UPDATE: Canadian MLS TV rights to TSN / TVA Sports

shermanator

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Oh dear god, no!  No Vic Rauter?!  

TSN has improved a million percent over what they used to be, back when that really dumb guy with the weird lips and everyone else would sit there and poke fun at footie after about seven hours of baseball highlights.  It's good to see that Sportsbet has decided to get back in the domestic game.  It's also good to see that at least the CBC expressed a wee bit of interest.

Thanks for the (possible) info.

It didn't say that TSN was shut out. Makos didn't read the article because it says it wasn't clear who got the TV Rights Sportsnet was the favourite and Jonathan Tannewald is reporting now that TSN wll keep the English broadcasting rights. Filosa didn't know and said that Sportsnet made more sense but couldn't confirm that it was done.

Is this guy reliable?

Can't help but think this helps CPL. MLS sequestered on the poorest performing sports channel, TSN down even more content after recently seeing the potential of soccer viewership on display, evidence that CBC has at least thought about soccer broadcasting with "Soccer Night in Canada" getting trademarked (though my suspicions are that that was a failed bid for MLS rights by CBC) 

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Is this guy reliable?

Can't help but think this helps CPL. MLS sequestered on the poorest performing sports channel, TSN down even more content after recently seeing the potential of soccer viewership on display, evidence that CBC has at least thought about soccer broadcasting with "Soccer Night in Canada" getting trademarked (though my suspicions are that that was a failed bid for MLS rights by CBC) 

The guy never said that Sportnet had the rights.  He said this: "It's not clear who has the Anglo TV Rights, but one would bet that Sportsnet would be the big winner." but he said that Sportsnet made more sense because of their work with the NHL rights. I know nobody reads the article because it's in French, so you read the first  guy who tweets in English about it and took his word. 

Google Translate exists people.

11 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

The guy never said that Sportnet had the rights.  He said this: "It's not clear who has the Anglo TV Rights, but one would bet that Sportsnet would be the big winner." but he said that Sportsnet made more sense because of their work with the NHL rights. I know nobody reads the article because it's in French, so you read the first  guy who tweets in English about it and took his word. 

Google Translate exists people.

Welp, assumed the tweeter was the author 

Here is the thing, if we accept that CFL ownerships are investing in the CPL, you are inclined to think they would go with TSN because they have contacts already with the CFL and will likely have complimentary booking per region or CBC because it is a new league is a tough sell for top channel broadcast, but it is likely easy to get onto CBC being a Canadian league.

Regardless though, let's face the fact, apart from the playoff run, MLS's TV numbers aren't pretty. It is easy to think multiple bids will be entertained for the product. I could easily see Sportsnet picking it up, if only to try to compete with the CFL since they know their MLB fortunes live and die by the state of the Jays.

The bigger issue in my eyes is Sportsnet has a history of slagging the opposing product if they are shut out. They've been doing it to the CFL for ages. If someone else broadcasts the CPL, you can bet a string of "CPL is Bush league" stories to get spewed out of Sportsnet.

2 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Here is the thing, if we accept that CFL ownerships are investing in the CPL, you are inclined to think they would go with TSN because they have contacts already with the CFL and will likely have complimentary booking per region or CBC because it is a new league is a tough sell for top channel broadcast, but it is likely easy to get onto CBC being a Canadian league.

Regardless though, let's face the fact, apart from the playoff run, MLS's TV numbers aren't pretty. It is easy to think multiple bids will be entertained for the product. I could easily see Sportsnet picking it up, if only to try to compete with the CFL since they know their MLB fortunes live and die by the state of the Jays.

The bigger issue in my eyes is Sportsnet has a history of slagging the opposing product if they are shut out. They've been doing it to the CFL for ages. If someone else broadcasts the CPL, you can bet a string of "CPL is Bush league" stories to get spewed out of Sportsnet.

Ya   like  if  Shitsnet  are  one  to  talk   they  always  do  a  horrible  job  of  broadcasting  major   events   Any  Sports  network    that   has  Nick  Kyperios, as  a  Expert  on  something  kind  of  make  you  wonder  the  quality  of  that  network

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎22 at 4:40 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I hope it will not be Sportsnet as I think if that happens even more games will get buried to Sporstnet 360 with the Jays getting prime slots 

What  if  TFC  continues  with  the  success  they  had  last  year   and  The  Jays  drop  down   which  according  to   most  Jays  fans  I  know  will   happen  this  season  

18 hours ago, gigi riva said:

What  if  TFC  continues  with  the  success  they  had  last  year   and  The  Jays  drop  down   which  according  to   most  Jays  fans  I  know  will   happen  this  season  

Rogers media owns the baseball team outright.  And they paid/invested handsomely to purchase the Jays.  Its in their interest to promote their product regardless of how they are doing on the field.   Whereas with TFC, They are part of a group of three entities that owns a company that owns the soccer team amongst the other properties whose broadcast rights they covet (eg.: NHL) for their content and programming.

They will never bump off the ball team to a channel that will have reduced viewership and hence, reduce the exposure for its sponsors.  

I knew, when the Teachers pension fund sold its share to the two media partners, that this would be bad news for soccer.  I was shaking my head in disbelief at the many who were applauding the new ownership entities and the departure of Teachers.   Before the sale, MLSE was talking of creating a broadcast arm (ie.: much like YES network or NESN) by leveraging off of their ownership of the Leafs channel, GOL tv, and The Raptors NBA tv.  This would have been ideal for soccer.  Because on that channel, TFC woudl have had the summer months all to itself.  

Instead, now, the soccer team is caught between two corporate enities who have their lunch money invested in competing summer sports.  MLS soccer is not going to get a much better deal or exposure at Bell/TSN because they basically own the CFL.  Whats the CFL today without the broadcast rights $$$ from Bell. 

PS.:  if Teachers was still owning 75% of MLSEL, BMO field would still be a soccer only and soccer specific stadium. 

PPS.: if the current ownership structure existed in 2006, there would not be MLS soccer in Toronto nor Canada. 

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

Rogers media owns the baseball team outright.  And they paid/invested handsomely to purchase the Jays.  Its in their interest to promote their product regardless of how they are doing on the field.   Whereas with TFC, They are part of a group of three entities that owns a company that owns the soccer team amongst the other properties whose broadcast rights they covet (eg.: NHL) for their content and programming.

They will never bump off the ball team to a channel that will have reduced viewership and hence, reduce the exposure for its sponsors.  

I knew, when the Teachers pension fund sold its share to the two media partners, that this would be bad news for soccer.  I was shaking my head in disbelief at the many who were applauding the new ownership entities and the departure of Teachers.   Before the sale, MLSE was talking of creating a broadcast arm (ie.: much like YES network or NESN) by leveraging off of their ownership of the Leafs channel, GOL tv, and The Raptors NBA tv.  This would have been ideal for soccer.  Because on that channel, TFC woudl have had the summer months all to itself.  

Instead, now, the soccer team is caught between two corporate enities who have their lunch money invested in competing summer sports.  MLS soccer is not going to get a much better deal or exposure at Bell/TSN because they basically own the CFL.  Whats the CFL today without the broadcast rights $$$ from Bell. 

PS.:  if Teachers was still owning 75% of MLSEL, BMO field would still be a soccer only and soccer specific stadium. 

PPS.: if the current ownership structure existed in 2006, there would not be MLS soccer in Toronto nor Canada. 

PPPS - if teachers still owned MLSE then TFC still wouldn't have made the playoffs yet, and the Raptors likely wouldn't be making it to conference finals.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

PPPS - if teachers still owned MLSE then TFC still wouldn't have made the playoffs yet, and the Raptors likely wouldn't be making it to conference finals.

So the teachers pension plan was responsible for that?   The hiring to Tim Leiwicke had alot to do with that.   But this same group is reason he was fired. 

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

So the teachers pension plan was responsible for that?   The hiring to Tim Leiwicke had alot to do with that.   But this same group is reason he was fired. 

Leiweke was never fired by MLSE.

• 2 weeks later...

Filosa is reporting that MLS is staying on TSN.

So he says, in a derby that just has been decided, TSN will keep the TV rights for MLS and TVA Sports in French. Pretty peculiar. 

He also adds that the Impact/MLS/TVA Sports will be announced tomorrow. I wonder how many non-Impact games they will show.

Archived