Cyle Larin

shermanator

Just now, Bertuzzi44 said:

I don't think he really deserves the benefit of the doubt. He lied about drinking and driving, then was caught driving on the wrong side of the road. Unlucky? Possibly, but I'm not giving him a pass.

Not saying he deserves a pass but do a poll and find out how many people have been stopped at a ride or just pulled over after 1 or 2 drinks and actually tell the cops, yes I had a couple.  Never happens.  I would guess that a very, very  large percentage will always say they haven't had anything. 

1 minute ago, JDub said:

Not saying he deserves a pass but do a poll and find out how many people have been stopped at a ride or just pulled over after 1 or 2 drinks and actually tell the cops, yes I had a couple.  Never happens.  I would guess that a very, very  large percentage will always say they haven't had anything. 

And how many of those people are driving head on to oncoming traffic?

Just now, Bertuzzi44 said:

And how many of those people are driving head on to oncoming traffic?

That's a good point and I am not saying he wasn't under the influence.  Just saying that lying about drinking is the normal answer.  Especially if he had a bunch.  He isn't going to come out and say yes sir, I had 10 vodka and redbulls.  I don't want it to sound like I am defending him for drinking and driving, far from it. 

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Judging by the clothing he's wearing in this picture, he may have gone straight from posting bond to a team event at the stadium with fans.

thats was last night, it was just posted today. 

5 minutes ago, JDub said:

It's always in a driver's best interest to say you've had nothing to drink.  Every time.   Roadside statements at that stage aren't even admitted into evidence, so it's not lke a judge can use that "lie" against you.

23 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

It's always in a driver's best interest to say you've had nothing to drink.  Every time.   Roadside statements at that stage aren't even admitted into evidence, so it's not lke a judge can use that "lie" against you.

shrug, I dunno, if they can smell alcohol and you know it, I would argue it's smarter to say you've had a few in the hopes that your honestly might save you.  If they're gonna breathalyze you they're gonna breathalyze you, and I think he said he could smell alcohol before he asked anyways.

not that it really matters at this point

1 hour ago, Varsity Tyler said:

Nah. Folks should simply take responsibility for their own actions. Cyle will have to do that here.

One of the reasons I got out of tending bar as a night gig was this very mentality. There was more than one occasion on which I called a cab for somebody only to watch them wander out into the street - seemingly waiting for said cab - and then get in their own car and drive away. I didn't trust the venue's proprietor to carry the correct insurance to protect me while in his employ, so I got the hell out of there before somebody else's life choices negatively influenced my own situation. And that's too bad since bartending was a fun gig at that point in my life. I really do dislike this typically Canadian welfare state mentality though - somebody else is automatically bears responsibility for the actions/outcomes/situation of others. Folks need to step up and use the pronoun "I" for things other than assigning blame.

Back on the soccer front - this isn't the best thing for CMNT PR, and just days after Toyota signed on! The Japs must be impressed ; )

1 hour ago, Varsity Tyler said:

Nah. Folks should simply take responsibility for their own actions. Cyle will have to do that here.

One of the reasons I got out of tending bar as a night gig was this very mentality. There was more than one occasion on which I called a cab for somebody only to watch them wander out into the street - seemingly waiting for said cab - and then get in their own car and drive away. I didn't trust the venue's proprietor to carry the correct insurance to protect me while in his employ, so I got the hell out of there before somebody else's life choices negatively influenced my own situation. And that's too bad since bartending was a fun gig at that point in my life. I really do dislike this typically Canadian welfare state mentality though - somebody else is automatically bears responsibility for the actions/outcomes/situation of others. Folks need to step up and use the pronoun "I" for things other than assigning blame.

Back on the soccer front - this isn't the best thing for CMNT PR, and just days after Toyota signed on! The Japs must be impressed ; )

Sure you take responsibility if found guilty. Im not saying the establishment is to blame for what Cyle did. They certainly didnt force him behind the wheel, but questions need to be asked. What preventive measure took place?

Standard replies to cops, I was driving the speed limit, I had my seat belt on, No you cant search my car, No I wont open my trunk and I havnt been drinking but I smell like booze because I was at a bar.    Cant hold the conversation with the cop against him.  

But I hope he pays his fines, loses his license, takes his suspension from the team like a man, does whatever the league says he has to do and learns from this.  You make a mistake, own up to it, make it right, dont do it again and hope it wasnt so bad that you cant be forgiven.  Make sure this is a one time thing and people can be forgiving.  He got so lucky no one got hurt, I got on the wrong side of a boulevard in a strange city once, and it took some quick reactions not to end up in a head on.    

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

What's staggering about athlete DUI's is that before he got into his car he should have called his agent and said "Send the office slappy to X bar. I've had too much to drink and I need my car tomorrow."

I think its important to reiterate, since most of the last page has been trying to rationalize this situation, that this is a grown man making somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000 USD a year, who could have called a number of resources for a ride home, but instead decided to drive at twice the legal limit, thereby physically endangering himself, his passenger, and the public. Hell, given the fact that he was driving on the wrong side of the road, who knows what happens if the cop didn't spot him. 

No excuses. Take responsibility, take whatever punishments are thrown at you by the CSA/MLS/OCSC and make damn sure this doesn't happen again.

42 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I think its important to reiterate, since most of the last page has been trying to rationalize this situation, that this is a grown man making somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000 USD a year, who could have called a number of resources for a ride home, but instead decided to drive at twice the legal limit, thereby physically endangering himself, his passenger, and the public. Hell, given the fact that he was driving on the wrong side of the road, who knows what happens if the cop didn't spot him. 

No excuses. Take responsibility, take whatever punishments are thrown at you by the CSA/MLS/OCSC and make damn sure this doesn't happen again.

Not sure why you quoted me, I completely agree. I personally believe punishments for DUIs should be much stiffer. 

I just find it interesting that so many wealthy athletes, actors, musicians choose to do this when they have people like agents, publicists and managers who are on they payroll to deal expressly with situations like this.

4 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

A change from being a douche. Hopefully this will motivate him even more and will have a positive impact for the CMNT. 

This is just dumb. How does a dui make someone a douche. He appears to be a good guy, works hard, does charity work ,proudly represents  his team and his country. Obviously he made a mistake, but that doesn't make someone a douche.

Most of the people posting on here have driven over the legal limit without even knowing. You can have 2 beers on a Friday afternoon after work and be over the legal limit. Everyone hears twice the legal limit and think the guy pounded  back a 24 when in reality that can be as little as 5-8 drinks. 

Just now, Stryker911 said:

This is just dumb. How does a dui make someone a douche. He appears to be a good guy, works hard, does charity work ,proudly represents  his team and his country. Obviously he made a mistake, but that doesn't make someone a douche.

Most of the people posting on here have driven over the legal limit without even knowing. You can have 2 beers on a Friday afternoon after work and be over the legal limit. Everyone hears twice the legal limit and think the guy pounded  back a 24 when in reality that can be as little as 5-8 drinks. 

No offence but yours is the attitude that I wish would change in this country. There is no excuse for driving over the legal limit and it is a completely dangerous and selfish thing to do. Having owned a bar for the entirety of my adulthood I'm happy that the younger people in this country seem to have a different attitude to those my age and older but there's far too many people who seem to think it's okay to "just have a couple" and drive home because "I only live a few minutes away."

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

He wont have any travel issues.  But this will hurt a possible transfer due to the bad optics.  Clubs dont want to be associated with this.  

Now, if I may speculate, based on what we know I see several possible red flags.  

Firstly a given standard drink equals roughly 20 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood.  He blew 180 mg, so thats at least 9 drinks in his body at the time he blew, but given that the body eliminates alcohol as soon as its ingested, to be steady at 180 for the time it takes to provide the 2 breath tests tells me that night he likely consumed 12-15 drinks in one sitting, if we are being kind and assuming he only drank at the bar for a few hours (he told the police he had just left a bar) and had not been drinking all day.  

Also, social drinkers almost never get their blood alcohol content this high.  Most first timers and young people I see with an out of the blue impaired charge blow 110-120 ish.  180 is a red flag.  Its a sign of an experienced drinker.  Many people cannot walk at 180, to get into a car and drive at 180 mgs and believe you can drive, you'd have to have built up a healthy tolerance for alcohol.  Not good.  

He is only 22.  21 is the legal drinking age in Florida ffs.  And he's already showing signs of having alcohol issues?   

Lastly, he has a game on Saturday, and he is getting absolutely shitfaced on the Wednesday prior?  What in the hell is going on Cyle? 

He is also Canadian where the legal age is 19 and realistically most people are drinking earlier so not sure the Florida drinking age makes much of a difference.

And ya he is 22 and has a game 3 days later. Is he supposed to be in bed by 10 drinking protein shakes? Let the guy live his life and not judge his mistakes.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No offence but yours is the attitude that I wish would change in this country. There is no excuse for driving over the legal limit and it is a completely dangerous and selfish thing to do. Having owned a bar for the entirety of my adulthood I'm happy that the younger people in this country seem to have a different attitude to those my age and older but there's far too many people who seem to think it's okay to "just have a couple" and drive home because "I only live a few minutes away."

I never said it was an excuse. I said this doesn't make him a douche and people need to realize they have probably driven over the limit as well before they criticize someone else for doing so.

12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

He wont have any travel issues.  But this will hurt a possible transfer due to the bad optics.  Clubs dont want to be associated with this.  

Now, if I may speculate, based on what we know I see several possible red flags.  

Firstly a given standard drink equals roughly 20 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood.  He blew 180 mg, so thats at least 9 drinks in his body at the time he blew, but given that the body eliminates alcohol as soon as its ingested, to be steady at 180 for the time it takes to provide the 2 breath tests tells me that night he likely consumed 12-15 drinks in one sitting, if we are being kind and assuming he only drank at the bar for a few hours (he told the police he had just left a bar) and had not been drinking all day.  

Also, social drinkers almost never get their blood alcohol content this high.  Most first timers and young people I see with an out of the blue impaired charge blow 110-120 ish.  180 is a red flag.  Its a sign of an experienced drinker.  Many people cannot walk at 180, to get into a car and drive at 180 mgs and believe you can drive, you'd have to have built up a healthy tolerance for alcohol.  Not good.  

He is only 22.  21 is the legal drinking age in Florida ffs.  And he's already showing signs of having alcohol issues?   

Lastly, he has a game on Saturday, and he is getting absolutely shitfaced on the Wednesday prior?  What in the hell is going on Cyle? 

It only takes one day to recover from a hangover really. Thoroughly brush your teeth, scrub your tongue, Neti pot to rinse the nasal cavity, take a good shit, sweat it out the alcohol from the night before and voila, good as new.

Regarding how many drinks he had, he eventually said 2 or 3 Vodka red bulls, which means he probably had 9 or up, the numbers you reference. However, I doubt he has a problem. He was at a club and most likely had bottle service with his friends and what you see in the picture below is probably an accurate depiction of what was on his table that night:

Bottle_Service_02.24232133_large.jpg

This gentlemen is the clubbing starter kit. You'll be knee high in ladies throughout the night with that next to you. If he pounded back a few too many, I think it was just a testament to the night rather than any underlying problem with booze.

8 hours ago, Oranje said:

My money is on him now moving to Europe at a discounted rate this summer transfer window. Kid still got some growing up to do...

Like Tiger Woods has growing up to do. ;D

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Somewhat understandable. This may be a situation where they may be making policy on the fly. I don't think a full Gold Cup suspension too harsh at all.

This isn't directed at you in particular Jonovision.

However, I just have to say this....what is this the fucking Dubin Inquiry? If this was Altidore, he'd have the whole USMNT (admin, coaching, players and fans) on his side going "Don't worry bro, we got your back. We'll make sure this goes away. We know mistakes happen." However, you'll want to do the oh so Canadian thing by taking a perceived moral high ground and throw our athlete under the bus and ridicule him? You're all wishing punishment on him? Unlike good old Ben, let's not do that this time for Larin's case.

Cyle, brah, if you're reading this thread, you just keep motoring along. You'll get through this and be better than ever.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Varsity Tyler said:

I really do dislike this typically Canadian welfare state mentality though - somebody else is automatically bears responsibility for the actions/outcomes/situation of others. Folks need to step up and use the pronoun "I" for things other than assigning blame.

But wouldn't you say it has more to do with liability and a lawsuit happy society?  No where is that more prevalent than in the States...you know, the home of the twinky defence and the McDonald's coffee lawsuit? 

17 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But wouldn't you say it has more to do with liability and a lawsuit happy society?  No where is that more prevalent than in the States...you know, the home of the twinky defence and the McDonald's coffee lawsuit? 

That coffee lawsuit was legit! It was served at more than 80 degrees Celsius and cause 3rd degree burns that required grafting! She was hospitalized for 8 days!

The important thing here is that Larin learns from this, and never drives drunk again. Ever. The on-pitch stuff really doesn't matter here. Apologize, accept whatever punishment may come his way, be thankful that no one got hurt in this scenario and ultimately chalk it up to an incredibly poor, and stupid, case of judgement. I don't think this affects his career greatly if this is his one and only offence, but another one, and his career is harpooned. 

Personally, I think Larin will be off the Gold Cup roster. If he is entered into a mandatory substance abuse program which has been 3 weeks for other MLS athletes (using CJ Sapong as an example), that means he will be out the day before Canada's opening game. Tough scenario for Zambrano and Canada Soccer, but that's the reality of the situation.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That coffee lawsuit was legit! It was served at more than 80 degrees Celsius and cause 3rd degree burns that required grafting! She was hospitalized for 8 days!

The lady only wanted her medical bills covered but Macdonalds laughed at her. She was harassed by people who believed the media spin for the rest of her remaining years.  Need to stop quoting this as a frivolous lawsuit case. Look into the facts. This lady was vilified by giant corporation now 25 years later people still spout the BS.

As for Larin, very disappointing judgement.