Hutch In The Europa League

Tuscan

Hutch's Besiktas sadly weren't able to progress from the group stage of the Champions League due to two unsatisfactory performances in the last two group stage games. The last one vs. Kiev was simply shameful. I'm not even a Besiktas supporter but I know a bum effort when I see one.

Due to this Besiktas now join the Europa League. I'm curious, for those who follow the Europa League more closely, if you guys think Hutch and Besiktas have a real shot at lifting that trophy? It'd probably earn him another CDN Player of the Year award if it was to happen. They've drawn a team from the Israeli league in the Round of 32, so I think they should easily advance. Not sure who they'd face next. Are the Europa League rounds drawn randomly?

For those that don't follow the Europa League, you should. Over the course of the entire year, I find it a much more enjoyable competition than the Champions League. Simply put, it is more competitive.

Does Besiktas have a chance? Any team playing a game has a chance. They would not be among the favorites though. You would expect them to make the round of 16. After that, it all depends on the draw.

I think that Besiktas got the absolutely easiest draw, Beersheva did very well in their group, but are a minor team even in Israel and have little experience. And Hutch's team plays the second leg at home. 

Some of the other draws will eliminate tough sides (Villareal vs. Roma), so that may ease their way, some mid-level teams will also go through as they are playing each other as well (the Romanians Astra vs. Genk). I still think it has to go to one of the Enlgish, Spanish, Italian or French teams, Besiktas out in round of 16 or quarters. How about a Roma-Manchester United final? For once I think the Spanish sides will not dominate this year. 

Archived