UPDATE: Canadian MLS TV rights to TSN / TVA Sports

shermanator

Still disapointed with the english coverage of the Impact. Statement reads that it will show "a slate" of Impact matchups.......

Beginning with the 2017 season, Canada’s Sports Leader now delivers exclusive coverage of every game featuring Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC, a slate of Montreal Impact matchups, marquee games featuring U.S.-based teams, along with exclusive coverage of the MLS ALL-STAR GAME, MLS DECISION DAY, the AUDI MLS CUP PLAYOFFS, and MLS CUP – one of 60+ iconic championship events that live on TSN.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/tsn-and-major-league-soccer-announce-multi-year-rights-agreement-making-tsn-canadas-exclusive-english-language-broadcaster-of-mls/

I talk to some people who watch MLS, and theydon't subscribe to any french channels so they missed out on a good Impact 2016 team....not sure why the Impact don't try and be more relevant across the country.

All of the Whitecaps games were already on TSN, so this doesn't change much for them. But from a TFC perspective, I think this is huge. No more games on Sportsnet 360. Its a lot easier for fans to know where to look.

Also, it sounds like there will be some fixed broadcast times on Friday nights in the Spring (until the CFL starts up) and Saturdays throughout the season. Consistency in those times will get people in the habit of switching on the TV for soccer.

2 hours ago, masster said:

All of the Whitecaps games were already on TSN, so this doesn't change much for them. But from a TFC perspective, I think this is huge. No more games on Sportsnet 360. Its a lot easier for fans to know where to look.

Also, it sounds like there will be some fixed broadcast times on Friday nights in the Spring (until the CFL starts up) and Saturdays throughout the season. Consistency in those times will get people in the habit of switching on the TV for soccer.

Hopefully people going to the games get to their seats by kickoff for the Friday games.

Well that sucks.  That means I have five more years of not being able to watch MLS games at home.  MLS Live will not show games that are shown locally (i.e. on TSN).  Local in Canada means national - so as an Ottawa resident and despite being 400+km away from Toronto, MLS Live will not show TFC games.  TSN only provides online access to cable subscribers. I live in one of those 21st century homes with digital antenna, apple TV and Netflix - no cable = no TSN for me.

Why TSN does not provide any content online for non-cable subscribers is beyond me.  Would it kill them to include a provision in the deal saying that they can charge online users on a monthly or per sport/use basis?  I would be willing to pay for MLS Live if they showed TFC games, and I even shelled out for Sportsnet Now when my in-laws were visiting during the Jays play-off run (which has the added benefit of showing Premier League games on Saturdays).  

41 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Well that sucks.  That means I have five more years of not being able to watch MLS games at home.  MLS Live will not show games that are shown locally (i.e. on TSN).  Local in Canada means national - so as an Ottawa resident and despite being 400+km away from Toronto, MLS Live will not show TFC games.  TSN only provides online access to cable subscribers. I live in one of those 21st century homes with digital antenna, apple TV and Netflix - no cable = no TSN for me.

Why TSN does not provide any content online for non-cable subscribers is beyond me.  Would it kill them to include a provision in the deal saying that they can charge online users on a monthly or per sport/use basis?  I would be willing to pay for MLS Live if they showed TFC games, and I even shelled out for Sportsnet Now when my in-laws were visiting during the Jays play-off run (which has the added benefit of showing Premier League games on Saturdays).  

I really hope that MLS pushed something into the contract that they must provide paid streaming service outside of a cable subscription. MLS must know their biggest demographic is also the demographic that is most likely to live in a cable free home. I wouldn't be surprised if we see TSN announce a streaming package like Rogers did with Sportsnet NOW. I also wouldn't be surprised if some MLS corporate person just looked at the larger sum of money from BELL for not having streaming outside of cable and not considering how that will affect viewership.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Whitecaps road games will be called off a television from Toronto. Blech.

Did you notice that we never got a shot of either play by play team at the stadium during TSN's broadcasts yesterday? Perhaps road matches for all Canadian teams are being called off monitors.

Archived