PDL and TSS

ted

The rumours have been flying that TSS in Richmond is the new owner of the PDL franchise rights formerly held by Washington Crossfire (Update: WA Crossfire PDL headed to Richmond, BC’s TSS Academy?)

This is good news for us here in Victoria. We get a BC rival in the division again and perhaps an opportunity to resurrect the Juan de Fuca Plate. Sadly it doesn't actually increase the number o teams so the division is still, IMO, too small in numbers.

The rumours of the team playing out of Swangard are heartening to me. I was afraid the team would ignore the spectator side of the equation and play on a recreational pitch somewhere.

The division is definitely too small, especially with the departure of Kitsap. I am pleased to have a more local rival taking form, and another team ensuring talent isn't lost to PCSL. Hopefully they'll be announced officially in the near future.

Any word on when we can expect the PDL schedule? I can't wait to plan some away trips. :)

Short version, a private academy that just lost their lawsuit with the BCSA.

Slightly longer version from their website:

TSS Academy runs a variety of programs throughout the year to help players advance their skills and understanding of the game. The core of the staff at TSS are full-time coaching professionals who subscribe to a set of beliefs with respect to coaching and development. At the core of TSS is the belief that coaching is about teaching and we strive to create the best learning environment possible for players. Players are continually assessed based on the TSS Layers of Learning which is a teaching model to help players and parents understand the elements of becoming a complete player.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Well then, KWU aside, the PDL is quickly shaping up to be as close to a Western Canada D3 as we could hope for.

Throw in FC Edmonton Academy, WSA Winnipeg and perhaps a few more clubs from BC, AB, SK or MB, and I think we have the makings of a Western Canadian HPL.

What does TSS stand for?

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Well then, KWU aside, the PDL is quickly shaping up to be as close to a Western Canada D3 as we could hope for.

These PDL teams should be incorporated into a League1 Western Canada in future to go along with L1O and PLSQ as Canada's official D3 regional league's.

1 minute ago, Zem said:

What do you mean? It wouldn't be any worse than in the PDL, where they have to travel to the US

Maybe not for WSA & TB, but the BC teams would certainly have it worse.

Take Victoria, for instance.  Their farthest US PDL opponent is Lane United in Eugene OR, 600 km south - and that's ignoring two coach-bus-distance teams in Seattle and a sub-$300 flight to Portland.  Compare that to Calgary (also in the same division); a $300 flight 1050km east.  Winnipeg ($430) and TB ($420) are more expensive still.

It's a bit better on WSA & TB, who already have shit travel arrangements.  Ignoring Winnipeg, TB has flights to Indianapolis (C$540 RT), Chicago (C$375 RT), Des Moines (C$495 RT), and St Louis (C$550 RT).  Compare this to likely Canadian opponents - Victoria (C$450 RT), Vancouver (C$450 RT), Calgary (C$420 RT), and - for kicks - Regina (C$310 RT).  PDL total is $1960, D3West total is $1630 - honestly a better deal than I thought they'd get before seeing the math.

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

What does TSS stand for?

Total Soccer Solutions

14 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Maybe not for WSA & TB, but the BC teams would certainly have it worse.

Yeah, The Rockies are a natural dividing line, BC should have it's own D3 and "the middle" (however you define it) should have one as well. In the end we get to five D3's by creating an "Atlantic" league for the Maritimes + Newfoundland.

Archived