Football Manager 17 - CanPL/Voyageurs Cup Mod

Hello everyone, I am not sure if anyone here plays Football Manager 17, but I just set up a rudimentary mod that adds CanPL, L1O, PLSQ, PCSL and a modified Voyageurs Cup to the game. I intend to add players to the teams currently in existence (lower league) and logos when I find more time. Let me know if you're interested in helping out (you can also find me on the RPB forum as flamehawk).

You can subscribe to it through steam at: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823093114

"PLEASE NOTE: FOR CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TO WORK, YOU MUST ALSO INSTALL AND ACTIVATE THE CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE EDITOR FILE -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823107674

Adds the Canadian pyramid to football manager, with the forthcoming Canadian Premier League, an expanded Voyageurs Cup, and a second division (L1O, PLSQ, PCSL). Please note: this mod is bare bones at this stage, but I hope to add players (for leagues in existence), logos, etc. at a later stage. 

CPL: Victoria Highlanders, FC Edmonton, Calgary Foothills, Regina Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Hamilton Steelers, Toronto North, Quebec Nordiques, Halifax Wanderers; Four team playoffs, winner qualifies for CONCACAF Champions League 
Voyageurs Cup: CPL teams, MLS teams (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) and the respective champions of each second division league. Winner qualifies for CONCACAF Champions League 
L1O: Added PDL teams (Kitchener-Waterloo and Thunder Bay) 
TFC Seniors Academy from PDL replaces TFC U17 
PLSQ: Added Impact Academy and a number of amateur Ottawa, Quebec, and Maritime-based teams 
PCSL: Added Whitecaps academy and a number of amateur BC and Prairies teams 
-To keep things realistic, there is no PRO/REL between leagues and the three MLS teams remain with MLS 
-Had to make changes to Concacaf Champions League - switched to a summer schedule, with the Caribbean receiving one less team and the CFU Cup has become an earlier stage in the champions league"

2s.jpg

CPL copy.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful. I tried to make one for FM 16 and realized I suck at this sort of thing. There was another one but it gave crazy high money/prestige to CPL and made it the best league in north America, which broke any immersion 

Can you describe it a bit more? What are the salary levels, does the V-Cup work well (with CCL spot?), etc? This might push me to break my rules of buying FM consecutive years

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Beautiful. I tried to make one for FM 16 and realized I suck at this sort of thing. There was another one but it gave crazy high money/prestige to CPL and made it the best league in north America, which broke any immersion 

Can you describe it a bit more? What are the salary levels, does the V-Cup work well (with CCL spot?), etc? This might push me to break my rules of buying FM consecutive years

Ya, the editor is pretty tricky, had to use a lot of trial and error.

A reason I posted this in the forum was to collaboratively decide on these questions. While for some aspects I have leaned towards realism (leaving MLS teams alone, starting with a smaller 10 team setup, no pro/rel), the financial side and reputation is admittedly a little boosted. When I had lowered these settings there was a problem with teams signing players as no one wanted to join an empty team without higher than expected salaries. We weren't even talking about players like Hutchison, but I couldn't even sign someone like David Monsalve or Jordan Murrell (no disrespect to these players, but realistically, I'd expect them to jump at the chance of signing for CPL when it emerges). But you make a good point about immersion, so I think I will substantially lower them.

Thus, finances of each team has been set at: $8m USD, with a $3m transfer budget (I am probably going to at least half that though). Reputation has been set at 120 (MLS default is 130; NASL and USL is 80; ...I should probably set it to 100).

-Average salary in the 3rd season through a cursory glance appears to be mostly around $30,000, with 6-7 players at or above $100k USD

-One thing that does work well, after days of trial and error is V-Cup, which allows for qualification to CCL (taking the spot of one of the Caribbean teams)
-V-Cup is a 16 team tournament made up of 3 MLS teams, 10 CPL teams, and the respective champions of L1O, PLSQ, and PCSL (i did notice a bug leading to MLS academy teams qualifying through a lower league that I am trying to fix). The format is one-legged knockout until the semi-finals, which has two legs, and finally a one-legged final at a neutral venue.

3 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Ya, the editor is pretty tricky, had to use a lot of trial and error.

A reason I posted this in the forum was to collaboratively decide on these questions. While for some aspects I have leaned towards realism (leaving MLS teams alone, starting with a smaller 10 team setup, no pro/rel), the financial side and reputation is admittedly a little boosted. When I had lowered these settings there was a problem with teams signing players as no one wanted to join an empty team without higher than expected salaries. We weren't even talking about players like Hutchison, but I couldn't even sign someone like David Monsalve or Jordan Murrell (no disrespect to these players, but realistically, I'd expect them to jump at the chance of signing for CPL when it emerges). But you make a good point about immersion, so I think I will substantially lower them.

Thus, finances of each team has been set at: $8m USD, with a $3m transfer budget (I am probably going to at least half that though). Reputation has been set at 120 (MLS default is 130; NASL and USL is 80; ...I should probably set it to 100).

-Average salary in the 3rd season through a cursory glance appears to be mostly around $30,000, with 6-7 players at or above $100k USD

-One thing that does work well, after days of trial and error is V-Cup, which allows for qualification to CCL (taking the spot of one of the Caribbean teams)
-V-Cup is a 16 team tournament made up of 3 MLS teams, 10 CPL teams, and the respective champions of L1O, PLSQ, and PCSL (i did notice a bug leading to MLS academy teams qualifying through a lower league that I am trying to fix). The format is one-legged knockout until the semi-finals, which has two legs, and finally a one-legged final at a neutral venue.

Sounds awesome 

I just filled out Vaughan Azzuri's rosters... man, it's hard to track down stats for players. It took listening through a replay of the L1O finals to even get the lineup. It also took a lot of digging on university profiles to get height, weight, age (mostly estimates based on year they were in uni). I suppose attributes will have to be randomly generated.

3 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I just filled out Vaughan Azzuri's rosters... man, it's hard to track down stats for players. It took listening through a replay of the L1O finals to even get the lineup. It also took a lot of digging on university profiles to get height, weight, age (mostly estimates based on year they were in uni). I suppose attributes will have to be randomly generated.

L1O's website should have season stats for the players, and I've got a list of everyone who made all-star teams on the wikipedia page, so you might be able to use that to put some rankings together.

27 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

In addition to goperhashi's point, @Rocket Robin has an insanely detailed archive at http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com for the Toronto based teams

I just added a bunch of Canadian media/independent Canadian soccer sources (e.g. Red Nation Online), as well as personalities (so you might get interviewed by John Molinaro or Duane Rollins). A little Toronto-centric at the moment but I'll add more as it goes.

Grand River Union supporters reached out and request the team be added. I'll just have to balance things out though, and keep it realistic in terms of likelihood of the place having a team. Will also need to reconfigure Voyageurs Cup depending on number of teams. If I add GRU and another team, it should work like:

Round Robin Qualifying Round between L1O, PLSQ, and PCSL

First Round: Winner of Qualifying Round; MLS Teams; CPL: Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec, Halifax .. Grand River and _____?

There's rumors of a team in London, but this would mean 1/3 of the teams being Ontario-based. I could also put a team in either Vancouver or Montreal, but I don't know how likely we will have teams in those markets.

I'd replace the "Toronto" team with London, seeing as that's how rumours are painting it. Moncton or Surrey would be reasonable adds.

Also, thanks for adding NSXI to the media lists. Now I'm going to have to find some money for the game just so I can install this and see it on the screen. We don't currently do much in the way of interviews at games, but I'd love for that to change!

10 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I'd replace the "Toronto" team with London, seeing as that's how rumours are painting it. Moncton or Surrey would be reasonable adds.

Also, thanks for adding NSXI to the media lists. Now I'm going to have to find some money for the game just so I can install this and see it on the screen. We don't currently do much in the way of interviews at games, but I'd love for that to change!

The rumours for an independent Toronto team (non-MLSE) are much stronger than the London one. We should know, we leaked of the London rumour! 

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

Grand River Union and FC London are in the game:

mqQjO8Z.jpg

Shawn Gray from Northern XI at the introductory press conference :)

4U3fqrn.jpg

Came across in inadvertent problem with increasing the reputation and finances of the clubs ... they won't sign Canadians, preferring to leave the squad bare with the exception of 10 foreign players. The foreign players being signed are at a level I had wanted (primarily English League 1, at best lower-end Championship players), but I presume an issue is that with the finances at hand and higher reputation, managers don't want to sign scrub Canadian free agents (they don't want such a big disparity within the squad). Another iteration of this league with low finances meant teams full of Canadian players but very few foreign players .. but this was also unrealistic. 

I am going to see if it makes a difference if I had Canadian managers already employed at the clubs ... worst case, we fill the teams up with Canadian players instead of having empty squads to start. This problem is fixed if you select the option of generating fake players at the start of the game, but I don't like how unrealistic it is having 10-15 Canadian players in each squad noone has heard of. Ideally I figure out how to make a draft at the start of season 1 with out of contract Canadian players.

6 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I was going to forego getting FM17 because the reviews are pretty awful and I figure next year we might have the real CPL in... what's your thoughts @yellowsweatygorilla? This mod makes me want to purchase.

FM17 hasn't been horrible, but in terms of value ... it's basically FM16 with a database update .. I can't even remember the differences off the top of my head. If I were you, I would wait to see how far we can go with this mod. Still a lot of kinks to work out, and until they are, might not make sense to make the jump.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=823093114

Updated the file with all the changes. I'll just need to figure out how to upload all the graphics. 

It appears that towards the end of the season teams fill up with more Canadian players. I think it's just an issue of there being insufficient Canadians in the database. Hopefully this is fixed with the second division teams are filled with players.

Interesting that 17 is just an updated 16. I'll wait until the 18 version is out - but in reality, the CPL won't be in it until 19 officially at best. But if you guys get the kinks sorted for this then a version for the FM18 should be ready for download! I'll definitely get this game if that happens ;) Club World Cup is coming to Surrey....

Archived