Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

• 2 months later...

He has had massive looking games for us in addition to a few where he looks a bit overwhelmed. He has also played in several different positions. Where is his ceiling is the question. Could he push on and grow further? He only just turned 24, he is a baby for a CB.

Getting these experiences at this level, against this opposition and bringing that back to Montreal where he is already growing into a big player and leader could propel him much further. 

I think his downsides are things that can only improve with age and experience. A great emergence for us just like Kennedy and Johnston.

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Where is his ceiling is the question. Could he push on and grow further? He only just turned 24, he is a baby for a CB.

It should also be noted that this is his first MLS season playing as CB. He was used predominantly as a LB in Orlando. I think he has a lot of room to learn and grow over the next couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We’ll have to wait for Thursday but suddenly our back line doesn’t look so bad. Especially with Kennedy, Cornelius and James available and playing at decent levels. 

Pre-Covid, many had Cornelius as the LCB starter for us with Miller down the depth chart.  Things have changed.  If Cornelius remains on the bench at his new club, regardless of level, he won't be back in the NT picture any time soon.  I hope he makes it happen.

Always thought Miller had the defensive chops at international level.  I hope he continues to do the job vs Mexico.

I think there's a real question now who starts for us in the left centre back spot. I still give Kennedy the inside track, but it's pretty damn close. 

Kennedy for me is still a little cleaner on the ball, has a little more pace, and has demonstrated some very impressive decision making, but Miller will earn his 10th cap against Mexico to Kennedy's 3. The extra experience may swing things in his favour.

Either way, good problem for Herdman to have.

As I mentioned in the Road to Qatar thread we still have Cornelius as a pretty strong 3rd option and who knows how much he'll grow playing in the Greek top flight.

I am very comfortable with our options.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

As I mentioned in the Road to Qatar thread we still have Cornelius as a pretty strong 3rd option and who knows how much he'll grow playing in the Greek top flight.

Hopefully he establishes himself as a regular and in doing so gets back into the picture.  

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think there's a real question now who starts for us in the left centre back spot. I still give Kennedy the inside track, but it's pretty damn close. 

Kennedy for me is still a little cleaner on the ball, has a little more pace, and has demonstrated some very impressive decision making, but Miller will earn his 10th cap against Mexico to Kennedy's 3. The extra experience may swing things in his favour.

I know the comparison here is Miller is playing against more games and against better opposition but otherwise in no way would I call this decision close. 

Kennedy looks like a positive influence and a real asset to the backline, maybe to the point of being our defender with the most potential. Kamal Miller plays loose positionally and tries to make up for it by throwing emergency tackles all the time.

Edited by ag futbol

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think in a back 3, Kennedy is pretty clearly the choice. You need those outside CBs to be very clean with their passing, and Kennedy and Johnston have been good so far in that department. If we play 4 at the back, I think Miller has a better chance, but I haven’t really seen Kennedy much in a back 4 so it’s difficult to say.

Miller looked decent, less deer in the headlights when asked to pass out of the three.  In the right place most of the time. Has decent pace and strength, which we knew before. 

One of the positives for me from last night.  Really good for this tournament and maybe, sort of, a little bit building a little real depth at that position. 

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I dont know if it was mentioned, but Miller was signed to a 2 year extension plus a player option for Montreal last week. For the past couple years we needed at minimum an MLS level starting CB and we have that in Miller now. 

Also in his absence Waterman has been starting as well.

its been good for both of them.  Cant beat INT experience against USA, Mexico etc for Miller.  And Waterman has quietly hit last years totals for starts and minutes already.