• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has become a consistent contributor on the team, which I think is the main take away this season. Won't be surprised to see him play in a top 5 league in the future if Besiktas decide to sell him.

Larin with a nice play today, but his teammate couldn’t find the net. Most on Besiktas twitter are saying positive things about his performance.  

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

He had six assists in three seasons in MLS and had two last year in Turkey. So far he has eleven in less than a full season in Belgium.

That is rather impressive. 

Maybe my expectations of him were too high after coming from a Turkish topteam to Belgium. I just thought he'd tear it up which he hasn't. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

That is rather impressive. 

Maybe my expectations of him were too high after coming from a Turkish topteam to Belgium. I just thought he'd tear it up which he hasn't. 

He is tearing it up?  9 goals and 11 assists in February is damn impressive and leads his team.  

11 assists is actually unbelievable .. the next highest on his team has 5.  It's also one more than David in 6 fewer matches.

By no means am I comparing David & Larin but the team you play for and playing cast around you has a factor in your goals and assists.  Gent is likely going to to score multiple goals every game in the league while Zulte are gonna struggle to even score in some games in the league.  It's like expecting players like Pukki or Harry Wilson to be top scorers in the premier league.

To help put into perspective, in less than one full season Larin is 4 goals away from cracking Zulte Waregem's top 20 in scoring all time.

Edited by Corazon
5 hours ago, Corazon said:

By no means am I comparing David & Larin but the team you play for and playing cast around you has a factor in your goals and assists.  Gent is likely going to to score multiple goals every game in the league while Zulte are gonna struggle to even score in some games in the league.  It's like expecting players like Pukki or Harry Wilson to be top scorers in the premier league.

To help put into perspective, in less than one full season Larin is 4 goals away from cracking Zulte Waregem's top 20 in scoring all time.

I think the issue is fans tend to make very incorrect generalizations of a players success (or lack there of) by just visiting their Wikipedia page and taking a peep at how many goals they’ve netted.

13 hours ago, Corazon said:

Zulte and Gent are very comparable clubs. I'd expected Zulte-Waregem to do better (and Gent to do a bit less). 

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Zulte and Gent are very comparable clubs. I'd expected Zulte-Waregem to do better (and Gent to do a bit less). 

80 European games for Gent vs 16 European games for Zulte-Waregem

Gent by no means is a historical powerhouse in Belgium but still quite a difference, especially in recent years.  And the quality of recent and current players on Gent higher than Zulte-Waregem.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-details-update-in-leeds-pursuit-of-besiktas-striker-cyle-larin/

This article says that Leeds wanted to sign Larin, but Beşiktaş are obligated to sell to Zulte due to the option in his loan contract for £2.1M. However, the Belgian side is willing to cash in immediately and will flip Larin to Leeds for £4.2M.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

https://tbrfootball.com/report-details-update-in-leeds-pursuit-of-besiktas-striker-cyle-larin/

This article says that Leeds wanted to sign Larin, but Beşiktaş are obligated to sell to Zulte due to the option in his loan contract for £2.1M. However, the Belgian side is willing to cash in immediately and will flip Larin to Leeds for £4.2M.

It is one of those that seem to be everywhere while also seeming to trace back to one source (with a few number variations), so I remain interested but skeptical.

It could be breakout move  and my prejudices against Leeds aside,  on the face it, it would not be worst team to get minutes.  They have Bamford and a kid named Tyler Roberts on permanent deals now.

On the other hand, to try to be completely objective, I would not be pleased as a Leeds fan if Larin were my marquee striker signing going into the Premier League and I, as myself, would worry they would use that TV money to buy someone else as well. 

I also wonder if it is contingent on promotion which to be fair is likely (5 point lead with 10 games to go, for automatic, not to mention playoffs.)

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t see how this makes sense for Leeds - they’re going to go to the Premier League with Larin as their lead striker ?? Probably not. They’re going to pay 10m+ transfer fee for a backup??

Teams coming up can go a variety of ways.  Spend with one eye on going back down like Hoilett's Cardiff or Norwich have.  Or spend like Villa or Fulham.  If Leeds go the latter way and gamble with their TV money, 10mill is nothing for a backup even. 

Edit:  A fairly direct comparison Villa signed Mbwana Samatta from Genk in January - 12mill Euros.  His numbers to Jan are arguably worse in the same league as Larin, each with 7 goals, but Larin added almost as many assists.   Wesley who, to be fair, is injured, was their marquee signing from the same league. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford
2 hours ago, Floortom said:

I don’t see how this makes sense for Leeds - they’re going to go to the Premier League with Larin as their lead striker ?? Probably not. They’re going to pay 10m+ transfer fee for a backup??

Apparently it is for £4.2M and not 10M. 

And someone at Leeds, can't remember who (not Biesla) is a long term admirer of Larin and wanted him before he went to Besiktas, so it's not that crazy to think they'd want to add him to their group. Remember, he is still technically a Besiktas player and that holds some clout.

The article I posted shed some light on the impressive number of goal contributions and speculates that he would suit Leeds as there is an emphasis on the forwards build up play at the club. I don't watch Leeds so I can't personally varify.

It's cool though that Larin has turned this weakness into a strength. I have been critical of his hold up play in the past, but he's seemingly worked on it because he has definitely improved this part of his game.

Edited by Obinna
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Apparently it is for £4.2M and not 10M. 

And someone at Leeds, can't remember who (not Biesla) is a long term admirer of Larin and wanted him before he went to Besiktas, so it's not that crazy to think they'd want to add him to their group. Remember, he is still technically a Besiktas player and that holds some clout.

The article I posted shed some light on the impressive number of goal contributions and speculates that he would suit Leeds as there is an emphasis on the forwards build up play at the club. I don't watch Leeds so I can't personally varify.

It's cool though that Larin has turned this weakness into a strength. I have been critical of his hold up play in the past, but he's seemingly worked on it because he has definitely improved this part of his game.

Agreed! During Larin's first season in the MLS he was weak in nearly every aspect of the game but goal scoring. He's really rounded his game out well.