Jump to content
shermanator

Cyle Larin

Recommended Posts

He was in a strange role last night.  Playing as a right winger and often defending deep alongside our box.  The role he played seemed like it would be perfect for a guy like Akindele because it seems Herdman wanted a guy who could hold the ball up and also to have two strikers in the box if Davies was ever unleashed. Unfortunately that never worked out. 

Upset that he couldn’t have at least one look.  He may not get other chances as I would expect both Cavallini and David to start vs Cuba and in the QF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was in a strange role last night.  Playing as a right winger and often defending deep alongside our box.  The role he played seemed like it would be perfect for a guy like Akindele because it seems Herdman wanted a guy who could hold the ball up and also to have two strikers in the box if Davies was ever unleashed. Unfortunately that never worked out. 

Upset that he couldn’t have at least one look.  He may not get other chances as I would expect both Cavallini and David to start vs Cuba and in the QF. 

Totally agree that role was begging for Akindele, but Herdman made his choice. What's done is done. I don't see Larin suiting up in that role much anyhow. I think it was partly out of necessity to keep Hoilett fresh for Cuba.

What's disappointing (but expected) is that Larin is not playing instinctively. He is definitely putting in the work to stay fit and focused, but it's difficult to find your rhythm when you haven't played regularly.

I can see improvements in his game, developed by virtue of training with a high level team like Besiktas week-in and week-out, but now he needs to just find his rhythm again so that he can be the instinctive finisher we know he can be. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a player that has struggled all 2019 with playing form, to throw him in out of his normal position against the top team in the region is unfair in my opinion.  For a player struggling like him, a start vs Cuba or a substitute appearance against Cuba would have been much better for him and his confidence.  Even a player in as poor form as him could bag a couple goals in a short time vs Cuba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Larin shouldn’t be on the 23 man roster never mind starting games. Was very unimpressed last night. I would have pulled him as soon as he had that half asses run to the box when Cavallini got that first real threatening shot. If Larin picks up the pace he draws a defender, gets a rebound, or gets a pass. Easily could have been 1-1 on the play. 

 

Edited by Reign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Corazon said:

For a player that has struggled all 2019 with playing form, to throw him in out of his normal position against the top team in the region is unfair in my opinion.  For a player struggling like him, a start vs Cuba or a substitute appearance against Cuba would have been much better for him and his confidence.  Even a player in as poor form as him could bag a couple goals in a short time vs Cuba.

Agreed. Considering what was asked of him, I thought Cyle did reasonably well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Larin did well a few times holding the ball up, but his speed in decision making is way too slow. Multiple times if his first read didn't pan out he had no contingency plan. Overall though, he was given a difficult assignment and it's impossible to judge him overall based on playing as a defensive winger versus Mexico. His role on this squad should be emergency sub when we need a goal (or minutes muncher versus Cuba).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Diego said:

Larin did well a few times holding the ball up, but his speed in decision making is way too slow. Multiple times if his first read didn't pan out he had no contingency plan. Overall though, he was given a difficult assignment and it's impossible to judge him overall based on playing as a defensive winger versus Mexico. His role on this squad should be emergency sub when we need a goal (or minutes muncher versus Cuba).

Spot on.  That's his role with this current program until he can regain form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Diego said:

Larin did well a few times holding the ball up, but his speed in decision making is way too slow. Multiple times if his first read didn't pan out he had no contingency plan. Overall though, he was given a difficult assignment and it's impossible to judge him overall based on playing as a defensive winger versus Mexico. His role on this squad should be emergency sub when we need a goal (or minutes muncher versus Cuba).

Larin is a  "pure #9". His game in MLS was reliant on good service in the box and he was proficient in finishing. His decision making and timing of being in the right spot used to be very good. Until recently we did not have the wingers or playmakers to provide him with the same service; or under Floro did not play the style of game period. He was put in a very difficult position yesterday. His match fitness is understandably not up to par, which was a concern coming in to the GC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jordan said:

There has been some Zulte Waregem loan chatter, though timing seems off

I would be happy for him to get loaned at that level at this point. Go to a mid to low tier Juliper league club and bang in a ton of goals and get your confidence up.

Make it a full season loan. Rack up the goals. Come back to Besiktas with a ton of confidence and teams looking for your services. If you win a role with Besiktas? Great. If you're not in the plan, maybe they finally sell you (perhaps to a team like Standard Liege or Club Brugges) for a profit, now that your stock is up.

By the way, I think he trained with one of those teams before he even signed a pro contract with MLS, right?

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be happy for him to get loaned at that level at this point. Go to a mid to low tier Juliper league club and bang in a ton of goals and get your confidence up.

Make it a full season loan. Rack up the goals. Come back to Besiktas with a ton of confidence and teams looking for your services. If you win a role with Besiktas? Great. If you're not in the plan, maybe they finally sell you (perhaps to a team like Standard Liege or Club Brugges) for a profit, now that your stock is up.

By the way, I think he trained with one of those teams before he even signed a pro contract with MLS, right?

You are right about training with a club just at this point I don’t remember who

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

By the way, I think he trained with one of those teams before he even signed a pro contract with MLS, right?

 

45 minutes ago, jordan said:

You are right about training with a club just at this point I don’t remember who

The Belgian club he trained at was Club Brugge, and he also spent time with Werder Bremen, Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cyle-larin-mls-major-league-soccer-orlando-city-besiktas-turkey-canada/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope a suitable loan goes through and Cyle regains his form. When fans, myself included, watch a live game emotion takes over and objectivity goes out the window. I re watched the Mexico game and Larin, mostly as a result of good hold up play, won a lot of fouls and  free kicks in the 56 mins he played ..did not count but it was close to double digits. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in what appeared to be a contain tactical objective. The run he made, which I am not convinced was offside, was a beauty and would have sent him in clear early in the game. Difficult to shine offensively when the team was not set up to attack in the first half but Cyle, I believe, did what was asked of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I do hope a suitable loan goes through and Cyle regains his form. When fans, myself included, watch a live game emotion takes over and objectivity goes out the window. I re watched the Mexico game and Larin, mostly as a result of good hold up play, won a lot of fouls and  free kicks in the 56 mins he played ..did not count but it was close to double digits. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in what appeared to be a contain tactical objective. The run he made, which I am not convinced was offside, was a beauty and would have sent him in clear early in the game. Difficult to shine offensively when the team was not set up to attack in the first half but Cyle, I believe, did what was asked of him

Yeah, watching the game I thought it was one of the better times I had seen him - given the role he was playing, the team we put out, and the opposition. Then I came here and lots of people were ripping on him so I wondered if I was just naive. 

All in all I still think it was reasonably solid.   Big ask for Larin, and he was far from perfect, but I thought there was definitely potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I do hope a suitable loan goes through and Cyle regains his form. When fans, myself included, watch a live game emotion takes over and objectivity goes out the window. I re watched the Mexico game and Larin, mostly as a result of good hold up play, won a lot of fouls and  free kicks in the 56 mins he played ..did not count but it was close to double digits. He did a lot of the heavy lifting in what appeared to be a contain tactical objective. The run he made, which I am not convinced was offside, was a beauty and would have sent him in clear early in the game. Difficult to shine offensively when the team was not set up to attack in the first half but Cyle, I believe, did what was asked of him

I also noticed his technically ability and first touch have significantly improved. I can't judge him based on his performance against Mexico because he was isolated for much of the match, and was playing out of position. He is a pure #9 and doesn't have the pace to be on the wings. He is still young and can turn his European career around if he keeps working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So 

lR6x_U0z_bigger.jpgSV Zulte Waregem

came 11th of 16 this year in the Belgium top flight. Hard to imagine they have the money to pay a salary like Cyle's. 

I personally think it is going to be great for him, I am optimistic about the move. 

I wonder what the transfer fee was? 

Zulte Waregem will look like geniuses if this pans out. Good for them and great opportunity for Larin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I wonder what the transfer fee was? 

Zulte Waregem will look like geniuses if this pans out. Good for them and great opportunity for Larin.

I think a loan usually does not involve a fee, you take that player's salary of his team's books and pay it to him. With, or so it appears, a clause to ensure that the player will benefit from the loan and will play. 

Because if Larin does not play, he disappears, then Besiktas would not have a  chance to get part of their transfer fee investment back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...