veteran here, thanks.

Blackdude made a good point in the other thread.  You are calling 23, can only dress 18, only play 14.  The last 4-5 guys on your roster dont have a chance of getting into the game, so why worry so much about them.  Arent they really there to get a work out with the team, get used to Hermans system for future camps.  A couple of young guys in those spots never hurts.  And it might even help the situation at their club if the manager sees them getting called to a national team camp.  But nice to see Johnson get a call, its been a while, but I really doubt if he sees the pitch either.  

Bad news for Kamal though, Orlando signed a CB from sweden.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/12/orlando-city-sc-sign-swedish-center-back-robin-jansson

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Blackdude made a good point in the other thread.  You are calling 23, can only dress 18, only play 14.  The last 4-5 guys on your roster dont have a chance of getting into the game, so why worry so much about them.  Arent they really there to get a work out with the team, get used to Hermans system for future camps.  A couple of young guys in those spots never hurts.  And it might even help the situation at their club if the manager sees them getting called to a national team camp.  But nice to see Johnson get a call, its been a while, but I really doubt if he sees the pitch either.  

Bad news for Kamal though, Orlando signed a CB from sweden.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/12/orlando-city-sc-sign-swedish-center-back-robin-jansson

He could be a good RB player (although I don't think he'll end-up there). 

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

He could be a good RB player (although I don't think he'll end-up there). 

Actually I’m almost certain he is a left footed player, which could be a huge advantage to him depending on the side the others play.